Canadian cougar opinions

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by upandaway, Oct 11, 2011.

1. upandaway

upandaway Member

Hi guys,

I just wondered how you feel about it being a must to purchase the new cougar if collecting this wildlife set as a semi-numismatic/silver pullback buffer play? I have some of what I consider the beautiful grizzly and have hopefully been fortunate enough to at last find a few timber wolves at a decent price yesterday.

I know the cougar has had a very luke warm response (definite head issues) but surely if people are collecting this series it is going to be a begrudging forced to buy kind of thing and thus prices will still remain solid? The other two have started at reasonable prices and have now risen especially the wolf.

I am in no mans land with this one; whether to buy some or just add to my grizzly's. I am hoping there will be a premium for complete sets but would appreciate your thoughts? Anyone else passing on this or thinking the same?

2. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If you have the others, you can't not get 1 or 2 Cougers.

3. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

depends on the alternatives. I would rank it (@ original bullion prices that is) 2011 pandas > 2012 kooks > 2012 cougars

4. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

+1

I would buy a couple Cougars, but if you're speculating, I suggest buying the others while the gettins good. You should be able to get Cougs for a reasonable price for the next several months at least.

5. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

We all saw how quickly the 20 S1 lunar sets sold. I am buying them to keep up my sets. Mintage is 1 million and that is millions less than mintage for ASEs, Maples, Pandas, Philharmonics, etc. I didn't like the Grizzly either, but it has done well in the market and the Timberwolf has done very well. So far, I am very impressed with how quickly the coins in this series have gained value.

6. Irondog

Irondog New Member

+1

Get a few Cougars....buy all of the Grizzlies you can get your hands on...assuming they're still available and resonably priced where you live.

7. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

goldmart.com has some grizzlies or did the other day. Diablo has an with goldmart and we will see if they are reliable. For those in AU, Maggie has Cougars.

8. Irondog

Irondog New Member

^^ Wow, thanks. Goldmart's offices are a 10 minute drive from my home...and they do have Grizzlies, Cougars, ASE's and Pandas in stock at the best prices I've seen. Items in their "Daily internet specials" section seem like a great deal. NTR 10(ten)ozt bars @ 99cents over spot beats the next-best deal I've seen by 61cents...a 38% lower premium. Gonna have to put together an order to try them out.

As a side note, bullion purchases totaling more than $1500 are exempt from state sales tax here in California(7.75%). You can mix and match different types of bullion to get to the $1500 threshold. Just info for all ya'lls personal edification...

9. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You are so lucky!

I used to look at some of the American Private mints and I couldn't believe how low the premiums on the generic rounds were.

At the time the Aussie dollar was well below the American one and silver was relatively cheap anyway so I made do with locally sourced pre decimals.

edit, I think the cougars look terrible but if you can get them cheap why not, you will always have the option of selling them as sets or as singles. There are enough people that seem to want them but I would stick to ones that actually look good.

10. Loxmyf

Loxmyf Member

My cougars arrived from Bullion Bourse today. They look fantastic in the flesh.

11. Dandan

Dandan New Member

I knew they'd look alright once in the hand. People have been too harsh on them. Hangin to get mine!

12. ziku1

ziku1 Member

was thinking of investing in the canadian wildlife series, but i was a bit concerned by the frequent claims of milk spots forming on coins from the canadian mint and since the coins seem to be gathering numismatic value, that may reduce the price it can be sold for.

im looking at getting semi numismatic bullion coins, ie lunars, pandas, kooks. although with the large mintage increases the panda is looking less attractive. currently have lunars and pandas,

still tossing up between kooks and canadian wildlife series.

any other suggestions?

13. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

I am hoping to collect the series and already have about 50 Wolves & 50 Grizzlies. The pumas seem to be overpriced right now and I haven't purchased any yet. You stackers in the USA have it made - low premiums & no taxes.

14. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

+1
    It's like the Lunar II mouse. Gotta have it if you're collecting the series. As a stand alone coin the mouse might have sales of maybe 100 LOL

15. Irondog

Irondog New Member

The puma/cougar/mountain lion can be had for spot+$3.75 from a local vendor (Goldmart.com)....look under silver categorie, then click on the Canadian Maple Leaf section. How much are they in the UK?

The Cougars do look much nicer in hand...the Grizzly bear looks tiny, comparing the coins side-by-side...I'll have to post a pic.

16. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Once they get the dreaded "milk pox", who will pay you a premium for them? Consider this upon purchasing..

1for1

17. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

Put them in an airtite and the chances of this will be minimized a bit.

18. Irondog

Irondog New Member

[​IMG]

The big kitty makes the bear look tiny. Poor Grizzly is aboot the same size as baby Panda...

[​IMG]

19. rick_au

rick_au Member

Received these from bullion bourse a few days ago and I cant say I'm very impressed.

The second photo of the cougar highlights all of this black dirt which is on the coin. There is also a bit of damage to the rim.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Couger (both sides)

20. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

Wow! That's a candidate for a return if I've ever seen one. I'm sure the retailer would be happy to exchange it and pay for your shipping back even if it's not part of their normal policy.
    This should reignite the debate on whether retailers should encase coins. My opinion in a previous thread was they should offer the customer the option for a fee of course to have it encapsulated or at the very least staple the damn thing in one of those cheap paper coin holders.
    IMO opinion it's a way of telling the customer what their thought of.
    I've given two retailers here a piece of my mind for sending loose wildlife. Those cheap holders that are stapled cost pennies in bulk and I don't want to hear about how low the sellers profit margin is. Charge a tad more and advertise that you give enough of a damn to protect your investment where your competition doesn't. They could even use a picture of your coin as an example in their ad.