Buying against the grain

Discussion in 'Gold' started by 2ds, Apr 15, 2011.

1. 2ds

2ds New Member

You guys are currently all into silver, it's currently getting attention in the media, i'm starting to buy gold.

Thoughts?

2. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

once today tonight airs it i'll throw it in the bin :p

3. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

I thought that Gold was just as in the spotlight if not more than Silver.

With India purchasing a lot of Gold and China purchasing Gold to offset inflation it doesn't exactly look like Gold is being ignored at the moment by the media.

4. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with some gold 2ds .gold is gold if you know what i mean silver will tank before gold

5. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The gains in gold have been less than silver recently and the buy in is higher.

I have gold but it is quicker to accumulate silver and the value seems to be going up faster.

I don't think you can lose with either unless the Dollar picks itself out of the gutter and starts acting like a grown up.

6. 2ds

2ds New Member

Not saying that either is a bad buy, but silver is currently going through the roof vs gold which has been static for 6 months.

My thinking is that silver will correct before gold does and it may just pull gold up with it because of the GSR.

I'm not financial expert but I'm waiting for a minor correction and a lull (based on past patterns I have seen)

Either that or the price should have gone up alot more purely based on demand by now...

7. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'm all in Gold. I have a few numismatic silver coins that I'm fond of but whilst I honestly believe that Silver has more potential than Gold, Gold still will be a winner. Silver may beat gold but at the end of the day Gold is what Central Banks hold. Gold is what athletes compete for. Gold is the oldest form of money known to man. Gold is what drove men to explore the world. Gold has been the object of wars. Gold is (IMHO) what people will demand in a currency crisis. Everyone will want GOLD. You can buy yourself an ounce of GOLD for a mere AUD $1500 from Steve right this very minute. That is, IMHO, still a steal.

Silver, for sure. We all know the case for Silver. Many huge plusses in it's favour. But at the end of the day GOLD doesn't need any case to be made for it.

8. Goldrush

Goldrush Member

^ What this guy said.

Gold is also my favorite metal.

9. 2ds

2ds New Member

It's not so much that as buying against the current investment trend.

10. Blockhead

Blockhead Active Member

i bought gold today, silver yesterday.

11. hazy

hazy Active Member

silver today, gold tomorrow, house next week

12. silverfunk

silverfunk Active Member

what nugget said, silvers my bitch but golds my lover.

13. pete

pete New Member

Hey thats good silverfunk..., that could be one way for another stacker to greet another--- 1st one to say- SILVERS MY BITCH... the reply must be... BUT GOLDS MY LOVER .... potential SS motto ?

14. silverfunk

silverfunk Active Member

pete it could work, but it could also upset the silver bulls hehe.

anyways gold is on sale so its a buy.

15. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

I think gold is currently undervalued. The global economic situation makes me think gold price suppression is mammoth compared to silver manipulation, and frankly that much of the world is in denial.

Different parts of my stack are for different purposes - I held about 50/50 gold/silver by value, but silver has outperformed gold recently so that ratio is skewed. If I was a new investor entering the PM market today I would be nervous about buying silver first as a long-term hold. Unless you believe there's a repeat of 1980 in the works (and there could well be) the relative value of silver could crash quickly against gold - even if it continues to grow in fiat terms.

So my gold stack is my "long" stack - and silver is split roughly half into "long" and "speculate". The speculative part of my silver stack is peering anxiously at the GSR going "is it time? is it time?".

16. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

I can't remember where I heard it, maybe Peter Schiff's show ... someone said that the only 'commodity' that has not gone up markedly against the USD is gold. Silver, oil, wheat, soy beans, corn, cotton et.al. have all been on a tear.

Maybe it's because gold isn't really a 'commodity' in the first place?

17. 2ds

2ds New Member

Yeah that first bit is along the lines of my current feeling, watching the GSR drop from 80 - 35 and not seeing the gold price move at all doesn't make sense to me, I see gold and silver as being loosely linked and this makes me scratch my head as they should follow each other at least a little bit. The GSR may be headed to 15:1 but I dont' see that happening in only a years time.

My feeling is that either gold has to rise or silver has to drop... I'm really curious about other people think of this because i'm relatively new to this whole thing...

18. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Gold is suppressed more than silver. Gold is a central bank type suppression. Silver is just a trading house suppression.

So GP - what are your fors and againsts for 'Now - Not Now'?

19. Guest

Guest Guest

We in the west have the luxury of thinking of gold and silver as an investment vehicle.However from India to China to Africa it acts as a day to day currency and store of wealth.In some parts of the world if you don't have gold you don't eat!
    We have become to indoctrinated In accepting that our ex financial experts(If any body in my field called themselves an expert after 50 years in the job they would be laughed out of the industry-only in the financial field!) have created a perfect monetary system.
    I personally think you can throw the graphs and charts out the window for any major corrections in either gold or silver(and when people refer to the old $50 hunt brother's price fix well that was a very small group) google search the major funds that are getting into silver and gold as well as all the private investors and you have a major shift in thinking ie that physical silver and gold are considered not only stores of wealth but appreciating assets.
    Remember the State of Utah's no confidence vote in Fiat
    and a move towards AU/AG backed $$
    When silver goes up in value disregarding all the small dips along the way,gold won't be far behind.
    Gold and silver may decouple eventually from the USD.
    Gold and silver will never decouple from each other,so I really don't think it matters which one you buy in the long term.

REDBACK

20. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Basically the continued downwards trend in the GSR. Until there's a solid reversal, I'm not swapping. I swapped some silver at 50 (mostly acquired at 70), but I was happy to get into some gold at the time.