Big Big day for Greece tmrw.... What will they do?

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by TheEnd, Jun 16, 2012.

1. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

2. Earthjade

Earthjade Member

It will be a hung government.
    More of the same muddling along for at least a few months more.
    If it gets bad enough, Germany will capitulate and there will be a Eurobond sometime in the next few years.

I seriously doubt anything big is going to come out of any of this.

3. SilverMark

SilverMark Member

can't see eurobonds eventuating - Germans won't give up low cost of credit and standard of living

4. Earthjade

Earthjade Member

They will accept Eurobonds because the alternative would be much worse for them.

5. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

On a different topic - the penny has just dropped in the cerebrum!

The bible states in the Book of Revelations that Russia will move down into the middle east in preparation for the last big battle centered over Lebanon and Israel from memory. Syria is just on the edge of these two (2) nations. Interesting times indeed!

6. Earthjade

Earthjade Member

I think you need to stop with the fairy tales.

7. boston

Just because you do not give serious consideration to the bible, doesn't mean it's prophecies will not come to pass.

8. Earthjade

Earthjade Member

The Bible is an interesting document for its historical value but I highly doubt it to be the word of God.
    And the final Book of Revelations, created by an unidentified cast of persecuted Christians centuries after Christ's death can pretty much be interpreted to mean anything you want it to, given its vagueness, but that's how "prophecies" work.
    Just like all that gobbledy gook with Nostradamus that was predicted to mean nuclear war in 1999.
    And the Mayans with the end of this age in December?

I mean, give me a break.
    If they really could tell the future, why didn't they write "and in 2012AD, the nation known as Russia would sell flying machines called helicopters to a nation called Syria which would start a war".
    Instead it's always crap like "the many headed serpent will weave southwards into the valley of the broken crescent and war and famine will follow in its wake".
    I could "predict the future" with that kind of material as well.

9. boston

Certainly a topic worthy of it's own thread, but I doubt it would be allowed, as it has the potential to polarise many resulting in many bad vibes.

You seem to write with some authority on the subject. Can you advise how many years you have been studying the bible?

10. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

Really comes down to the voters wanting to either pay more taxes with even more austerity or just saying no we won't do it.....Either way they're screwed!

11. Earthjade

Earthjade Member

I read it through once: it bored me.
    I also read some of the gnostic gospels that were omitted sometime in the 5 or 6th centuries - they were more interesting.
    But I found the best person to write about Christianity to be St. Aquinas, having read selected excerpts of the Summa Theologica.
    Given the age he was living in and the insights that he had, his work is nothing short of art.

But the point was not about Christianity but how prophecies to be "effective" need to be decisively vague.
    Then other people fill in the gaps.

12. boston

So, let me see if I have this correct.

You read the bible once, was bored with it and likened it to a fairytale.

I must admit that sometimes I have the same feeling reading economic data from the various comentators - but the surprising thing is, that I still take on board their observations and advice as to what the future holds.

13. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

Betrayed by a friend for 30 pieces of silver in the temple with the proceeds going to buy a potters field... pretty specific to me

14. Earthjade

Earthjade Member

And written after the fact, so that can make any prediction come true.
    But people have been waiting for Judgement Day for centuries, the Book of Revelations always applying to their age as the end of days.
    I mean, come on.

You would be wise to ignore both when it comes to telling the future.
    And this is coming from somebody that has a degree in economics - from that end, it's all bunk.

15. Earthjade

Earthjade Member

People need not be so thin skinned.
    I am not some ranting atheist that believes any one with faith is an idiot.
    Far from it.
    But before anyone goes for the knee jerk reaction, let it be clear that my problem is with prophecy, not faith.
    When it comes to people trying to convince me that prophecy is a valid way of predicting the future, then I will call that absurdity no matter where the source of the prophecy came from.

16. LovingtheSilver

LovingtheSilver Active Member Silver Stacker

I think they will vote to keep the current terms, even though things are bad now... i think it will come down to "better the devil you know than the one you don't"

17. Nugget

Nugget Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The party that say's "Rope's and lamp posts for the Bankers and nothing for bond holders unless they make to much noise then they need to be careful of 'accidents' " will romp it in

18. jpanggy

jpanggy Active Member

@earthjade:

you brought up an interesting topic on the history of bible.

There were no known written christian documents until 50 a.d.; 20 years after the christ died. Up until that point, it was all verbally communicated. Likelihood of chinese whispers was very high.

Up to 140 a.d. there was no official bible, just letters by christian dudes. Until a bishop decided to come up with the idea of a standard compilation (canon), he was later excommunicated and considered heretic and his actions led the main surviving branch of christians (later becomes catholics) to come up with their own canon.

So, yeah, the whole written or inspired by God thing really looks different after knowing these.

19. boston

Sorry. Not strictly true. The bible is loosely made up of essentially two (2) parts - the old testament and the new testament. The old testament whilst not an accumulation at the time, was actually written before the birth of Jesus. The new testament was, as you state, written after the death of Jesus.

Of interesting note is the work of Ivan Panin who believed that the mathematical signature of the bible, effectively could not have been orchestrated by man, but only by the hand of God.

Being somewhat inquisitive, I actually contacted the mathematicians at British Aero Research who did the validatory work on Panin's bible mathematics, to verify this. Their summation was, that Panin was predominately accurate with only a few small errors.

There was no way, given the technology at the time, that a group of men geographically isolated from each other, could consistently embed a series of mathematical sequences into the original manuscripts - but God could!

20. jpanggy

jpanggy Active Member

The old testament is originally Jewish document. Let me clarify then, I refer to christian bible as the new testament.

The new testament part did not quite exist in writing form prior to 50 a.d. This discovery can be skewed, because Constantine (first christian emperor) and countless other religious leaders in the first century A.d. up to middle ages likes to burn books.

Everytime they torch a library, we lose plenty of knowledge.

Thing is, Panin's work is still highly debated. It is not unanimously accepted as proof of divinity. Not to dismiss this as trivial, but it is very inconclusive. Throwing lots of inconclusive evidence of divinity (shroud of turin another example) does not make divinity true, rather it showcases how badly people want their faith to be true (human nature).

Look, I am not here to prove God does not exist or anything of the like. But just like how I approached precious metals investment and knowledge in general, I question everything and try to take no consideration the things that are hotly debated. I am interested only in truth ... no matter how ugly the truth is. Just like in economics, science, psychology, business, relationships, etc ... the truth is often times ugly.