Bh Mayer gold coins, need valuing

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by Spoony, May 13, 2015.

1. Spoony

Spoony New Member

Hi all,

I have inherited a few gold coins from B.H. mayer but i cant find alot of information about them. If someone is an expert and can help me value or tell me if its real, that would b great:

[​IMG]
    Source:

[​IMG]
    Source:

Back of coin

[​IMG]
    Source:

2. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Very interesting coins there.

Only able to ID the Bhutan ngultrum gold coin.

The other one seems to be a gold Somalia coin, with mecca on the obverse.

3. TreasureHunter

TreasureHunter Well-Known Member

Very interesting. Can't see these often. Nice pieces, thanks for sharing! :)

4. Spoony

Spoony New Member

They were bought in singapore in year 2000 around $700 per coin, quite a bit of premium.

5. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

They were made by this private mint in Germany: http://www.mayermint.com/index.htm

You could try contacting them for more information, and getting a non-destructive test done on them shouldn't be too difficult.

6. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

I did a bit of poking around when this thread 1st came out.

Didn't really find much, other than there were a couple eBay listings for the Somalia back in 2011 & 2012(?), from what I recall.

That, and the currency value on both of them seem to "make sense," compared to some of the other issues by those two countries around that year.

Anyway, that's both the blessing & the curse of rare / unknown coins: Typically can't find much about 'em!

I know what that's like sometimes (for Ag), heh. Can be frustrating, especially when trying to determine approximate value. Heck, even just a mintage would be nice.

Very cool coins!

And I'm with the other poster: Try contacting the mint. Though don't hold your breath, either.

Just explain who you are & what the situation is. May or may not get a decent response.

Good luck, and let us know!

7. Spoony

Spoony New Member

After spending many weeks searching, finally found some info on the coins. The coins originally were marketed by a group known as Goldquest. This was a MLM company specializing in selling gold numismatics from Mayer Mint in Germany. The coins themselves were alright and were good quality, the company however was selling other products that weren't as good. Other problem is that as you can see from the price, it was selling those coins at US$800 per ounce when the price of gold in 2000 was only USD$270!! So those who bought the gold (including my father), were kinda "scammed" in a way. The company regarded the proof coins as collector grade due to low mintage to justify the premium, but the price was quite high and so i dont think they minted that many coins in the timeframe shown.

Good thing now is that since gold has gone to A$1700 an ounce, it wasn't such a bad investment after all lol. Only took 15 years though...

The coins were rare as well, i couldn't find any sellers for the somali 2000 coin. The dragon coin only has a mintage of about 1000 according to another site and one was sold in 2012 for US$2400! But that was when gold spot was US$1700+

[​IMG]
    Source:

8. Altima

Those are still very nice coins in my opinion. I guess it all depends on how long you are willing to wait for the investment to break even :)

9. Spoony

Spoony New Member

i might sell the somali coin but waiting for spot to go up enough to sell for $2k haha

10. Altima

2K AUD? Woo. That might be awhile.

Guess you could try finding a buyer in Dubai or something!

11. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

If it's any consolation, I'd be all over those -- if I had the funds.. :( :lol:

Would it help to have them graded & slabbed, since not a lot is known about them?

Could help with the legitimacy, which might persuade a buyer on the fence. Possibly get that much of a better price for 'em that way, too.

Be patient. The right buyer will come along eventually. Can't get if you don't ask.

And in the meantime, you get to enjoy some pretty cool coins..