Centrelink system does'nt work.

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by TheEnd, Sep 13, 2013.

1. fosinator

fosinator Member

I get $13 p/h- Dad owns the business so I'm lucky enough to be taking control of it when the time comes.I still put in 45 hours p/w though and have 4 kids

so $22 p/h isnt that bad.

Im quite happy with what I earn.I'm a fitter by trade and could earn much more but quality of life is more important.Yes more money can give a better quality of life for some but as long as my family is healthy,I have a little left for a bit of beer, silver and the odd rc plane, I'm happy:)

2. col0016

col0016 Active Member

I'm part time not casual. If I was casual I would be on $24.

When I'm the supervisor I get $22-23 lol.

Most people don't like working at Woolworths... but for what we do we get paid very well.

3. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

Our daughter is a Produce Manager in Coles.

She is on about $55,000 (~$26 an hour) a year which is an effing disgrace.

OC

4. col0016

col0016 Active Member

Yeah being a department manager is definitely a waste of time, especially since most end up doing overtime without pay anyway.
    Being a store manager however is pretty lucrative, depending on the store size you can get $100k-$200k and a car + bonuses.

5. Old Codger

Actually, she loves it!

But they sure take advantage of a Manager keen and willing to work.

OC

6. col0016

col0016 Active Member

I mean financially a waste of time.
    I'm not to sure about in produce, but for front end and grocery most managers do at least an extra 5 hours a day which essentially brings their wage per hour down to $23 or so and they obviously don't get extra on Sundays... so yeah, I wouldn't even consider being a department manager when I could just be a supervisor for 38 hours per week and make $48k.
    The extra responsibilities and the minimum 7 extra hours per week just isn't reflected in the $7k extra per year.

Even better would be to just be a duty manager (store manager after 5 and on weekends), my mate gets like $45k for only like 25 hours per week. Sure there are more responsibilities, but the work is easy.

7. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

No wonder your username is PMS :p:

8. scone

scone Active Member Silver Stacker

gone quiet, he may have got a job

somehow I doubt it

9. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

He got a 3 month temp job. Bigger question is whether he has the foresight to position himself to be in a better position in 3 months time when the contract is up or the cycle repeats itself.

10. scone

scone Active Member Silver Stacker

Happy to be wrong with my previous post

I wish The End all the best with this opportunity.

11. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

Going for safety test in morning tmrw then hopefully start Friday... Wish me luck I need it.....thanks for the support some of you have given.

12. markcoinoz

markcoinoz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Good luck with it TheEnd.

Over & Out :D

13. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

Wish you all the best TheEnd

Hope you can turn this 3 month opportunity into something longer lasting

I highly recommend you read "Rich Dad Poor Dad" if you haven't already.
    I wouldn't usually recommend this book as I don't agree on the bias to property and Kiyosaki can be a bit of a dick sometimes,
    But it would definitely give you a new perspective on work and earning money

14. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

^ And 'Richest Man in Babylon" by George Clason

15. SilverSaviour

SilverSaviour New Member

Blame should never be on those who take advantage of centrelink payments. It is there and available, it IS going to be used.
    Our energy should be directed at the absurd amount of money allocated to these programs, and the broad scope of eligibility.
    We want to help the poor, not the lazy, unmotivated, and greedy.
    Most of the poor in Australia have TVs, cars, iphones etc. The poor today are much wealthier than at any point in time in history. And yet we keep providing for them.
    I say we ONLY help the TRULY needy, and only temporarily (if applicable).
    Of course it would be much better for charities to arrange this, they are far more efficient.

16. Old Codger

SS,

Over here in the 1890s depression, there was NIL government assistance to its victims, my great grandfather was one of them, and he ended up suiciding in the Yarra River. The Churches and the rich Christians etc did what they could.

In the 1930s Depression there was a 'Sustenance' ("Susso") payment that was a tiny fraction of a mans weekly wage. Again the Churches did what they could. (I cannot give a reference but the NSW Governor, Sir Phillip Game,
    the one that sacked komrade Jack Lang, passed his entire salary to charities to assist the poor.)

Now, living off the taxpayer is a lifestyle decision without any real time limit. A limit rarely enforced.

OC

17. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The historical stuff was interesting but the above is complete rubbish. You obviously have nothing like real experience, not even vicarious, of the system as it's actually applied.
    You can either put up with some 'malingerers' living on pittances or live in an environment like the United States with public begging sleeping on the streets, petty crime, worse dug use, prisons and nut-houses crammed to the rafters or locums keeping people on anti psychotic drug regimens. Most people aren't going to just go away and quietly die for your convenience. They'll go out making a stink. Cost you money either way.

18. Old Codger

"You can either put up with some 'malingerers' living on pittances or live in an environment like the United States with public begging sleeping on the streets, petty crime, worse dug use, prisons and nut-houses crammed to the rafters or locums keeping people on anti psychotic drug regimens. Most people aren't going to just go away and quietly die for your convenience. They'll go out making a stink. Cost you money either way."

Care level =ZERO.

And if they break the law, we should do what the Yanks do, and lock them up! The above suggestion is pure blackmail, "give me more money, or I will steal your property"

MY 'real life experience' is 36 years of work and taxes, simple really!

OC

19. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It doesn't matter what your "care level" is, what finicky said is the reality.

People have a sense of self-preservation so if times get tough they'll do whatever they need to do to survive. If things get bad, do you really think "saving" $15,000 a year on an unemployment payment is worth the cost if the result is a surge in $100,000 a year bills for putting people in prison?

Looking to the Americans for guidance is a great idea though: that's exactly how you shouldn't handle social problems. Firstly, it's expensive. Secondly, and most importantly, it doesn't work.

As it stands, the fraud rate Centrelink experiences is miniscule so overall, it's easier (and cheaper for the taxpayer) to just accept the reality that a small number of people will always try to rort the system but that even though that occurs, the system still manages to prevent or reduce a lot of really nasty social problems.

20. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Be at least a little bit fair about comparing the US system to ours. Their stupid war on drugs, excessive police powers and continuous insistence on creating mentally and physically screwed up veterans plays a huge role in forcing people into the Government funded rape rooms at a rate second to none in the world (except perhaps North Korea) which creates yet more mental problems. The US Government is largely creating their own social problems which they then don't deal with compassionately. In contrast our system (currently) does not result in anywhere near as much social dislocation.