Before you sell stocks STOP to consider your medium term outlook and CGT

Discussion in 'Stocks & Derivatives' started by Ipv6Ready, Jun 19, 2022.

1. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

For all stock holders before you sell any of your your stocks first look at each stock individually to calculate which stocks are going to cost you CGT or save you CGT.

First off the rank is look at stocks that you bought that are 100% under water ie you bought at $1 and it is now 50c. These are ripe for CGT havesting with June 30 around the corner. Also consider that few stocks will double in the next 12 months. So harvest the CGT now and if you still like the stock buy back in when recession is nearing the end be it 6 months or 2 years away.

For silver stacker audience who have invested in penny stocks ie many ESG stocks bought at 10c rose to $1 but now sitting at 50c. Carefully consider the stock and are you willing to pay CGT tax.

If you like the stock, selling could lead to double whammy of capital loss and CGT, if the markets moves against you.
    If you are worried that business or mine wont survive ie bankruptcy than paying CGT now is better than waiting around years in liquidation outcome but if you think in x years that it is goer.... selling now and paying GCT tax is a mistake.

If I confused you, find yourself a Financial advisor

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
  2. Real $

Real $ Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for this mate. I'm total amateur with stocks/shares but despite every bear market and crash since the great depression with enough time invested and DCA it always swings back and it makes money. I'm holding and buying even tho the red days been drastic I think the old saying of time in the market instead of timing the market rings true. Good quality companies at a discount with proven records should stand test of time as inevitably history repeats it's self, optimistically.

3. 66rounds

66rounds Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Share a few of your favourite tickers

Real $ likes this.
  4. Real $

...As previously stated I'm an amateur obviously ;) but I'm also working within a budget lower then more experienced and knowledgeable investors and stackers. I'm betting long on Nasdaq 100 and recovery of tech, trying to hedge with relatively stable global healthcare ETF Cheaper semi deversified miner with S32 and while it's grown imo through solid choices and acquisitions it has future potential with battery commodities and materials. A high yield dividend ETF, PLS/Pilbara which was doing well Until shitcoin Sachs dropped their report...which they most likely bought in heavily when lithium dropped 30% in one day ;) still locked I to AVZ who's stuck in their dispute with the Chinese for % rights. And most amateur decision and 1st...COL reasonably priced, reliable dividends and what id possibly incorrectly call a semi defensive stock as we need to eat and they also supply fuel and liquor. So a novice approach but I'm still learning and its diversified a lil Into diff sectors. Financials,miners,healthcare and big business like Google,Microsoft, apple,etc thru Nasdaq...and RIO,BHP, big 4 banks,Wesfarmers,etc thru ETF it's not ideal but still gives exposure and slight room for growth with established dividends. Short term pain but in the 5-15 years time frame with redistributed dividends maybe I'll make afew shiny coins ;) I'm hedging with gold and to smaller degree silver,physical assets which I prefer but at least have afew more options now and "productive assets". Don't be to harsh on my choices plz but if U have advice and insight I'd def look Into it, cheers

Ipv6Ready and mmm....shiney! like this.
  5. Ipv6Ready

@Real $

If you are looking 15 years time frame. Even a small parcel bought today can double or tripple or ten times what some stocks can be bought today.

First sign up to Stake as a your brokerage, normally I dont recommend cheaper brokers but Stake is Chess sponsored and at $3 a trade I cant recommend anyone else. Before you sign up talk to your family or friends to see if any one of them can send you referral link.

PLS you are on the money -> the next BHP
    MSFT -> Bargain today
    Google-> Bargain today
    Amazon-> Bargain today

You won't go wrong with any of the above or any of the other assets you mentioned global healthcare ETF, S32, Apple, RIO, BHP. I did delete some asset names I would not invest in at the moment but that is not because they are "bad"

AVZ you were unlucky but being locked in could have been a blessing. If you are not planning to sell than everyday price changes doesnt matter but coinsider soveriegn risk.

Nasdaq100 still have too many duds inside the index that needs to be washed out but if you are buying MSFT, GOOG, AMZN, AAPL -> why do you need NDQ100.

Looking for something less risky buy a small position of SYA for outsized return -> SYA - what it has going for it is location Canada Tier 1 mining jurisdiction, there is some hoopla about PLL taking 50% of the profit but 50% of SYA is worth $1.50 minimum when in production in a year and is trading at low teens today.

Assets like Global Healthcare or Major Banks really depend on your age but if your goal is making wealth (you are 45 and below) and not preserving wealth (45 plus) I will leave them for a while

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
    oziwassabi and Real $ like this.
  6. Real $

@Ipv6Ready thankyou for the information and insight mate, much appreciated. Following an earlier thread I looked into stake and signed up after some research and your promotion of it, it looks good and as it's chess sponsored seems I have proper registered ownership surprising that this differs through over brokers. Was initially very bullish on lithium In general and def seems the greater opinion is this way it's talked about more then any other commodity recently, good old Goldman Sachs def put a negative spin on things combined with economic slowdown, PLS BMX auctions are continually showing solid prices for lithium but many other reports indicate the price per weight will fall long term so perhaps they'll have to rely on quantity to make more cash. CXO should be next producer and Liontown has contracts ready but tbh I've sold off several diff holdings and allocated cash elsewhere, silly choice as loss short term but feel abit more comfortable with decisions now. AVZ was imo a lesson I think as like U said about sovereign risk and just in my mind I'm going to be cautious of foreign resources as they're more risk on. NDQ100 is a way for me to gain low cost exposure to these big companies as I'm only investing 10s of 1000s not hundreds and this is spread into different sectors, basically the price was right relative to others like the SnP not best choice but still long term I'm hoping once things rebalance it will show results, it was a top performer in etfs for afew years. Last speculations was a REIT and been doing some research into the upside and potential of uranium so I've invested in a company with no debt, physical surplus and a restart for year, spot uranium going up slowly renewables are ineffective and no country sustains themselves on it alone and Australia has huge reserves so it could be a good play...could also be terrible haha but I believe fundamentals are there. Still learning and alot to learn so thanks alot of your advice :) Things that are happening simultaneously on a global scale are making any investing decisions vague at this time and we could be in this situation for years, hopefully bit by bit I'll get a better grasp of investing in general ;)

7. Real $

Sorry for the long ramble also...it puts a veil on the obvious fact I still don't know what I'm doing properly, but still have time to learn and do better

oziwassabi and mmm....shiney! like this.
  8. Ipv6Ready

Dont worry too much about Goldman Sachs Lithium report they are wrong.

As for Soveriegn Risk -> it is everywhere not just in Africa.

USA -> PLL unlikely to get a mining licence but will prod along with 50% of SYA production.
    Europe-> RIO not getting Serbian mining licence
    Australia-> QLD Coal Super Profit tax

Only way to avoid Soveriegn Risk is diversification

Goto 2:20 and listen to his reponse about GS lol.

Real $ likes this.
  9. Real $

1st thoughts other then some irritation about the GS report was they're buying the fear that they created,dropping price up to 30% in one day and more the next was def enabled them to buy in again at good prices. Report was interesting as he said they're actually involved in the industry. Was late to the party but like pls it's 100% domestically owned with great transport routes established and large reserves, would've been far better to invest when it was a smaller junior company but long term I'm still thinking there's upside to be had. Was waiting for the US inflation numbers today now over 9% "official" numbers thought It would have a more negative effect on our markets too, perhaps they've priced it in? Either way imo there will still be some big drops throughout the board incoming so good buying opportunities. Thanks for sharing that