Buying 'Random Date Silver Coins'?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Sven Montgomery, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Sven Montgomery

Sven Montgomery New Member

2. StewyD32

StewyD32 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If you are buying in the hopes of making money, buy anything as close to spot as possible. These will be generic bars and coins.

If you are buying to have pretty designs.... Well that's up to you so don't expect the same buyer range as the generic bars and coins as above.

You can get higher premium coins and bars but currently it is more easy to sell generic bars and coins than higher premium coins. This is just my standing and how I view silver and the market at the moment, I'm sure other people with a stack of high premium items might say something different

3. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

due to milk spots, the older years gov issued coins can be cheaper and if the purpose is just for stacking, locked away... then the cheapest the better
    the generic can actually cost more if you pick each of different year/pattern relatively depend on locations

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  4. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

That

"Totally random - you could receive RCM Silver Maples, American Silver Eagles, Perth Mint Silver Kangaroos, Austrian Mint Philharmonics - basically any legal tender silver coin in varying condition, from scruffy to mint, sourced from buybacks or excess inventory. Unencapsulated."

...surely isn't random, come on, what would you do in their place, pickpecking the scratched, the most boring designs, the ugly in general.
    Just look a the picture: a bunch coins throwed on a pile, THE way to scratch them. And the picture shows only ASE's, which is surely NOT a random choice of the seller. It's just a lure to a bunch damaged etc coins.
    And, the seller safeguarded himself against complaints along that text, so you have no claim basis.

Even 40 identical coins look better than 40 ugly scratched ones.
    You will be buying what the French name "carte blanche".
    This isn't a charity market, it's a zero sum market, where ones gain origins from anothers loss, and handing carte blanches is THE way to be among the latter, in this case you having to sell them as scrap.

5. Sven Montgomery

Sven Montgomery New Member

Your right Pirocco - the 'quality' of the coins was a concern. Also was I just going to get some kind of generic rounds...

I may have to just buy some to see what I get... would make a interesting forum post o_O

6. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

there is really no discount promotions at your end, outside of SS
    I get to buy for A$21.83 currently
    Austrian Silver Philharmonic - Various years - 1 oz

7. Soprano16

Soprano16 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think some of you have misinterpreted the listing

That's just Gold Stackers selling back coins they've bought from customers so they're essentially just buy backs hence the reduced cost compared to everything else they sell

They are not brand new so there might be marks, spots etc and the reason they're random is because they simply are. They don't pick and choose or keep the better ones etc, they buy these from customers below spot and sell them back at these prices which are cheaper compared to new coins of the same make hence the price

If you want perfect maples, ASE etc then spend more and buy brand new

8. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Unencapsulated coins will only ever resell for spot or less. Better to pay and get perth mint coins...random date or current. Much less likely to be damaged or toned so at least have a chance of having some resale premium.

Imo the best value 1oz currently at GS is the southern cross 1 oz cast bars. More chance to return a premium over spot than loose ase, phils, maple, croc coins and cheaper to buy.

9. Eureka Moments

Their listing says they are "legal tender coins".

The photo depicting the utterly crass and careless treatment of a group of ase coins is a "stock image" and not an actual depiction of their own products and how they may store and treat them prior to selling.

10. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

just learned a new word-unencapsulated-if it is :D

11. Eureka Moments

How about capsuleless?

12. dragafem

dragafem Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

that sounds weird :D

13. Eureka Moments

Everyone will be saying it soon when plastic capsules are swept up in the current "plastic is the root cause of all evil so ban it" craze.

Soon high end coins will be those dinged and toned that provide evidence of their capsuleless heritage and free-range air enriched lives. Only ever cleaned with raw water and a flushable hemp-fibre cloth. :D

serial and Sven Montgomery like this.
  14. Pirocco

I would assume that "stock images" are only used for new products, state = state like they come from mints.
    How this dealer stores/treats them, just comes on top of how the previous owners stores/treats them.
    The problem that I see is that you don't see what you buy. Not which coins and not their state. What I named "carte blanche". When it turns out to be a milkspot/scratches/lowest new-premium bunch coins, you have not any claim basis, since they literally state "our choice".

15. lowtech

lowtech Active Member

If you are chasing pretty pictures on a soft metal that can hold a nice shine, go and find some nice aluminium coins. If you want to double your money, hoard lego sets that hit the shelf and get 'retired' after three months. If you want to keep the value of your weeks work to be equal to the same amount of milk you can buy in twenty years, then buy scratched up, 'second-hand' (??) silver as cheap as you can get it.

Groges likes this.
  16. Pirocco

2018 You give less fiat for the ugly coins.
    2038 You receive less fiat for the ugly coins.
    Replace "fiat" with "production" or "service", and it will still be valid.