Buying a detector, what should I start with?

Discussion in 'Prospecting & Detecting' started by Bank Manager, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Bank Manager

Bank Manager Member Silver Stacker

Hi stackers,

I have been toying with the idea of buying a detector to have some fun with on the weekends. Looking for nuggets, coins on beaches etc

Have never really done detecting before, any suggestions on what setup I need are most welcome.

Cheers BM

2. Sa_bogan

Sa_bogan Active Member Silver Stacker

hey mate,
    normally i would ask the question of what type of detecting will you be doing, as saying you want to find gold nuggets, coin and stuff on the beach pretty much impossible to do with only one detector.
    for example if you are looking to find gold nuggets in the bush i would recommend a Pulse Induction detector as the technology is suited to the soil being very mineralised
    For beach detecting you could use a pulse induction machine no worries but it doesn't have the ability to discriminate out "crap targets" such as iron etc - in this instance i would recommend something like the minelab sovereign or BBS/FBS tech detectors as they will handle the normal grounds for coins and the beaches as well- i use the CTX 3030 and IMO its the shiz on the beach
    However i wouldn't use that type of detector looking for gold as it doesn't have the depth a PI would
    My advise would be to join a detecting forum - also if you are not sure weather its something you will continue to do i would by medium priced detector as if you cheapen out you will be disappointed and turned off the hobby

I hope this helps you some what

3. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Great post SA. I own a pulse induction that is great for finding nuggets in mineralised ground but completely useless for parks or beaches due to having poor discrimination.

I got my first coin and relic machine last year. After a lot of reading and research I bought a Minelab 3030. A novice can use one straight out of the box and find coins and relics...presets are easy to use which means you can start finding things fairly quickly and then learn as you go around about the target readouts and noises it makes and what they are telling you. Ive only done parks and sporting grounds so far but I know it will work on beaches when I decide to visit.

3030 has a gps which I dont use, this helps bump its price to $2500. Not cheap but it does what it says on the box.

4. Bank Manager

Bank Manager Member Silver Stacker

Awesome, thanks bogan and eureka,
    I figured I would have to buy a couple of different detectors, as the research I've done to date indicated as much, might start with the 3030 and give it a run on the beach before going bush.
    What price point am I looking at? as I don't want to buy a shitter first up.
    2k ish?

Cheers BM

5. SilverTounge15

SilverTounge15 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Watch some youtube reveiws and buy a mid range one i would suggest that way if you dont do much with it your not losing 1500-2000 when trying to resell

6. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

Garret ace250:)
    That was my first toy and i still have and use it sometimes.
    Great entry level machine for parks and beaches.
    It works fine in water but i suspect ot would be pretty crap for your nugget hunts.(may be)
    Another benefit is you are not throwing a lot of money at this new hobby.
    I got hooked straight away because my first find was a UK silver Florin.
    This machine will do plenty for you and you will soon know if this is the hobby for you without the huge cash outlay.

7. Ghost Story

Ghost Story Active Member

one of my best detectors cost 220 bucks you don't need to spend a lot of money what you need to spend is a lot of time learning what where how and why.

BenKenobi likes this.
  8. argyle

argyle New Member

How did you go deciding on a detector BM?

As you want hit the goldfields, parks, and beaches, the Minelab 705 is easily the best unit on the market today. Multipurpose!

I've owned every Minelab ever made barr two, (and most models from all brands in the last 30 years)and the XTerra range is easily the best pound for pound. The only place a Full Band Spectrum unit, ETrac/CTX unit will beat an XTerra for discrimination or depth, is on wet beach sand.

$850 retail, $680 when on sale at Anaconda every couple of months.

9. Sa_bogan

Sa_bogan Active Member Silver Stacker

I would recommend to you that you speak to the detecting shops around the area you plan on "going bush"
    I'm brand specific and use minlab and so does my father, main reason for me is there HQ is here in Adelaide If I need something fixed under warranty and even out of warranty- they are also made for Australian conditions like our soil. When I comes to price as you said the more money you can spend the better the machine, however if your main area of use is in the bush then forget one that is an all rounder as you will sacrifice power for the ability to excel in 1 area (such as nugget hunting)

I would lean towards sdc 2300 - gpx series above the 3000 model. I would recommend checking out some prospecting forums and see what they are using and what they have found. I hope this helps

10. brexitbaby

brexitbaby New Member

Source:
    Most of us have dreamed about "finding free gold" but for most people that is all that it will become a dream,spending a lot of money finding nails and bullets.

But you will get plenty of exercise digging lots of holes especially until you can get some minimum experience with your machine on the ground.

You could consider joining another forum like - Prospecting Australia - pretty good advice,suggestions and stuff to read.

But as they say - research - research - and more research.

Good luck :)

P.S. I have been fossicking not gold detecting for over 2 years now going 3-4 times per week at the beach and in the local parks,I am a coin shooter & jewellery hunter.I have two machine plus all of the other gear that you need which I own paying for it from my finds.

Fossicking is great exercise at the beach or in the park with great company :D

11. brexitbaby

brexitbaby New Member

About to start living the dream - well done and good luck :)

Remember that I helped you when you fall over that big nugget :p

12. Kinginthecountinghouse

Kinginthecountinghouse Member

Bulk coins 15 best of luck
    Just remember low and slow
    And dig every target! A large nugget sounds like a rubbish target.
    King

13. beests

beests New Member

You should start metal detecting with a metal detector for beginners.
    There is no need for u to buy a professional and expensive one.
    Would u like to have a look at early learning metal detector?

14. Balance8

Balance8 Member

If looking for coins get a cheap Tesoro first up or a second hand minelab. Don't buy new, too expensive. Where are you detecting? Don't get a Garrett they're complete rubbish.

BenKenobi likes this.
  15. BenKenobi

BenKenobi Well-Known Member

How serious are you about detecting as a hobby?? There's 2 directions for nuggets, just buy a good condition Sd pulse induction, they come up pretty cheap around the place, do a lot of research and have an extensive chat with Woody on making a simple frequency change circuit, use an old mono coil with around 2.2-3mhz frequency. Its not flashy but you simply don't need it, you need detector time with a minimum outlay but on practical and functional equipment that auits your experience, the less buttons and settings and shit the better off you will be. Jeez mate the stories I could tell you about the good ol days with my SD. Even up until we had a GPX4500 our SD's consistently found the biggest gold and that's a fact. I have worked the WA goldfields for 20 years, this works, many will dispute it and there are plenty of options, this is probably the cheapest of them. When you are ready you can pass it on to the kids or wife if you have cause to have them with you in the bush. The second direction for nuggets is simply this, spend as little as you can on the newest and best condition machine you can find and without being stupid a GPX5000 with the right set up and an experienced operator will do everything you will ever need it to. Don't fall victim to magazines and BS sales pitch. Listen to those who know, we STILL use the SD PI's, we STILL find more gold with our SD's in weight than with our GPX's. We work mega hot ground in 48 degree heat and pissing rain, find a mentor that wont bullshit you. Be WARY of even those you think are honest, loose lips sink ships and your patch will be gone before you know it and then the strike of country and cross-faults will be covered by those who know their shit before you can blink. You need to study the ground in your proposed area and look at the places where Gold was found by the old timers, NOTE the geology and rock type associations in detail where alluvial was recovered, gold is where gold has been found before. 3/4 of prospecting electronically is knowing the geology and reading signs in the country rock and intrusions, its a long road ahead young fella, but you will find your patch, it takes time and in the meantime it costs money but when you least expect it a buttery yellow thing will appear in the red dirt in your hand just before sundown and you will have achieved the first of many goals. Good luck on the Journey, stay safe and between the good times just enjoy where you are, the bush, the flies the spiders, centipedes and snakes. There's not a finer place to be, my utopia.

Balance8 likes this.