BITCON... WHY its totally FLAWED

Discussion in 'Digital Currencies' started by 1for1, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Load of Bullion

Load of Bullion Well-Known Member

So you would rather fund the banks when making oversees purchases rather than bypass them via Bitcoin. Fair enough, and it suits the banks too. Bonus :)

Bitcoins provide a currency. Using Bitcoins as a store of wealth or investments an entirely different issue.

Moving precious metals about the country and abroad is slow. It is a risk via the different handlers. I've had a delivery man remark at the weight of my incoming "oh so holy" silver purchases.

I don't expect an intelligent reply BTW :) , just "snake oil". A picture of a physical silver deity to look at would be a bonus though.

2. Lovey80

Lovey80 Well-Known Member

The banks have not given me any reason to not use them with overseas purchases.

Providing a once a year balance of trade payment to countries with gold is 1000 times less risky than any digitally created currency.

3. Load of Bullion

Load of Bullion Well-Known Member

Please don't tell me where you got your data from, Lol. People have all sorts of various needs and requirements when trading. Some people prefer not to fund the banks if possible.

4. spdz

spdz New Member

About half a million AUD of bitcoin moved in the last 15mins, imagine the transaction fees :)

5. Walbertross

Walbertross New Member

Bitcoin is actually pretty good. I have a good rig and I make a considerable amount more than the cost of running it. I convert the bitcoin to cash and buy silver. It not feasable on a standard rig tho.

6. Ryaneod

Ryaneod New Member

You can buy gold and silver for bitcoins . . . soooo yeahhhhhh that is the only reason I am mining them.

7. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

Hello sucker, what do you perceive as a "standard rig"? What setup do you have?
    Are you one of them folder suckers too?
    Thanks.

What people do to get a certificate is amusing. Just for 'gloating'.

If you want to donate, give to Salvation Army when there is nobody around watching. Do it in secret.

Seriously though, I am interested in the hardware you use for mining bitcoins.

Anyone know if it is openCL friendly? I can't be stuffed googling.

8. Ryaneod

Ryaneod New Member

It is OpenCL friendly . . . graphics card is the key, so have a couple in a box because you run a few monitors on it, that would be a dream. ATI does better than NVIDIA too. I have my gaming rig that I am running and a couple laptops for a pool mining. The gaming rig does around 4x better than the laptops and it only has a single graphics card. My PC's are always on at home as I host things from them and VNC into them all day log, so setting the mining up to run on them was no biggie. And, if in a month or so I can afford a 1oz silver coin, then I think ti was worth it. Way better than dropping 5 grand to buy a share is some overseas company to get the free 1oz coin a month. Know what I mean?

9. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

Gosh, please no fanboi stuff.
    BTW, it's AMD not ATI.

For the record, AMD does not do better than Nvidia. You forget, or do not realize, Nvidia have Teslas, the GPUs used for most of the world's most powerful super computers, 4 out of the top 5 use Nvidia Teslas, with the other relying on PowerPCs.
    And, before you state it; Teslas are 'affordable', as are the Nvidia Quadros and AMD Firepros.

A loaf of bread is perceived cheap for you, yet for a Zimbabwean it is perceived expensive.

- Gaming GPUs are for lamer gamers.
    - Workstation GPUs are for those that want power to run realtime port rendering.
    - Teslas are for those that actually want an affordable supercomputer (since server boards and CPUs takes up more space and more upfront capital).

Different tools for different jobs.

I like both AMD and Nvidia. Each have pros and cons, and strengths and weaknesses.
    ///////////////////////////////////
    Thanks for the reply though Ryaneod. Interesting to know it is openCL friendly.
    ///////////////////////////////////

10. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

If any of you are that serious about Bitcoins, then get a proper tool for the job.
    In order:
    - Nvidia Tesla.
    - AMD Firepro (better openCL than the Quadros below).
    - Nvidia Quadro.

11. Ryaneod

Ryaneod New Member

W&F, it wasn't fanboi stuff, it was from here:

Why are AMD GPUs faster than Nvidia GPUs?

Firstly, AMD designs GPUs with many simple ALUs/shaders (VLIW design) that run at a relatively low frequency clock (typically 1120-3200 ALUs at 625-900 MHz), whereas Nvidia's microarchitecture consists of fewer more complex ALUs and tries to compensate with a higher shader clock (typically 448-1024 ALUs at 1150-1544 MHz). Because of this VLIW vs. non-VLIW difference, Nvidia uses up more square millimeters of die space per ALU, hence can pack fewer of them per chip, and they hit the frequency wall sooner than AMD which prevents them from increasing the clock high enough to match or surpass AMD's performance. This translates to a raw ALU performance advantage for AMD:
    AMD Radeon HD 6990: 3072 ALUs x 830 MHz = 2550 billion 32-bit instruction per second
    Nvidia GTX 590: 1024 ALUs x 1214 MHz = 1243 billion 32-bit instruction per second
    This approximate 2x-3x performance difference exists across the entire range of AMD and Nvidia GPUs. It is very visible in all ALU-bound GPGPU workloads such as Bitcoin, password bruteforcers, etc.
    Secondly, another difference favoring Bitcoin mining on AMD GPUs instead of Nvidia's is that the mining algorithm is based on SHA-256, which makes heavy use of the 32-bit integer right rotate operation. This operation can be implemented as a single hardware instruction on AMD GPUs (BIT_ALIGN_INT), but requires three separate hardware instructions to be emulated on Nvidia GPUs (2 shifts + 1 add). This alone gives AMD another 1.7x performance advantage (~1900 instructions instead of ~3250 to execute the SHA-256 compression function).
    Combined together, these 2 factors make AMD GPUs overall 3x-5x faster when mining Bitcoins.

EDIT: source: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Why_a_GPU_mines_faster_than_a_CPU

12. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

Read above (one post before yours). I followed up with another post.

Yes mate.

13. Ryaneod

Ryaneod New Member

I am not sinking money into it, just using what is already running around the house to get some free ounces of silver. Yeah, $2500 a graphics card? I would rather buy PM's! :)

14. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

I have not tried Bitcoin mining on my systems, can't at the moment anyway since I am not at home. Maybe I will run some tests in a month for curiosity. Bit of a pain, as I got to reconfig Debian.

And, no, I am not going to try on my crap netbook with white lines on side of screen (what I am using to troll ATM). :lol:

15. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

That's where we differ. Different interest and priorities.
    However, I am not as bad with computer stuff anymore.

I use to cut opal fulltime, bought plenty of thousand dollar machines, even though I could of used a $100 harsh grinder from Bunnings. One does a better job than the other. Same goes for GPUs. If it is for a business or income stream (pun unintended), and if you are serious, it pays off to get proper tools to do the job.
    Screwdriver is used for screwing, not as a hammer, even though you can still use it as a WTF hammer, but it does a better job for its intended manufactured purpose as a screwdriver. :lol:

16. Walbertross

Walbertross New Member

Strange....even in a community that I thought would be overwhelmingly respectful, there is always someone who feels the need to belittle others to make themselves feel better. I wasn't gloating, I was simply stating that I mine and I make a profit however if you have a machine that is not purpose built you are unlikely to get a good hash rate and will not make a profit.

17. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

I thought that this website was in English?

I don't even know what a bitcoin is. Yes i could look it up but based on the information above i don't think i will bother as i don't think i'm missing much.

18. Dogmatix

Dogmatix Active Member

@NM - bitcoin = Electronic money tokens that have supply controls that increasingly limit the availability of new currency. It has artificial scarcity and therefore some believe that it's enough to derive value.

19. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

Thanks, that makes it all clear for me :p

I still don't really understand, but don't bother explaining, i don't need to know or read about it.

20. Water&Food

Water&Food New Member

I assumed (not 'thought') this place was free from drug users, all this talk of HASH.
    Communities are so-ooooo over raTED.