Budget 2015 - 2016 is coming

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by aleks, May 11, 2015.

1. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The greed is pulling an extra $1750 a week out of the taxpayer's largesse to add to the giant pile of material advantage they already have. How many dollars do you actually need?

It amazes me that the world has starvation and obesity as major issues depending on which land mass you're lucky enough to be born on.

It also amazes me that millionaire politicians keep their hands out of their pockets and keep the free money tap on full on every occasion.

2. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There's no extra cost to the taxpayer as he has to rent something and he obtains a fixed travel allowance to do so. Attacking him because he is a "millionaire politician" is envy and is irrelevant to whether or not his travel allowance is any different to any other politician. Why pick on Joe to the exclusion of lots of other pollies? Kevin Rudd was even richer.

3. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If the opportunity cost of renting the house to someone else was equal or close to $250 per night, why would Joe risk public perception of being corrupt.

Staying in a hotel would be the politically safe move. So what is the advantage of staying in a house owned at arms-length? It's simple, he profits. Profits enough to risk the stigma of corruption.

4. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If you dig deep enough, many pollies gained their wealth via questionable circumstances. Look at Rudd's wife "Thrse Rein". She sold an employment agency that 'assisted disabled people getting into the workforce'. Her business' only means of profit was from government contributions.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jnpzKyt7W4[/youtube]

It's a big club. And you're not invited.

5. JulieW

You don't have to travel far into a room full of politicians to notice the smell of corruption. Either they've got their hand out, or they're giving unfair advantages to their mates, or their keeping quiet about their mates own corruption.

And it's not about the amount of money they have, it's about an attitude and behaviours. I've known a few politicians and a few super rich people. I asked one rich fellow why he kept making money after he hit 10 million and it was pretty much more than he needed or could spend given his lifestyle. His answer "it's about numbers, I just like the way it grows".

After a bottle of red at a dinner party I asked a disgraced politician I once met, (caught out in career ending strife) why he didn't pull his head in, and he answered, because everyone else was doing it and he was just 'unlucky'. By doing it, he meant rorting the system to the maximum plus some.

As above: it's a club and you're not invited.

6. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

In the meantime his increasing wealth is providing more employment opportunities and increasing the wealth of society.

7. bordsilver

Of course he thinks it's a better option. If nothing else he probably prefers a house where he can leave random personal belongings between trips unlike a hotel. Does it matter that the owner of the housing capital happens to be someone he knows? In the circumstances, I don't think so. It doesn't really make a rats arse of a difference if he rented from Bill Shorten's wife or even from me. It's not a rort (any more than any parliamentarian privilege). The Canberra market can (as it has done in the past) tank at the same time as he loses his seat and his wife will be left holding on to an investment property that is at risk of being vacant, obtaining v. low rent or having to sell at a loss just like any other investment property owner.

Edit: I can't believe that I'm defending a bloody pollie. This circumstance, however, - unlike many other Obeid-style dealings that many pollies do - is not fraud and is a stupid witch-hunt IMHO.

8. col0016

col0016 Active Member

So you support giving millionaires $250 a night to stay in properties they own but want to cut the $250 a week that pensioners get... Seems legit.

9. JulieW

How about this perspective:

So you run a business. Your wife buys an investment property with your father in law. You pay rent to stay there a few nights a week whilst you're running your business and claim it as an expense on your tax. She puts the rent towards another investment property in their names, negatively gear it and she buys, bigger, grander. You get your sales manager to rent this one on his trips. More rent, more negative gearing. Does the tax man smile at this arrangement?

It's a club and you're not in it.

10. bordsilver

Again, the fact that they're millionaires is beside the point. It is irrelevant. The fact that his wife owns the capital is also irrelevant in this circumstance as he'd be paid the travel allowance even if you owned it and bore the exact same risks and rewards. Travel allowance as part of a job is totally different to welfare. The only issue of relevance is whether the remuneration packages of the politicians (all of them, not just Joe) is fair and reasonable. Singly out Joe is nonsense in this instance.

11. bordsilver

$38-48,000/yr for a fully furnished rental property of a semi-decent standard isn't actually very abnormal. I've rented out my own modest Canberra house in the past for not too much less and my brother was paying far more than that for the 12-15 months while his house was being built. Depending on the location, you could easily be paying $1,800/wk for a place a few blocks from Parliament House. Presumably tge travel allowance is set based on the realities of appropriate hotel/rental prices within a reasonable distance.

12. col0016

col0016 Active Member

Don't get me wrong, I think we should cut all politicians' pay and benefits before cutting anything else.