Centrelink system does'nt work.

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by TheEnd, Sep 13, 2013.

1. scone

scone Active Member Silver Stacker

2. Argentum

Argentum Well-Known Member

without this thread the average number of posts per hour(at least tonight) on site drops by half thats why i reckon it wont get closed

3. DanielM

DanielM Active Member Silver Stacker

I think this is entertaining but it is definitely not family friendly, this thread should be erased, as well as your presence in this forum

4. scone

scone Active Member Silver Stacker

could move it to JOTD

5. markcoinoz

markcoinoz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The End,

I agree with renovator.
    After reading through 7 pages, there is a lot of excellent advice.
    OK! I can understand your frustration.

Everyone goes through difficult circumstances at some stage of their life.
    Some financial, others with health issues or relationship issues.

The key is how you deal with the circumstances and overcome.
    Mate, that's what builds fortitude and character.
    There are many backbreaking jobs. I have a trade which was one of them.
    This is where you need to think outside the square.
    I no longer apply my trade. However, I do teach it and not the 9 - 5 normal time.

This gives me time to do the other things I like doing plus further study.

OK, if I was in your shoes, I would be looking at marketing myself into a small business.
    Only you know what your passionate about. Try to turn it into a business.
    Could be a Gardener - Landscaper - Mow Lawns - Painter - Refrigeration Mechanic - Dog Walker - Roofing Repairs - Handyman - Rubbish Removal.

Once you have worked out which one, get some cheap business cards made up and go out and visit your Friends - Pub - Sporting venues - local businesses and sell yourself. Its word of mouth. You do a top quality job with a good attitude and a smile, guaranteed you will be inundated with work.
    People are drawn to happy people. In Victoria there is a scheme called the NEIS Scheme. Its funded by the government to put people through a short course building a Business Plan of your business. After you have completed it, you sign a 12mth contract whereby they assign you a mentor to help you with your business and you are paid fortnightly for 12 mths = to unemployment benefits. You are allowed to make money from your business and still get full entitlement. There are many benefits. The primary advantage is the opportunity to network with other small businesses as well as business seminars to help improve your skills and innovative ideas.

The End, you need to get out of the rut you are in. Being around positive people is what will get you out of it. Being stuck in the Dole Queue is probably the worst place you can be. I would go so far as saying its "Entrapment". Anything is better than that. You want some cash? Sell your car or your motorbike or another asset. Even have a garage sale. Think of it like this. You can easily buy another asset once your business is up and running. Plus, it gives you some breathing space which it sounds like what you need. Good luck with it. :)

6. fiatphoney

fiatphoney New Member

TheEnd this is the best advice here that, perhaps, you seem to have taken the wrong way.
    It will ruin an interview any day of the week, and if it was 10 years ago, consider it irrelevant now. Simply that you felt you needed a change after 10 years.
    Employers don't want to hear sore back, 3 months off, stress, my job was boringly repetitive.
    Employers want to hear that you are fit and well, refreshed from having some time off work and are now ready and raring to go. Not needing time off at all in the immediate future. And that you want to contribute in a way that uplifts and encourages those around you that makes the workplace a positive experience, as opposed to bitching boredom, and hiring a liability.

Employers don't want to employ broken people. Long term unemployment breaks people. That is why it is easier to get work while still in the workforce, even if only a few hours a week or volunteering. Lots of judgmental jokers around who will condemn you, but the real trick in surviving unemployment is not just to screen out the haters, but to ensure that you don't condemn yourself - knowingly or unknowingly.

7. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker

That's excellent! There are a lot of "fukin morons" out there that can't maintain their own vehicles because they're "fukwits". That's what's called a market demand. Have you ever thought about telling everyone to "get turtled" and go and work for yourself? You never know, you could land a few contracts, employ a few trainees, become the quality manager overseeing the work of your team, build up a brand, a few more contracts....

Good luck in any case.

8. col0016

col0016 Active Member

TheEnd, comeon mate, you can't pull that crap on this forum.
    I get that you've received a lot of criticism on here from a lot of people with strong opinions about welfare programs, however at the end of the day throwing a tantrum won't make you any friends and certainly won't get you a job.

There is a lot of advice in this thread, I'd advise you read over it again and impliment some of it.

9. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

I agree,

We SHOULD increase the dole to a "living wage", preferably in line with AWE of about $72,000 a year, tax free of course!

Why should a bloke be "diminished" by having to front up at Centrelink to show how dedicated he is to getting off his arse? Why should he have to go through a search and interview system to try and find a job? It is asking too much to have a man get out of bed before 11AM anyway, especially after a hard night at the pub and pokies with your mates.

"Racism" against the unemployed I say!

....and TRIPLE the Age Pension, I need more money for silver!

OC

10. Tacrezod

Tacrezod Member

Funny you should ask, because yes, I know how to rebuild an engine. I know how hard being a diesel mechanic is. Especially working for small firms who like to substitute lifting gear and hydraulic presses with muscle power and big hammers.

A potted story of my life for anyone who cares to listen;

Left school (UK) at 16 and got on what was then called the "youth training scheme". Basically show up at a company for six weeks, make tea, walk to the shop four times a day and sweep up inbetween, all for 25 quid a week. The other six weeks you attend college (TAFE) to work towards trade cretificates. I took an interest in the work and in heavy plant in general and must have been an OK worker because I was still patiently brewing up and going to the shop when I was 20 years and 364 days old. On my 21st birthday, I politely requested to to be employed on full wage. My request was politely tuned down so I politely walked out of the yard with cries of "no wait! you can have full money" ringing in my ears.

Couple of weeks later, I got a full time job on skilled wage. I made myself useful, watched and learned from other blokes who knew things I didn't and tought blokes who didn't know things I did. The work was physically hard but I enjoyed the challenge and got satisfaction from doing a good job (still do) and was informally promoted to leading hand.

Around this time, the internet was invented and BOOM, a whole world of knowledge opened up for the willing keyboard-carrot-spanker (Tm). At night, I went on message boards and forums, studied manuals, researched problems we had had during the day and generally became a diesel mechanic nerd.

Another few years passed and I was entering my thirties. The back and knee aches were starting to become more frequent and were starting to concern me a little (not to mention the 14hr days, pissing-down-rain, stinking of diesel, incidental cuts, burns, crap-in-the-eye, long term industrial deafness, piles and baldness) so I applied for and got a managers job.

Well, acouple of years passed and it began to dawn on me that I had reached the pinnacle of my career. Compared to Australia, not much heavy machinery business goes on in the UK and my future stretched out bleakly before me. I'd always fancied having a look at Australia. I'd get off on the images of the big mining machines, non-existent in the UK and I kinda thought that it wouldn't be so bad working hard, if you've got a bit of sun on your back.

Anyhoo, I convinced my better half, and some keyboard-carrot-spanking (Tm), 18 months and around $12000 later we were the owners of shiny new skilled-independent visas.

Took the kids out of school, sold the house, paid off the mortgage, flew to Aus, booked into a rental unit, bought the paper and started looking for a job.

3 weeks later, I'm back on the tools in a (reasonably) well paid job and, yes, the sun's on my back and a smile's on my face. Turtling fantastic!. A couple of years later, I buy a 10 year old ute, quit the job and start up on my own.

Fast forwrd to now, I've an acre of land, I've men I command and I've always a shilling to spare. So be easy and free when you're drinking with me, I'm a man you don't meet every day.

But anyway, TheEnd. IMO, being a good diesel fitter isn't a job. It's a vocation. (Much, I imagine, like cheffing) If you really want to get back into it you've got to get enthusiastic. Join some forums. Read some online manuals. Talk about it at the pub. You'll bore your non-diesel-fitter mates shitless but someone will overhear you and get into your conversationin. They'll introduce you to someone else who knows someone who's looking for an enthusiastic fitter.

It may seem hard right now when you're at a low ebb, but honestly, you've got to make your own luck. Centerlink won't.

11. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

THAT is the immigration scheme this country needs!

well done, you are an asset to OZ.

pity about the funny/pommy accent!

OC

12. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

Just been to a job interveiw with 'Skilled'....They have a 3 month temp job going at HSV cars fitting brakes about 45 minutes away......$22 per hour......I jumped on it!

13. PMS

PMS New Member

I rebuilt an engine in my bedroom once and lifted it into my car without a mechanical lifter... do I win a prize?
    I finished my automotive apprenticeship in 1980. Worked on Mercs for several years, fitted aircons, worked in smash repairs, auto electrics, rebuilt tractors (inc diesels, transmissions, final drives, hydraulics, injectors etc).

After that worked in audio/visual sales (Brash's before they went bust), sound mixer (live and recording) disability care worker, push bike courier, security equipment manufacturing (wore ten hats, got paid for wearing one), telecommunications technician (4 years travelling the world) and more recently photographer and now video/audio production. I could mention a dozen other diverse jobs but I may just bore you.

I left the automotive trade because, apart from the low pay compared to the building trades, I discovered it was full of... fukwits! ;)

I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder! ;)

PS: Oh yeah and I have had a job punchin' keys too building websites...

14. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The New Enterprise Incentive Scheme is national - I went though it in NSW and it was a great experience that helped me a lot.

Not having to worry about where that first couple of hundred dollars a week is coming from is brilliant when you're busy trying to establish a new business. You have way less stress but the most important thing is you have extra time to spend planning, researching and working in your business.

I did my NEIS course about 5-6 years ago and the businesses I've helped start since then will probably have (collectively) about 50 people on the payroll by the end of the year.

15. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

Well its a hard trade especially with all the technology these days.....keeping up with computer systems and engine magement and electronic control units and sensors etc etc.......And ye the worst part is it just doesn't pay very well.

Well I have settled down a bit today now that I should be working by Friday......I'll bet something goes wrong though.

16. PMS

PMS New Member

Hmmm... could it be you are setting yourself up to fail?
    Sounds like your attitude could do with some 'engine management' ;)

17. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well Done!

Now we can all get some sleep. :)

18. fosinator

fosinator Member

You gotta change that outlook man, cos it will if you think that way.Good luck.

19. col0016

col0016 Active Member

It's fucked up that you'll get $22 p/h as a mechanic and I get $20 at safeway for my part time job, $30 on Sundays.

20. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

http://www.fairwork.gov.au/pay/national-minimum-wage/Pages/default.aspx