Capsules, flips, tubes or cardboard holders?

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by goldpelican, Jan 24, 2011.

1. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

What's your preferred method of protecting gold coins in your stack? I've been buying capsules as they can be opened and the coin weighed, but notice many stackers prefer to use cardboard holders. Lately though I've started getting some coins in plastic flips... got a bit of everything now.

Haven't got the problem yet where tubes would be more economical for stacking gold coins, but they're another option.

What's your preference and why?

2. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

I've only been stacking for a few months ... but I like capsules. Primarily because you can easily take the coin out for verification (weight, diameter).

3. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Cardboard 2 x 2's are cheap and easy to line up.
    Cost of one capsule = 10 2x2's. Go in albums or in boxes so easy to display. Don't scratch easily.

Capsules float in boating accidents.

4. Boyo

Boyo Active Member Silver Stacker

For ease of storage and display the 2x2 s are the best for me.There is an issue with staples and or poor sealing of holder,though
    I like the plastic capsules but there is so much bulk involved.I recently bought an Air Tite album to display my 1oz kook collection.Even thought the album is fairly compact it takes considerable packaging to house the whole 22 coins.Capsules/cardboard insert /plastic sleeve ( page) and album cover.
    Looks pretty smick ,but combersome. :)

5. goldpelican

That's what is starting to turn me off the capsules a bit - the bulk. I recently lined up 5 x 1/10oz gold coins next to a 1/2oz button bar, and the compactness of the 1/2oz bar was astounding compared to the same weight in encapsulated coins.

A number of recent purchases have been in the plastic flips and come with a small paper insert that you can write or print details on - while still being able to remove the coin to weigh etc. Might keep them in those for a while and see if they grow on me. If I get a coin in a cardboard 2x2 the first thing I do is bust it out and weigh it. They are popular though and there's plenty of storage options for them.

Mind you I've got a 1/10oz AGE in an NGC slab - now THAT is bulky!

6. ilikecoins

ilikecoins Active Member Silver Stacker

capsules are sexy :D

7. ausct

ausct New Member

Thinking of the same thing myself. Anyone have any problem with gold coins in capsule or cardboard after a period of time?

8. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm personally a very big fan of the Credit Card containers for 24k pure gold bars. Everything you need is printed on the card and it's tamper proof - perfect for my needs.

But they don't do this for coins, so I think the good old capsule is the best play if it's 24k pure. One drop on the tiles with anything less could put a serious dent (pun intended!) into the value of your coin for anything less than melt!

9. goldpelican

Well I just put a bunch of sovereigns into self-sealing 2x2 cardboard holders - very happy with the results. Not a fan of staples but the self-sealing ones are great. Now I just need a holder box to put them in.

[​IMG]

Will keep with the capsules for some other coins, but for sovereigns I think I'll stick to 2x2 as the ones I got today (22.5mm) are a perfect fit.

10. Dwayne

Dwayne New Member

ok, stupid question but by now everybody probably knows that I know about as much about coins as your average goldfish, but where do you get cardboard holders like that?

11. goldpelican

Coin shops ;)

12. Dwayne

Dwayne New Member

need to find one of those then :)

13. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Peter Strich sells them in Melbourne . google for online sales

14. goldpelican

Funnily enough that's where these came from.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

16. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

I keep my FDC and proof gold coins in original mint issued capsules inside boxes designed for the size of coin(s).
    My sovereigns and half sovereigns in a coin album which has small pockets on each page, or just loose in a tube or small box. Don't care about wear & tear on 100 year old circulated coins.
    My bullion krugerands loose in a carboard box as no-one cares about how they look - only what they weigh.

17. srebrni

srebrni New Member Silver Stacker

Plastic sleeves are good option for those who like coins in an album, IMO. You can mix and match the sizes on the same page. It looks good and is more compact than the holders in the box.

You could use holders in an album too, but sleeves will fit more coins because they don't have the cardboard surroundings. Not to mention it's a hassle to take coins out, and you can't reuse the holders.

One advantage holders and capsules have is that they are air-tight, though.