Bali 9! Are you for or against the execution of the 2 Bali 9 members?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by silvestor, Mar 11, 2015.

1. silvestor

silvestor Member Silver Stacker

It seems that Australians are 50/50 on whether the execution should take place. I see the point of both sides of the argument but I am strongly opposed to the imminent execution and I hope common sense prevails and they get reprieved. What are your views on the topic?

2. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Active Member Silver Stacker

I don't believe it's Australia's place to interfere with Indonesian law. If politicians want to try and score cheap political points in an effort to protect Australian citizens fine facing execution then that's fine, but at the end of the day they broke the law knowing the penalty if caught so they can face the consequences that go with their actions.

3. Nedsnotdead

Nedsnotdead Active Member Silver Stacker

Most who I speak with quietly tell me they can't wait for it to be all over with and the sooner the better.
    A few more outspoken generally younger people I have spoken with are signing petitions etc and think its terrible.

Personally I have no sympathy at all for drug dealers. Absolute grubs of society

4. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

^ This.

5. Miloman

Miloman Active Member Silver Stacker

Indonesia is a fairly murderous regime from Timor to West Papua. The atrocities that not only have happened but are still occurring are incomprehensible to the average Aussie watching MSM.

The international community is silent.

So Indonesia has no moral creditability at all. None, zero.

As far as the drug traffickers, well murder them is rather extreme as is their crime. But I still believe that drug users enable dealers and trafficking too and play a major role. And users are seen as victims.

I tend to lean towards jailing rather than murdering them. I still think that they are bad eggs despite the calls of "rehabilitation", so I am doubtful that if they were given any freedom that they would be "good" people. But still I am against murder.

6. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

A few points where both governments are wrong.

The duo were sentenced to death; not death and 10 years. As the executions were not carried out in good time, they have effectively been tortured by fear of execution. The sentence should be revisited.

As to our government's protests, in 2008 when the Bali Bombers were executed, the government did not step in and ask for leniency. In fact, it protested over the delays. We are hypocrites.

7. alexisio

alexisio New Member Silver Stacker

Australians told the Indonesians about the Bali 9 , Why didnt they wait an arrest them in Australia ? Just wondering, then we wouldnt have all this shit

8. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not surprising.
    It is generally the younger, more outspoken generation who refuse to take responsibility for their own decisions, so it is fitting that they believe others shouldn't have to either.

9. Miloman

Bali bomb maker actually is now a free man, just recently being released.

Read all about it....
    http://www.news.com.au/world/indone...muhammad-cholili/story-fndir2ev-1227016024717

10. Miloman

Yep AFP should be jailed along with anyone assisting this act. It actually amounts to treason IMO.

11. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

Whilst I agree with this in principle, there are laws in other countries which I find truly abhorrent to the progress of the human race, that make the death penalty for convicted drug dealers seems like a sensible law in comparison.
    Try the dozen or so (all muslim) countries who have the death penalty for apostasy for example. Death for just changing your mind...

To the question at hand though, I'm against it.

12. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Either the sentencing judge and Indonesian PM kill one each,

or released with time served.

It's not as if they would re-offend.

13. tozak

tozak Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Where is the rehabilitation in execution? Where is the attempt to correct ones wrongs in the correctional center by execution? Who gives someone the right to end someones life because of a political ruling?

I would never advocate for those drug trafficking heroin but who gives someone the right to take the lives of those that do?

You have minds that have not yet had the life experience to fully understand and comprehend empathy or morality and the full capacity of their actions. I would argue that it's immoral and unethical to execute anyone that commits any crime if at the time they were under the age of 35. Who knows what loss to society it will be if you execute someone before you even give them a chance to correct any wrongs and contribute to society. A hard stance on drugs does nothing to better society, it's does not rid the problem and it does not help the victims it only creates more victims.

They should be given 20 years at absolute tops and the burden shared, if 50% of there time is in Indonesia then 50% of there time should be done in their own country at their own countries cost, then released if on good behavior. Do you honestly think they would try it again after what they have been through?

14. alexisio

alexisio New Member Silver Stacker

Pretty sure thats not going to happen. However there would be hell to pay if they were released an did re-offend. Im thinking life in prison would sound real good to them.

15. SilverDJ

Society does. At least in democratically elected governments, of which Indonesia is supposed to be one now.
    In theory it is the people who drive the government policy, and in this case I think the majority of Indonesians support the death penalty. Or at least the majority of political leaders do.

16. tozak

We live in a Democratic elected Government do you support the majority of all Australian Legislation?

17. Miloman

Frankly tozak made the argument already. Regardless of if the majority want to murder others, wrong is still wrong. Might is not moral nor is it right.

Indonesia is murderous and the sooner Aussies wake up to their cruelty and unspeakable act of horror the better!

18. SilverDJ

That is why I said in theory.
    A government is usually elected based on just a handful of major issues come election time, and even then you usually don't agree with all of those, let alone the hundreds of other laws that get passed during the term.
    Like it or not how effective it is is practice, that's how democracy is supposed to work. If millions of Indonesians decided to march against the death penalty and a ground swell of sentiment built up around it, you can bet it would be on the agenda at the next election and the law stands a good chance of getting overturned.

And, no I don't agree with most things the Abbott government have done, because I wasn't stupid enough to vote for the moron.

19. SilverDJ

I was not trying to defend it, I stated I was against it. Just pointing out why they have the death penalty.
    And also why other countries have the death penalty for things that aren't even crimes!, in fact they are a rights afforded by the freedoms in any civilized modern society.
    Death for apostasy, death for blasphemy, death for homosexuality, death for adultery, death for insulting your family honor etc etc - no one wants to get all up in arms about those, right?

20. tozak

And what if it was seen as a political crime to march against the government? We can't just assume that silence is their acceptance. The voice is the voice of reason, it's the Natural Law bestowed in ever living person, if you are religious then it's the fact that only God or Allah can decide their fate and if your not religious then it's common sense that no one is above the Natural Law to challenge another person basic human right to exist, even if they are a Government and even if they were trafficking drugs.