Benedict XVI Resign

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Aengrod, Feb 11, 2013.

1. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There's a shite load of money in tax-free milking of the gullible.

2. boston

boston Active Member Silver Stacker

There is more in their business's.

In fact I would guess that everyone on this forum would interact/purchase at least one product per day that financially benefits the vatican.

3. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

Plus, just imagine you are someone who likes to "play" with children.

The church provides easy access to them, a certain position of authority (who would think?), no suspicion about not having a girlfriend/wife, plus rather than submitting you to the law they will move you somewhere else if you get caught and all you have to do is dress up in a funny outfit. Quite an attractive setup if you are that way inclined. Where else does an institution protect you from the law? There shouldn't be any surprise that they are infested with those people.

4. bordsilver

:lol: +1

But, but, but these guys have the super-normal power of absolving sins of common people (and for a small fee you can also avoid purgatory). Clearly they must be superior to the average person somehow and are above reproach. :p

5. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Club Ped.

6. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have a problem when all priests are labelled as paedophile by the actions of the section that is. The Vatican hasn't helped that perception. If they'd prosecuted according to law when they first had the chance, rather than burying the issue, then the 'good' priests wouldn't be tarnished so badly.

Some priests perform a useful function for their 'flocks' - and I use that world advisedly.

Paedophilia has become the new 'nasty' to distract the population from far greater crimes in society imho.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Firstly I'd say that pedophilia is as bad as any other crime one would deem 'greater crimes' and secondly I can't see how exposing the tragedy of pedophilia distracts the population from other crimes.

I agree with you that it's very bad that the good priests are tarnished so badly

Come on Julie..... It sounds like your not happy about pedophilia being exposed... Saying it has become the 'new nasty'.. What the hell re you talking about

8. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

How times have changed.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i800jcY1Q7A[/youtube]

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Julie, I'd really like to hear your response... I usually agree with you but on this one, no way..........

10. doomsday surprise

doomsday surprise Active Member Silver Stacker

11. JulieW

I think I'm being misconstrued.

Perhaps because the pedophile issue is a relatively 'new phenomenon' in the news - previously covered up by everyone. Child abuse is horrendous and one of the crimes that deserves the attention paid to it currently.

My point is that 'think of the children' is used as a catch-cry to distract the population from so many other crimes against people, children included; the crimes of abuse and neglect you see almost daily in our society and we live in the fairly advanced West. Issues such as female genital mutilation which I'm sure occur in Australia have never been prosecuted as far as I'm aware. The bleeding heart responses and band aids applied to the massive child endangerment and abuse in some social service supported settlements are positively third world. And we all feel satisfied when some old pedophile is hauled back from the Phillipines or some remote parish retirement or some such and we're supposed to feel like the law is working and that vengeance is satisfied.

Not to mention the combined 'pedophile' threats on the internet being used as an emotional trigger to lend support to censorship of the interwebs.

I don't mean to lessen the seriousness of sexual crimes against children and the heart breaking stories of lives ruined, but the picture is much larger and the easy catch cry of 'pedo' is just more distraction put out by the MSM and exploited by the powermongers.

I never used to, but I believe now that true evil can live inside humans (perhaps some brains are simply so malformed), but to focus too much on only one type of evil too much, leaves the others too much room to maneuver.

The 'elite' in all its forms has been raping children for millenia and continues to do so, but these days we don't get to see the larger picture, only the pathetic and mundane instances of evil that will distract us.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks for clearing that up. You make some excellent points.

13. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

I don't think all priests are paedophiles. Even though I regard the whole religion thing as nonsense, just basically ancient myth and superstition, I'm sure there are some well-intentioned priests. I was just pointing out that the way that they have things setup is quite likely to attract these people. And the evidence seems to back this up.

If paedophilia is genetic, and it makes sense to me that it is, then people who think that way are not criminals or monsters and should not be treated as such. In fact, I think they should generally be treated with compassion as it must be horrible for otherwise good people to have those thoughts. The ones that act on their thoughts however are a different story and have then engaged in criminal behaviour. I don't think it's helpful the way society pushes the issue into the shadows, because most people want to pretend anyone who thinks that way is evil and just don't want to deal with it. More childish behaviour by society in general imo.

Anyway, my reading of history suggests that child abuse was common by almost everyone, not just the elite, throughout the entirety of human history, and only in fairly recent times has it started to abate. I think this is generally a result of the harsh history that we humans have gone through and a relative lack of resources and knowledge for most people throughout most of history. The abundance that we all know today is a very recent phenomenon historically speaking. History has been full of the abusers and the abused. And as we know the abused very often become abusers themselves. We only have to look at many child-rearing expressions and traditions to know that child abuse has been common throughout our culture just like every culture. It wouldn't make sense if it was only common in some and not others.

14. JulieW

I agree about the genetic basis, and that would make it an undeniable sexuality - which is rather grim if you consider that it leads you toward prison or suicide or most likely a lot of depression and the fear of being ostracised. It is the unrepentant predators that I have a problem with.

15. bordsilver

If it is genetic and yet it is still so fundamentally "wrong" in that it (tends to) harshly infringe the rights of the most vulnerable in society who are meant to be guarded and shepherded through to adulthood, why let them breed?

If they genetically (or otherwise) can't respect other people's rights they give up their own with the degree of the infringement determining the degree of the punishment.

BUT saying that, I am hugely in favour of not ostracising and active rehabilitation of all criminals as humans are naturally fallible for many reasons (not just genetic).

16. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker

Are you saying that this deviant behaviour that is demonstrably transferable from a deviant to another, otherwise normal human being is a deviancy that can be transferred by DNA?

My first reaction is to think that if there is any evidence of DNA transference of paedophilia, which I doubt, then such evidence is more likely a mis-interpretation of parental or other intra-family abuse which has led to the transference of the condition to the abused.

What you have in these closed, sexually repressed groups of priests is a bunch of people obviously prone to adopting this form of sexual deviancy and it spreads like a pathogen. When viewed like that, one can pretty easily see that its a mental infection that is contagious and priests are at high risk of contracting it.

Just my opinion of course, but that's how I view priests. A high risk group.

17. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

The denial of a sexual outlet can lead to an unhealthy expression of its repression usually directed at the most vulnerable in any given context.

18. bordsilver

^ As far as I can gather, minimal real research has been done (probably because it's a bit of a taboo topic) but, from my understanding, many seem to think that genetic influences are indeed probable but (as you stated) the environmental factors are no doubt a huge variable that should never be disregarded.

19. Guest

Guest Guest

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgRm1ISlw_A[/youtube]

20. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker