Cave art by Shanghai Mints - 3rd brass medal - THE YUNGANG GROTTOES

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by andrewlee10, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

I'm afraid that might already be too late..

Good for seller, not so good for buyer. :(

2. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I do think there's a difference between people making mention of coins that they aren't very enthusiastic about them self ( I see that as marketing ) vs sharing pics, videos, or thoughts on a coin or medal that the person sees as aesthetically appealing (beautiful) or culturally important.

I share thoughts and pics of the Chinese medals because I really like the one's I am sharing about...even if I don't own them.

But I get what you are saying AndreLee. We should count our blessings that the Chinese medals aren't marketed well because otherwise they'd be gone before we could ever buy one or the prices would be way higher....I get that.

3. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes, This my point

4. mmissinglink

So, is your point that zinc is a more durable additive than tin making brass more durable than bronze? I'm asking because I'm too lazy to research it....and besides you are the one who made the claim of durability in the first place. :)

I'd gobble up Chinese bronze medals if only the one's I like were made in bronze....most are not, most are brass. Don't get me wrong, I like brass. Sometimes brass, if it is finished or treated in a particular way can almost look like gold (depending on the design). Now this is coming from someone who hasn't seen a lot of gold coins but still I think my argument is fair.

After all. look at the brass Great Wall medal in this thread...sort of looks a little like gold in some angles to my eye:
    http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-62267-chinese-medals-silver-isn-t-the-only-composition.html

5. Gatito Bandito

Again, really depends on the composition percentages, the alloy processes used, and even what it's tested against. But overall, I believe brass is superior to bronze in many ways.

Yes, I've done a bit of research before all this, as I was curious, myself. :D

And yep, at least for the two medals that I have, brass in person most definitely looks like gold, at least to some degree. Like some sort of weird hybrid.

I wouldn't stack it exclusively, but it's a nice change of pace, and adds some variety to the collection.

Just as copper & bronze can do. ;)

Plus, there are some pieces that simply don't come in Ag -- but still cool designs, worthy enough to pick up in another metal/alloy.

Ain't nothing wrong with that!

6. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

Good thread. And Andy, having fun with you of course. We good friends, and thought I'd poke fun. Your pictures are just fine. It gives an idea of the beauty and majesty of art.

And I agree, I don't want any of the Chinese dealers to develop a marketing arm like the Perth. Maybe I start to tone my marketing efforts down too. Who benefits from higher prices? Not us. LOL.

7. Gatito Bandito

Throttle back a bit..

Then when sellers start privately complaining to you about slow sales, dial it up a notch again. :D

Medal sellers still bawk bawk, though. ;)

Nah, I know slabbing is an expensive time-consuming pain & a risk. But, customers demand!

8. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

Hahahah. You are absolutely right. :)

If you want to sell it in the future then better to keep it in pouch. But pictures are better if they are "naked". :)

9. mmissinglink

Yes, seems like the graded medals are gaining in favor / desire by Western collectors over the raw medals. It's not surprising because at least you know you are getting the real thing and those huge fatty slabs with big beautiful Chinese medal in them are kinda awesome in the hand.

It's not easy to not share info and pics of new Chinese medals I really like a lot. But yes, clearly since this new section on the SS forum has been given a new name and a new life, looks like some of the current and new Chinese medal prices are climbing (not my intention....I prefer low prices so I can afford these gorgeous medals)....simple supply and demand.

There's no harm though in sharing info, pics, and videos of Chinese medals that have been released a couple or few years ago.

So stay tuned...I will share a beauty in one of these Chinese medals threads that I guarantee will make some members here drool - not because it is high value but because it is aesthetically beautiful.