Bonds in $916 Billion Wipeout Spark Fear of Worst Run Since 1976

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by SilverDJ, Oct 9, 2018.

1. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...on-wipeout-spark-fear-of-worst-run-since-1976

2. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Rates are considered low until long term average is reached in the US. Bloomberg had nothing to write about that day.

Go back 20 years, 50 years, 100 years, 200 years and 1000 years, all would have been happy with 2%

House likes this.
  3. SlyGuy

SlyGuy Active Member

I don't think it's just the rates right now... it's overall returns that have been bad this year for bond owners.

When you combo low rates on 10 year treasury with rising Federal Reserve interest rates, that makes for the perfect storm that causes bad bond returns in both principal and the dividends. In my time investing, I haven't seen a year so bad for bonds (and I've always held at least 20% of my portfolio in bonds + dividend giants).

I still like to park money that I want for future stock buys into bonds and bond funds since they're pretty liquid. However, it sure isn't the 1980s or 1990s when 10 year treasury rates were 6% or even 10-12%. I barely see why anyone even bought stocks in the early 1980s... bonds were yielding over 10% with almost no risk, and a lot of mutual fund managers logically had US treasury as their top holding. Lol

...With everyone predicting a US market pullback, I guess that's the question right now: "When the going gets tough, the tough buy _____."
    I would say it will probably be mostly the dividend giants for me... Kraft Foods, Nestle, 3M, AT&T, Johnson &Johnson, etc types. I would normally say mainly bonds and some dividend giants, but until the 10yr rate gets to 5% or more, I think it's the other way around for now?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  4. Mintaka

Mintaka Active Member

What is the best website to get a list of U.S. Treasury bonds?

5. leo25

leo25 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think it's clear that 2% is considered low, not sure how anyone can even question that. Pointless to look back more then 100 years ago.

[​IMG]

6. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

it just take a few guys in each city to buy gold and silver, there is nothing left in stores
    3 months waiting time would come to visit

7. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sentiment for gold and silver in Singapore still very bad. There’s no rush for either although there had been some bargain buying in oct/nov.

8. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

with the money from bonds, these people are more astute to investing money, so they are more likely to know about gold, even though the premium can put some of them off
    but it actually take a very small number of them to move the coins/bars inventory, we would see out off stock more often by then.