Buying from the USA

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by Southerner, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Southerner

Southerner Active Member Silver Stacker

I have read a number of posts from stackers bemoaning the fact that they would like to buy items from the USA, but dealers there will not deliver to Australia.

One of my kids alerted me to the site below today.

www.priceusa.com.au

Sure its going to cost you some cash, but it makes what was not possible, now possible.
    I have not used it, but the kids have been buying cheap electronic gear from America using this site.

( I have no involvement with the company.)

2. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Yeah I used a forwarding service (shipito) which is similar to priceusa when I bought my laptop from Amazon :D

Pretty awesome but most of them will not deal with bullion and even if they do, they won't forge parcel value so you might get hit with "GST" over $1000.

So you either buy $1000 or less which makes it cost prohibitive or get slagged with "GST". Bleh.

3. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

Simple solution. Have a friend in the States receive and forward the parcels for you. Will be cheaper, especially if they receive and combine numerous items into one shipment.

4. comeaux

comeaux New Member Silver Stacker

You have a valid point in theory but maybe not so "simple"

1. Having a "friend" in the US may not be so easy from the other side of the world, 9,000 miles away.

2. Even if said "friend" is found and available, it would have to be a very reliable friend when entrusting him with possibly thousands of dollars in numismatics.

As I stated it is possible but is it feasible?

It may actually be more complex than what is originally suggested.

5. 940palmtx

940palmtx New Member

I've already shipped some merchandise to a 'friend' here on SS. Of course it was less than $200 and I suggested we use PayPal in case I wasn't honest, he could get a refund. Things worked out great. I shipped using USPS Priority and he got it in about two weeks.

6. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

It's really not complex at all. I do this for a few SS members regularly.

If you don't have a friend, family member, or trusted trading partner in the States already, then yes it may not be feasible.

But, if you do, shipping costs can easily be reimbursed through PayPal or with some of the purchased merchandise depending on the expense.

Would I advise someone to put their trust in just anyone, no.

7. Chillidog

Chillidog New Member Silver Stacker

Heyimderrick has done this for me a few times, value in the $1000s, I have never met him or even spoken to him live, it does require trust, but in Derrick I have lots of it.
    Thanks Derrick

8. comeaux

comeaux New Member Silver Stacker

I can appreciate the reasoning

I have also shipped to Australian members on this forum and yes it can be done.

It is a noble deed to assist any of the members in Australia as I have done so and will again.

The point I'm trying to make is there are over 2,000 members on this site, it would be a herculean task and huge responsibility for derrick to become the "friend" who handles all shipping to and from as well as money management and responsible for everything. Especially when items start exceeding $1,000 to $5,000 or more which is easily done with gold coins.

A few low value orders is simple, get up to 10 or 20 then this could get very cumbersome good on you for considering bro and I support if you do it but trust me it would be far from "simple".

Like I said man it is a noble cause and tremendously generous gesture :)