Buying from the USA?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by SilAuOz, Oct 16, 2018.

1. GF

GF Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yep...no need to declare. If buying junk silver even better. 400 quarters is only 100 bucks (obviously more in silver) so your limited by weight not dollars

SilAuOz likes this.
  2. SilAuOz

SilAuOz Member

Thanks for the tip.

3. SilAuOz

SilAuOz Member

Thanks champ

4. Alloy

Alloy Active Member

APMEX is significantly overpriced compared to other major American dealers. The best prices are almost always at Silver.com, BGASC, SD Bullion, Gainesville Coins, and sometimes JM Bullion or Provident. Only buy from APMEX if they have a sale that beats other dealers' prices. (Well, we should just broaden that to say buy from the cheapest reliable source – any of the major dealers, whichever is cheapest. Too many people overpay for bullion by buying from APMEX and other uncompetitive dealers.)

trueblue, alor and jultorsk like this.
  5. SilAuOz

SilAuOz Member

Thanks for the tip Alloy !!

6. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

APMEX serves an international market as they ship internationally. Silver.com, JM bullion have great prices but only ship to USA addresses.

SilAuOz and SlyGuy like this.
  7. SlyGuy

SlyGuy Active Member

Apmex "uncompetitive"? Lmao. Your financial bias is showing clearly, man (PS, you forgot to put your affiliate marketing hyperlinks to the bullion sites in your post above, as you do in most of your other posts).

You are trying to make people mistake your sales pitch for quality info and education. That's sad (both on your self-interested part... and for anyone who's that gullible).

Apmex is in line with other major US bullion retailers on most things and has been for years... nearly unbeatable overall selection, free USA shipping, they ship worldwide, customer service is quick an easy, and they have good buyback prices for people who need to sell their stack. They also have a lot of neat coin display cases and other products that are exclusives. Sometimes Bullion Exchanges, JM, SD, or others beat Apmex by a little... other times, Apmex beats them. It's dynamic and usually pays to price check them all for any substantial purchase... but to say Apmex isn't competitive is lunacy. All of the major sites are usually within 5% of one another on bullion and new stuff... and not much further apart even on older "rare" numi stuff. And that is my opinion of them based on many orders... not any personal bias. I like Apmex and many other sites also (namely the ones I just mentioned, but I always price compare each time).

Just because they aren't one of the sites that pays you a few dimes here and there to spam and promote them doesn't make Apmex any less of a AAAAA+++ bullion site. They have been around for 20 years and built a good rep while many other bullion sites have come and gone. That's not done by having high prices or bad customer service or losing or delaying orders. Apmex is as solid as they come.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    SilAuOz likes this.
  8. Alloy

Alloy Active Member

APMEX costs significantly more than competitive dealers like Silver.com and SD Bullion (and I also just discovered BOLD Precious Metals – they're good too). That's just the reality. There's no point making stuff up and dancing around the issue if you can't back it up with actual price comparisons. I think I already posted my spreadsheet – APMEX is not in the top tier as far as prices go.

People overpay for metal, and that's just dumb. You need to be disciplined about finding the lowest price, or you're eating into your margins.

SilAuOz likes this.
  9. Alloy

Alloy Active Member

I just looked up the international shipping situation. SD Bullion ships internationally. Contrary to what SlyGuy said, they have much better prices than APMEX. There's often a dollar's difference for 1 oz. coins. That's a lot when silver is in the $15 ballpark.

https://sdbullion.com/sd-bullion-shipping-policies

I say again, don't overpay for metal, and ignore people who tell you to. I've seen too many elderly folks get screwed, and it's just unnecessary.

SilAuOz likes this.
  10. Silverling

Silverling Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I just did a pricing of 100 Silver Eagles @ SD, special random dates that they choose, delivered to my door. After currency conversion it works out to $26 per coin and who knows what other taxes might be added. I think, for Australians anyway, we are better off buying our coins here.

11. ZaidaBoBaida

ZaidaBoBaida Member

I'm not sure what GST is - is it like VAT? Would it be easier to get an American friend to buy and ship the coins to you - though the cost of shipping would add quite a premium.

12. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

American friends have not been active, so we need to make more friends to help do the shipping
    there are just things that can be have over there
    not just the common stuff, online dealers have it cheaper in terms of shipping scale etc

13. Alloy

Alloy Active Member

Yeah, I would assume so. That's some major distance in terms of shipping. I might do a price comparison of Oceania dealers at some point. Today I'm publishing my article on North American dealers.

14. DavidRich

DavidRich Member

check prices and shipping costs before buying. I always use https://trustedpmdealers.com/ for this, moreover there are sometimes super advantageous deals, like silver at spot at with very low premium

15. Alloy

Alloy Active Member

Yeah, it's a VAT. Australia, New Zealand, and Singapore have a Goods and Services Tax (GST) instead of VAT, but it's just a naming choice.

Precious metals are exempt from GST in all three of those countries, but they have different definitions of exempt precious metals. Singapore is the most restrictive, requiring that bullion be made by a refiner on the LBMA Good Delivery list or a government mint, and gold must be 99.9% pure, which excludes the most popular gold coin in the world – the American Gold Eagle (it also excludes the Krugerrand – they're both made of crown gold, a 91.7% alloy that is much harder and scratch resistant than pure gold).

More on the Australian GST here.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  16. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

He's been trying to run the white house....haven't been running smoothly since he took over the oval office...

17. jultorsk

jultorsk Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You do realise it's not the best idea to potentially insult the persons you are soliciting help from... He is their President after all, and has many supporters in the stacker circles. Just curious if you are able to comprehend this concept at all.

18. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

shinny metals would keep the eyes away from whatever being typed here...it is blinding shinny reflection
    the concept is invisible supporter or not

19. ZaidaBoBaida

ZaidaBoBaida Member

Apmex also seems to have certain coins exclusively at least for a period of time - most recently the new Australian dolphins and the British 2 dragon. I looked for both of them on other sites and didn't find them. I'm hazarding a guess that if the new Tower of London series becomes available from a source other than the Royal Mint that Apmex will have it first and maybe exclusively. Also, I have to say - every time I've ordered from Apmex I've gotten some little bit of swag with my order - a pen, a key chain - stuff like that. I've never gotten that from anywhere else I've ordered from. I've also never had a problem with Apmex, but I did have a problem with JMBullion. They kept pushing back the ship date for my 2019 gold panda - when I had paid for 2 day shipping. They weren't even going to take the charge for the 2 day shipping off until I called and raised hell about it, and really they should have offered me something in compensation for having to wait so long.