Carded Koala 1 oz and 1/10 oz

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by bloomst, Sep 13, 2015.

1. bloomst

bloomst Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So now that both of the carded koala silver coin series has ended, will this in future be a set that people look for?

I haven't touch the 1/10 koala due to the high premium, so I probably won't start buying them. And for the 1oz carded koala, I haven't really noticed any price rise in the secondary market, other than the PM or WMF carded 2007-2008. The 2012 that has one of the lower mintage also hasn't been much transaction both in here and ebay.

What are your thoughts?

2. Silverman99

Silverman99 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think the carded koala was spoilt with the issue of the coloured version for the past couple of years and I have not even seen a 2015 carded koala if there is such a beast

Agree the premium on the 1/10 in my mind has not made it worth collecting and don't hold any either and no intention of stacking

For those avid collectors of koala's I feel that given time they will be sought after and as you rightly point out the 2012 will hold value

Not wishing to take your thread in a different direction but interesting to note that the 2016 Koala mintage they have discontinued the 1/2oz and 10oz and from what I've been seeing most Australian dealers are now out of stock for the 2015 issue and now the 2016 1oz Koala a limited mintage of 300,000

My point being is that I feel the 1/2oz could be the sleeper in the pack and become the more sought after coins and fetch a premium followed by the 10oz Koala for those looking to get a set if each

The koala in my opinion going forward could be the new Kookaburra for collectors

I stand corrected on all of the above and welcome comment

3. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

I dont care for the cards! I got a 2007 with a card because that was the only 2007 I could get,didnt stay in the card for long , pity the carded versions have a different capsule :(

4. bloomst

This could be a strategy decision by PM to move back Koala within the Kook/Lunar pack, being the "premium" bullion coin over the lower premium coin without capsules.

In essence, I think the Koala coin is a sleeper...whether the market will agree or not, it will be a different thing.

5. bloomst

Yeah, I get annoyed when I bought 2007 or 2008 Koala and it comes with "free" card and then the frantic search trying to find some older style capsule...sigh.

6. Silverman99

Silverman99 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Totally concur with your thoughts that the koala is a sleeper and time will tell

Check out the mintage numbers of the 2014 1oz Koala and can not find one of these for love or money from a dealer try and find a roll of these for sale

The only Koala still readily available is the 2011 but then that was hay day of spot price and this kept churning out from Perth Mint to meet demand at the time with 985,000 in the market