Cheapest place to buy Lunar Horses

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by silverzman, Aug 21, 2013.

1. JLentz

JLentz New Member

wsd,

that was not intended as a slight against you or your company,

it was just meant as I will no longer get caught uo with the launch hysteria and will wait to see what happens

you have been great to do business with

2. JLentz

JLentz New Member

thanks, but I understand that values can rise or fall

the point was that I could order today, for.same.price or cheaper maybe, and still receive them at the same time

so preordering(in.the states) really has.no.benefit..

3. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

Yes, hindsight is perfect. If we had all known we could order them today for cheaper and been assured of delivery who would not have taken that deal? Unfortunately when investing no one knows the future so we have to make decisions with the information available. It is just as likely that spot could have move against those who waited and they would then end up paying more. In 5 years time I am pretty sure those who own lunar horses will be happy with the purchase regardless of a dollar or two here or there.

4. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Amen!

5. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Not impressed with the mint's retail side of handling the release. One of the guys in our office tried making a large personal purchase (we didn't get a big enough allocation to let one staff member buy 500 for himself!) and the website kept failing on the last step of checkout - he rang and ordered over the phone, had to "guess" over the phone how many they had left (the customer service officer wouldn't tell him how many were available for order, just that there "wasn't 500 available"), so he ended up getting just over 100 coins at the $2/oz higher price.

Later that day 500 more popped up on the website. Retail appears to be deliberately throttling sales - I doubt anyone has been able to order 500 from the mint and get that price break, they certainly weren't taking phone orders for 500 when they obviously had more to release.

It would be sour grapes to point out that the people who paid money to FLY to the mint for the launch on 2nd September were also limited to 20 coins - and now the walk-up limit has also been removed.

I'll raise the issue with the mint - if they are going to invite the stacking community to come along and be there for a launch, either taking time off work that morning or an entire day for the many members who fly from interstate to participate, I would like to think that each attendee should be able to buy say a full box of 100oz of the silver, particularly if the artificial limit of 20 gets lifted for regular members of the general public a couple of weeks later.

6. evil_ss

evil_ss Active Member

I had the exact same problem buying online!

7. Scyb

Scyb Member Silver Stacker

People buy 500oz at a time????

8. danman49

danman49 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Same here, phoned the mint and they stated the 20 per person buying limit would not be lifted. 2 days later you can buy all you want BUT they trickle fed them out in lots of 400 or less. Not a happy camper!

9. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Perth made their retail policy so it was fair for people to grab a roll of 20 and of course there's many of you who have multiple accounts who grabbed more...good for you.

You've also had a fair-bight of the Cherry stacking plenty of 1oz horses from Perth Mint distributors well before Perth even had the coins for sale.

Now that there's more coins available at Perth, you are still un-happy (Greedy) because you want to buy wholesale volumes but can't because...Perth are again being fair to the average bloke.

I hope Perth continue to dribble out the coins for a few weeks so that a few more stackers can grab a handful or so at a reasonable price.

We've all been able to load-up from distributors since 22 August so...as I see it, Perth are doing the right thing by stackers.

I support Perth's retail policy.

http://www.perthmintbullion.com/au/blog/blog/13-09-18/Order_Limits_Removed.aspx#comments

http://www.perthmintbullion.com/au/Buy-Silver-Coins/1oz.aspx?size=18

H

10. Scyb

Scyb Member Silver Stacker

I think they are frustrated at the inconsistency by Perth Mint rather then the 20oz limit.

11. Silverman99

Silverman99 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thanks to this site I had the opportunity of attending the launch day at the Perth Mint Mon 2 Sept and did enjoy the experience being an avid Lunar and Kookaburra collector

Flew all the way over from Auckland taking three days of work to combine with a short break and now extremely disappointed as a stacker to have been limited to a purchase of only 20 Horses at the time and now read that this restriction has been lifted

Have attempted to place a larger order on the Perth Mint website and get chucked out each time on the last step of the check out also tried to call and place an order with no luck

12. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Doesn't bode well for the coin or series if they keep this up I'd say.

13. dollars

dollars Active Member Silver Stacker

"Not impressed with the mint's retail side of handling the release."

I know exactly how you feel GP.

I feel the same way and I am not impressed with some of the site sponsors handling of the release!

Anything similar to the dragon and the snake.?

Don't get involved in the hype unless you are willing to pay for it!

I am more than happy to buy from the mint. because they will pass on the volume discount.

Could you please name any site sponsors that have offered similar volume discounts as the Perth Mint does?

Also have any of the site sponsors had fluctuating stock levels?

14. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Well Gold Stackers sold rolls of 20 for bullion prices - on top of about ~130 sold at spot. Bit hard to offer discounts on 100 or 500 when our total allocation was under 1000.

15. wsd_collector

wsd_collector New Member

Hey not a problem. However, you also have to see that "Pre-orders" are different on a case by case basis, and you never know which side this is going to be on until after the fact, so as someone mentioned "Hindsight will always be 20/20"

Look at the Stock Horses for example...
    Pre-order batch 1 price: as low as $46
    Pre-order batch 2 price: as low as $52
    In Stock Price: as low as $55
    2 weeks later: as low as $60
    Currently: $66.99

Lunar Horses:
    Pre-order special: $36
    2 Week later price: $42
    Received greater allocation + spot falls --> Back on special @ $36
    2 weeks from now --> ??????

Most of the time pre-orders are the way to go with these things in my experience, however there's no telling what could happen, it could all be a big flop, and you end up paying too much, etc.

Just to give you an idea...we got gouged on these too. Bought a second batch at fairly high premiums (very close to what we were charging), and just 2 days later, the supplier cuts premiums to half. But can't do anything.

16. dollars

dollars Active Member Silver Stacker

Great job too GP and without a doubt I am sure the mint management knows your record of selling at these prices.

Any other site sponsors care to pass comment?

17. mtforpar

mtforpar Member

People or organizations selling these have to make a profit. If they don't the businesses won't be around long.

I just don't get the problem. Someone puts something for sale.....I take in all given information and decide to buy or not to buy based on that information. I do the same thing each time I make a purchase. Taking in the information available today and then looking backward at the situation a few weeks ago is fair enough practice if one wants to improve their decision making. I just don't feel one can look backward through a window and blame the vendor now that I know what I know today. The responsible party is in the mirror. For good or bad.

18. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

"I just don't get the problem"

PROBLEMS:

1. Overseas dealers have received before Australian Dealers- Why would this be the case?
    2. The limit is being changed daily 20 max - unlimited etc so no-one can make the best decision given there unique circumstances. (they need to keep a constant rule!) Why would this be the case?
    3. TIME - How much time has been wasted trying to check out with 200+ Horses only to find the check-out process fails at the final step rejecting quantities (I am guessing 100's of wasted hours combined!!!)
    4. manipulating supply by only making available small quantities to give the perception of smaller availabilities than is actually the case.

Id like to see Australians getting there shipments before overseas dealers, and id like the Perth Mint to make a decision - announce it and then stick to it, breaking there own rules is something Perth Mint is getting reputation for .. and this is extremely bad when we are relying on there trustworthiness.

I now see the Perth Mint as a RISK, you take on additional risk buying from Perth Mint when there policies are not set in stone.. when they break there own rules mid-game.. there are playing with your investment money.,. this is what scares me.. I will choose not to play with Perth Mint when they require me to take on to much risk when id otherwise just be speculating on the price of silver.

How can we make educated investment decisions when the games rules are being changed mid-game?, I like to have "perfect information" on as many variables as possible when investing otherwise im shooting in the dark.

19. db23

db23 Member

Ok, Apmex and Gainesville and most US dealers do this every year. If you watch Apmex's stock, they "sell out" probably 5 times a day. This is just Perth mint following the lead of what most of the largest dealers in the world do. I'm not saying that it's right or wrong, I'm just saying it's nothing new and certainly isn't unexpected. RCM does it to a lessor degree with their "numismatic" releases.

I couldn't disagree with this more. The point of a WORLDWIDE launch date is so that dealers around the world should be ready to ship at the same time. I can see why you'd want the Aussies to be able to hit the market with them first, but for a worldwide launch it just doesn't make sense. Not to mention that the series probably wouldn't be an annual sellout if this were the case, Perth doesn't want to upset the international community too much.

The one part that I think is a bit conflicting is that any Australian dealers are essentially competitors of Perth, which is likely why they'd be slower to ship to them and perhaps limit their allotment further. Perth is one of the few (only?) mints that sells bullion coins directly to the customers rather than forcing them to go through a dealer.

20. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker