'C' mintmarked $1 uncirc

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by Loxmyf, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Loxmyf

Loxmyf Member

Sitting here at the RAM with my raffle ticket to the last 2010 'c' mintmarked $1 coin pressed. It includes a frame and certificate. Wish me luck (unless you're here too in which case I'll fight you for it). Tomorrow morning the first through the door gets to buy te first pressed 'c' mintmarked 2011 uncirc coin, also with frame and certificate. The family after that have been lined up since 11 this morning.

2. Boyo

Boyo Active Member Silver Stacker

I admire your dedication...good luck with the stampede :)

3. Loxmyf

Loxmyf Member

There was maybe 50 people there. I didn't win.

I was going to hang around to see it pressed, but there was a kid pressing 42 of the blighters to fill his plastic page. By 4:15 he still had 20 to go, and had to let people who were only after 1 or 2 jump in between his. The winner was still waiting and I gave up waiting to see.

I'll show up tomorrow, but as there's no chance to be the first, I won't lose sleep to get in line.

4. kaz

kaz New Member Silver Stacker

Did you make it for this morning, my daughter and I wanted to being 1-1-11 but the thought of 24 hours travel was too much, coupled with the expected temps. What is the coin this year? Hope you got into the first 100. We made it one year with a 3rd and 4th. It was special a certificate and doing it this year would have been more so, but that is life. Be interested to know if it was the rams head coin? Have a great 2011.

5. Loxmyf

Loxmyf Member

It opens at 10am. I'm a 15 minute drive away, so will look at getting there at about 9:30. number 111 would be nice :)

I fully expect the same kid will be there pressing 42 of the new one, just to hold the line up some more.

6. alexisio

alexisio New Member Silver Stacker

should put a limit on the amount your able to press?

7. kaz

Ooh I am so envious of you - 15 mins. I think that they restricted the number the year we went. Of course it got quieter as the day wore on. But that first 100 was hectic. Good luck hope you manage to get your certificates would be a bonus. I see on the mint site it is to be the ram. Lovely coin as predecimal.

8. Loxmyf

Loxmyf Member

I got delayed at home, so by the time I got there the doors were open. The first 100 of the 150 standing outside since before opening received a ticket of some description to say they get the first 100 pressed coins, if they want more, they get to line up at the back of the queue.

Seeing they only counted the first few, there's no benefit to stand in line. I'll go back in a few days when the excitement has died down.

The frame is bloody big though. A3 sized frame for a $1 coin.

9. kaz

Never mind there are still other "mint" benefits to being 15 mins away throughout the year. :)