Buying a 2nd Hand Metal Detector

Discussion in 'Prospecting & Detecting' started by Rubbing Elbows, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Rubbing Elbows

Rubbing Elbows Active Member

I'm looking into buying a 2nd hand metal detector that can find me some gold?

Can anyone here give any advice into which model would be most suitable & what price range I would be expected to pay for an affordable detector that can detect gold?

Me & a mate do a bit of hiking through the National & Conservation parks around the Adelaide Hills + the surrounding forests so not sure if you need to buy for a certain soil types etc. We thought it might be a good idea to hunt for a nugget or 2 whilst were out hiking.

2. Silver Soul

Silver Soul Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You got a budget, for this venture?

3. Rubbing Elbows

Not sure how much I need to spend to get out & have some fun with a chance of finding something.

4. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

For serious detecting (i.e. with a hope of finding something) look to the Minelab SD2100/2200, or something like a GP3000 - even second hand these will still set you back $1500/$2500, but honestly you need to spend good money on good technology to have a hope of finding something. Nothing more depressing than being out the back of Kalgoorlie somewhere that had trees growing out of the middle of the track to get to, thinking you might finally be onto some virgin soil, and seeing a week old detector hole from another prospector.

Almost every square inch of readily accessible goldfield has had several generations of detectors waved over it, so stick to the current generation technology (pulse induction). Better off buying a second hand unit - way cheaper than laying out several oz for a new one, and they hold their value. Lots of mods can be done to pimp them up to later standards, never underestimate what having spare batteries means, and be prepared to treat it as a hobby that costs money, not makes money.

Also do a training course - education on using this tech as well as just getting helping hints from the pros is invaluable and will save you days of wasted effort.

And always always always fill your holes!

5. Rubbing Elbows

We're going to book in & do this course http://minersdensa.com.au/xcart-shipping/TrainingCourse.html & it looks like they hire the equipment to kick on after the course has finished.

I'll fill in the holes & hopefully fill up my pockets :D

6. Silver Soul

Mate,
    A half decent metal detector will hit ya wallet for $2K Plus
    look@ say a MINELAB SD2200D to start with, each series after that just add $1k. Adjusted to ya budget.

My Aqua pulse head is $3500. With 3 coils add $1500......Expensive gear doesn't ensure success, Like anything! you need to research the subject...Learn where gold sits in gullies, lay of the land is the art of finding gold. Ya can have the best equipment known to man for findin the yella stuff,& still find sweet F all.

7. Rubbing Elbows

Where's the best place to look for one of these 2nd hand detector's as I'm no expert. Not a big fan of ebay, would rather buy from a dealer that deals in 2nd hand units. Know of any?

8. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Coiltek in Vic, must be somewhere similar in SA.

9. Silver Soul

The link ya provided! http://minersdensa.com.au/xcart-shipping/TrainingCourse.html

Generally they have second hand equipment for sale all the time, so many people rush out & buy this stuff...Used once then sold @ half their value, including all the mods if ya lucky, with a few free coils chucked in .........research

10. Butch

Butch Active Member Silver Stacker

You can have all the best gear in the world but if your not on gold bearing ground you wont find any.I discovered long ago that need to learn some geo knowledge. If you cant read the ground you wont find gold unless your real jammy.

11. purgatori

purgatori New Member

i got a new gold snoop pro for $250 ive been finding stuff all over the place found my first pre decimal coin yesterday a 1952 half penny , a nice silver ring a few days ago and about $10.57 in coins just about to get my garret pro pointer in the next few days and a few other extras the people ive been talking to say you dont need to spend thousands of dollars on detectors you can get a very good set up for about $500 to $900

12. fiatphoney

fiatphoney New Member

I have got two sd2200d , both bought second hand - one from bendigo gold $1850 (maybe a bit more with sound enhancer) and one from a miners den $2000.
    Both since modded @$550 each extra. The one from bendigo also had a DDcoil mod switch that allows a DD to be used as a monocoil if the ground settles down for extra depth.
    There is also a 'gold button' mod ready to go, (I negotiated the mod as I was getting two done at once) I just haven't made the external plug in button switch yet, it's to ground balance quickly and more easily - hence more frequently.
    So there are heaps of mods you can do. And that's the sort of money you are looking at.
    Regulating your power supply using a small lightweight 12v battery is a good way to go as well.
    I believe you don't want to go above 7.8v from memory.
    Unfortunately they've only had about four hours use in two years.

13. Rubbing Elbows

All really good information so far...thanks guys. After reading some of the posts I think a little more research is needed before making a decision. I'm definitely going to do that introductory course from the 'minersden' & also talk to them about 2nd hand options as well. I remember when I was researching when before buying a camera & also got so many different views & opinions & it seems like this is going to be a similar experience.

Thanks again for all the info :)

14. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

Hey mate..Any updates on how your prospecting has been going? I'v made a new years resolution.. and it's to spend more time outside. Hiking, camping, trekking etc etc. I'm hopefully going to get my arse into gear and do the 6 foot track in syd/blu mtns region this year. The other thing was to get me a detector! Nothing better than the great outdoors..other than giving yourself the chance to nab a find..be it a tin can or a 2 gram nugget!

I bought the nugget snoop pro (from Jack Lange's company). Heaps of people bagging it, but it's a great entry point to get familiar with the hobby, techniques and its REALLY lightweight so good for covering a lot more ground that's typically highly mineralised. If I find a sweet patch, lock it into the GPS and return another day with an expensive detector to find some bigger stuff, much deeper.

Anyway.. I'm awaiting delivery for it.. then I start planning my adventure.. one day at a time!

Peace

15. Butch

Butch Active Member Silver Stacker

Minelab are based in Adelaide.

16. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

Yeah I would go for a minelab if you can afford it , I like whites detectors as well. It also depends on if you are just looking for gold nuggets or if you might want to find relics and coins. The gold only detectors are the best for gold but generally too sensitive if there is other trash around whites makes a good all around one the mxt , that has a gold nugget setting but it is not as good as something like a high end minelab gold detector,. The minelab is also nice because it generally goes a little deeper which is good for areas that have been detected before. I would ask yourseldf also how serious you are with it, but personally I would stay away from bounty hunter and the cheap junk models you might as well just buy some gold or silver. also just make sure you have fun with it and dont get frustrated. There is alot of good advise on this forum nice to see other people interested in this. Also like GP said always fill in your holes and dont leave trash ect. , that kind of thing really gives the hobby a bad rap.

17. PMcat

PMcat New Member

Another option is to get a waterproof detector and hit your local beaches, plenty of gold jewelry could be found and you stay nice and cool on a hot summer day, plus the equipment will cost much less. ($600-1200 new)

Sift thu this site to get an idea before you commit to a certain model http://metaldetectorreviews.net/

18. Guest

Guest Guest

I do the park scene for coins, but you get the occasional piece of jewelry.

Beaches are generally much better for gold and jewelry, but not as much for coins (especially older coins).

If you're chasing gold specifically, you might be disappointed. Hard to break even on your outlay, even if you know what you're doing.

It's illegal to detect in national parks btw. Big fines if you get caught.

Also check the laws regarding licensing in your state. In NSW you don't need a licence to fossick, in VIC you do.

Not sure about SA.

I've only been detecting for about 4-5 months so far, but I've already found about 4 times my initial outlay in jewelry and coinage.

I get a lot of copper and a little silver, as well as a fair amount of modern coinage (already nearly $500 in $1 and $2 coins alone).

Good exercise, fresh air and you get paid. It's a hobby that's a lot like fishing and you learn history as well.

I enjoy it.

A coin/relic detector will set you back only a few hundred. A top of the line model (Minelabs Etrac) is about $1750.

Much cheaper than a top model gold detector (Minelabs) which is about $6500.

Note there IS a difference between a detector used to hunt only GOLD and those used to hunt coins and relics.

I work only with the coin/relic variety

If you want to go both gold and relics/coins you can go for a cheaper detector with different coil options. (ie You can swap the bottom coil on your detector depending what sort of detecting you want to do.)

The Minelabs Xterra 705 is around $800-$1000 brand new and will do both very comfortably. You can get coils that interchange on the unit to do both the park/beach scene and gold.

Only machines I'd consider above the 705 that are the Sov GT & the Etrac (Both Minelabs), but it's all a question of how much you wish to shell out and the style of detector you like to use.

But again, these are detectors that do both with modification, they are not specific gold detectors which are generally a fair amount more for the good models.

If you don't want a Minelabs, the Garret line is good as well (US brand).

I personally own a cheapy minelabs detector as I didn't want to spend much to get my feet wet in the hobby.

It was the flagship coin/relic hunting machine in the series 6 years ago (Minelabs Xterra 30) and I got it at a bargain price from an Aussie through a detecting forum I'm a member of.

I'll be due for an upgrade this year some time, but even this 'relic' 2nd hand job has done amazingly well for what I paid.

Just don't be one of those idiots that digs holes everywhere and leaves them open. Being able to dig an inconspicuous plug is an important skill to learn. You will also need a pinpointer, digging tool and satchel to carry your rubbish away.

Doing a little good research before you get out and swing will save you a lot of grief. I've had a great time learning and the rewards have been great.

I keep all the gold/silver/copper I dig and add them to my stack.

All the moderns I collect up and periodically I'll cash them all in to buy more silver/gold.

It's not much, but for someone like me on low disposable income every ounce counts and you'd be surprised at how many $1 and $2 coins get dropped every year in suburban parks.

I think I've found about 20 silver coins in the last 4 months as well - they go straight in the stack.

Don't get me wrong, you're very unlikely to get rich doing this. I just do it for the fun and exercise, but getting a little extra in the piggy bank is always welcome too

(edited for additional info and clarity)

19. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

I have had my hands on just about every minelab detector and the one that stands out to me if you're on a budget is the 2200v2, if you want gold that machine was way ahead of it's time.

You probably still have to pay close to $2000 for one but when it's nearest competition costs double that it's a steal. Only problem is finding someone that is willing to sell you one, pretty rare, most pros know how good it is.
    You will find gold with one of these, no doubt about it.

20. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I own a Minelab GPX 4500. Purchased secondhand for $4000. I used to own an SD2200d. It found nice nuggets at good depth but not very many of them. I have found 5 times more gold with the later model, often going over the same ground I did with the older model.

It finds a lot of the tiny nuggets that are still out there. Im talking down to 0.05 grams. I found 4 alluvial nuggets and 4 specimens this afternoon (I live in the Golden Triangle of Victoria). Smallest piece was 0.07 grams, the biggest 0.48 grams. A gold snoop and similar detectors would not have found any of them.

GoldPelican's earlier post summed up the earlier Minelabs but not the GPX models which are much better at dealing with mineralisation and much better at finding small nuggets, which in many areas is all thats mainly left.

There are a lot of things to consider about what type of detector will suit you. How often will you get to use it? Do you live in an area that has goldfields nearby or are you going to travel and camp somewhere? You may be better off hiring a later model machine instead of buying.

I bought my detector through the Trading Post. Ebay can be ok too. Buying a Minelab from a dealer will cost you several hundred dollars more than buying privately. You can also get extra coils or picks, maps and the like which ads value to the deal. You can also onsell extra coils and gear that isnt suitable and reduce your outlay. Wherever you buy from ask lots of questions. If you live within an hour or so ask for a F2F and go and see before you buy. Postage will cost you about $50, may as well spend it on petrol and go have a look if you can.

Minelab's Aust. headquarters are in Adelaide SA and they do all servicing of their detectors. You can send the control box to them and they will service it for you, costs around $100 plus parts and postage. Some later models can still be under warranty and they will service for free. However they will not service any machine that has been modified.