Book Reviews

Discussion in 'Questions & Comments' started by Jislizard, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Is there anywhere on the forum where people can post book reviews on PM-related topics.

I have seen a few books mentioned but they tend to be spread over the forums.

There are plenty of books around so for beginners it is hard to cut through all the hype and get the books which are actually useful, rather than just the ones who shout the loudest.

Enough people here have either read them or would be interested in reading them that there could be a bit of discussion and a few reviews on each one.

Same could go for youtube channels or individual videos.

It would give people new to the hobby a chance to watch them with the pre knowledge of how much esteem they are held in by the stackerati.

2. bloomst

bloomst Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

General Precious Metals Discusion?

4. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

I think there was a PM-related book thread in the old GD forum.

5. bloomst

bloomst Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Anything on special/cheap from booktopia? Lol

6. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There is the Bookshop tab at the top of the page, that has some links to Amazon and they have tons of reviews.

General Precious Metals would not be bad but they might get lost if no one posted in the thread for a while but a sub forum might work if it kept all the threads on books together.

7. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Has anyone read Practicing The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle? Never been into the spiritual/meditation side of things but keep hearing good things about the book.

Currently reading Unprofessional by Jack Delosa. Nothing much to get excited about which is surprising considering his accomplishments. Happy to pass it on to anyone who wants to read it.

8. smk762

smk762 Active Member Silver Stacker

Without having read Tolle, I'd recommend it. Awareness had benefits, and only by understanding the "enslavement" of your mind can you reach the awareness to counter it. Meditation is not required, but can help clear the mind of the chaotic flood of stimulus, and reintroduce conscious control of the response if it is lacking. Identifying emotional triggers, and the resulting neuro-chemical influence on (re)actions allows some slack in your puppet strings. Most importantly, focusing consciousness on the present avoids the potential of depression based on the past or anxiety based on the future.

I just found this among my dad's books while cleaning up -
    [​IMG]
    Source: Bre-X: Gold Today, Gone Tomorrow

9. Stacked

Stacked Member Silver Stacker

House -

Eckhart Tolle is currently running a 5 day retreat at Clive Palmers Resort and by all accounts there are more than 400 attending this and shelling out - $1500 each(excluding accom & meals). No doubt Clive is sitting front row for some spiritual awareness

In the event you are not aware, Eckhart is heading your way in a couple of weeks, so if you like the book you can attend an evening seminar and hear him speak :)

10. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Cheers Stacked. Not at the stage where I'd hand over $1,500 yet. Tried listening to the audiobook yesterday while sunbaking but kept dozing off so gave up :lol: His voice is almost hypnotizing. Have you been to a seminar before?

And thanks SMK, better way of looking at it than my closed minded "it's all hokum BS". Will persevere with his teachings and see what comes of it.

11. Stacked

Stacked Member Silver Stacker

Hi House - I was given the book and it was highly recommended, but I haven't read it yet, as I feel I need time off and lying on the beach to do so :)

And no I haven't been to any seminars yet as I want to read the book first, but it's on my list when he next visits OZ.

The seminar in Sydney is a one night time event on the 24th of November and tickets start at $85.00. He's also heading to Melbourne prior to.