Changing the way I think

Discussion in 'Silver' started by SilverKendo, Feb 21, 2014.

1. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

Hello all,

So since I've begun stacking and buying PMs I've found myself thinking about prices in terms of gold and silver spot price. When I go to a restaurant I think of my meal in oz of silver. I am starting to think of my pay in terms of how much silver per day I earn. And now I am thinking of larger purchases and paying my bills in terms of gold. Is this common or am I turning into a crazy person?

Cheers,
    Chris

2. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

No, that is the way i try and get a handle on values, now and after SHTF Day.

My Council Rates/City Taxes, A years supply of electricity, a weeks groceries etc.

Some bills need an ounce of Silver, others an ounce of gold, some need a handful of ASEs.

JMO

OC

3. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

Well at least i know I'm not alone. Gotta love the internet... gives folks like us a place to feel less crazy :)

4. Kota

Kota New Member

Hi all. I have been reading the site for a few months now and just signed up. Am not ashamed to admit that I often wake up and check spot and then directly to the site to see what everybody is discussing. This thread was the catalyst to signing up and actually communicating with you guys instead of being a fly on the wall. You guys (and girls) appear to be straight up shooters, I have found myself laughing at the responses to each other as you give little digs here and there while not always agreeing, however for the most part respecting, that each has own view and reasons for heading to the coin shop or hitting ebay to acquire. I have learned much from all of you. I promise not to go off on too many tangents and ramble with my views on Silver, or be an As*. As far as this thread goes and the reason it prompted me to sign up. The other day my kids wanted to go out to dinner. I explained that if we go out, it would cost about three to four ounces at spot. Bewildered a bit, They went to the store with me to buy fresh food. We had a great dinner, we grilled out steak and chicken and ate fresh healthy food that was better than the restaurant all with being able to talk about important things in a more comfortable setting than Applebees. So Today I took the saving and was able to add 2 extra ounces to the stack beyond what I would have been able to if we ate out. Winner Winner and better for it.

5. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

Kota,

Good story and much like my own. For my job I have to be able to pass an annual agility test. Buying silver instead of steak dinners has added to my stack (and honestly it is the very reason I have a stack) and it is helping me keep lighter for the test!

Chris

6. grinners

grinners Active Member Silver Stacker

Welcome Kota :)

7. Kota

Kota New Member

Thank You

8. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

That's what anybody that uses money, does.
    Well, maybe with the exception of thieves, that grab other peoples money as to avoid having to produce something others want in order to get their products. These don't know what working and earning is haha.

9. rastatodd

rastatodd New Member

Hello one and all.
    I have been neglecting this site for to long and want to get some fresh input into our sickness (Stacking PM). I to have an issue with seeing ways to save for an additional ounce to hoard. Packing my lunches to take to work has done wonders to my bulging hoard. Now I have had the ability to cross over into Au as well. Just want to get my feet wet here once again. I do love the fellowship here on Silver Seeker.:)

10. Andy28

Andy28 Well-Known Member

You run the risk of not enjoying life if you forgo something you want or want to do, because you could have bought some kooks or 10gm certicards. That said, it is a good filter to make sure you aren't being too frivolous. It is important to have balance.

11. klacey

klacey New Member

SilverKendo you are so not alone, I to find myself doing this on the little things. Like I would gladly part with 20 on a pizza meal, but wouldn't an ounce of silver. So thinking about the cost in silver has made me a bit more money smart. Don't get me wrong if I really want something I will get it or do it, but my money is wasted far less often.

You might like a guy on youtube called silverfish VT

12. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

I also buy various decoration stuff (that I like myself) as a kinda savings (although whose value is a silly fraction of what I put in silver). I regularly visit these stores and when I don't find something, I buy some more expensive food for the weekend, when I do, not. So essentially, I limit my spendings here my either one or the other, not both.
    The more expensive food leaves nothing left.
    The decoration stuff, stays.

13. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

G'day Chris

More power to you I say

14. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

I think balance is important as Andy says. What I find interesting is that since I've started to stack and change how I spend I actually have more money for things I enjoy doing or items I want to buy. The reality is I was spending too much on bad food. I would eat out most days 3 meals a day. I can spend $5 for a bagel and iced tea for breakfast or go to the store and get a weeks worth for $6. But it is stacking and that change in my thinking that has allowed me to do that. In a sense I've never really seen the value in cash fiat because it doesn't have as much. I saw that hamburger as more valuable than a few Washingtons(because it is). My understanding of money and value has changed and it has given me new goals. Except for my honeymoon this past June I haven't been on a real holiday since 2009, the last time I went to Japan. Since I've changed how I see money I've freed up enough to go on a vacation in April. Pretty cool. Thank you PMs.

15. grinners

grinners Active Member Silver Stacker

This is an interesting concept SilverKendo.

It is as though silver/gold allows one to better understand the opportunity cost of a purchase as compared to cash :)

16. LovingtheSilver

LovingtheSilver Active Member Silver Stacker

Hi Chris,
    I wouldn't say you are turning crazy but maybe pm fever as another suggested. Nothing wrong with pm fever but don't let it give you tunnel vision where you think PMs are the only thing worth holding (especially with all the end of the US dollar, hyperinflation, etc, etc stories) Those things MAY happen but it is a long time away, it's not going to happen tomorrow. I had a large % of my net worth in PMs in the past due to my tunnel vision/fever and it cost me. By not being diversified I missed out on gains in the stock market and real estate that have occurred in the last few years.
    I'm no financial guru, my current net worth proves this, but be aware of the importance of owning PMs but don't keep it in the forefront of your mind. I have about 40% of my net worth in metals which is a little heavy but am reducing accumulating amount and am buying a house soon (been saying that for years) once my probation period is over at my new job. We can have a crisis anytime so I won't be sticking my neck out too much by getting a large loan, but I will be happy to have a cheap house in my back pocket. Better than nothing and it is a start at least.
    All the best with your stacking.

17. SilverKendo

SilverKendo New Member

Sound advice LongtheSilver. PMs are certainly not my only investment and to be honest it is more of a hedge against my other investments. I own my home with a very small mortgage (small enough that if either my wife or I lost our job we could still make the payments on one salary) and I've just purchased some land in another state to either flip or build on (not sure yet). I have fine art which is nice because it holds value and doubles as nice decoration. I am paying into a retirement fund at work and a 403(b). A few ounces of silver a month isn't much as far as total money invested for me. I doubt it will ever be more than 20-25% of my total investments but because of the way it has made me view money and value it has been priceless.

Cheers,
    Chris