Bailout of Cyprus to cost depositors 10% immediately

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by Caput Lupinum, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There's strong rumours that the levy don't pass the Cypriot parliament. There's no absolute majority government in Cyprus and 3 of the parties have ruled flatout that they won't support it which is why the vote as been delayed. Effectively there's less than 48 hours until Cyprus may default 30 billion

2. nickybaby

nickybaby Active Member Silver Stacker

This will be the last time i reply because you seem to want to just argue rather than actually understand the point i am making.

If you came and took 10% of my savings i would not go on a general bender and just rage and burn stuff down. Which is what you seem to be saying. How is it acceptable to go and burn down anything because someone has stolen something from you? Go and take it back sure but not go and burn everything down.

Since when does violence equate to making a point? Can you not make the point without violence? or are your skills at arguing so poor that you must resort to violence? If you hate the systems we have in place, please tell me or show me a better system.

You also seem to be bringing in arguments that I have not even touched upon. What does "What do you call the orchestrated theft from millions of people in order to prop up the banking cartels of the west" have to do with my opinion on violence?

Anywise im off to stack more silver, you can go and get some fuel and make a cocktail to burn down stuff, enjoy.

3. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

Just saw another report on this from BBC. The government in Cyprus has been in office for only 15 days and the new President ran a ticket in the recent election opposing any bailout involving a levy.

*So the people are starting to question that they elected a no-bailout leader but it is happening anyway.

*This is effectively being imposed by the EU finance ministers and can't be avoided.

*The emergency weekend session of parliament meant to pass the law to impose the levy has been delayed.

* The government is indicating it will punish anyone who makes an electronic transfer out of Cypriot banks before Tuesday to avoid the levy.

*Even after all that, they interviewed a Cypriot economist. Ironically he was from the European University of Cyprus. He said that with the run on the banks that was beginning, and the effect of the levy, the Cypriot economy may shrink even more than had the banks not been bailed out in this way in the first place. The economist said that he he expected the severe recession that would be caused by the levy would itself require a 2nd bailout.

It's a Greek tragedy in the classical sense. Forget Pyrrhic victories - this looks like a Pyrrhic failure. What a turtled situation that is developing.

4. Aengrod

Aengrod Member

Just as Kyle Bass said, Europe cant recap the bank, else they'll go broke just like Irish.

On the topic: government just like all others: extend and pretend, till the moment it cant. Only escape is the Icelandic way.

5. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So no answer I see, just a baseless equation of violence equalling some immoral baseness that is beneath you. No answer as to what you would do if I just came along and took 10% of your hard earned apart from go and take it back..... But how ? just how would you respond to me, an individual stomping in and taking from you and your family by force ?
    You seem to think that this action in Cyprus has taken place without force and that it is some passive exercise against people who have saved the proceeds of their labour. It is anything but, they have the whole of the system arrayed against them, not only their own government and system but the whole Eurozone system for support as well from the top politicians to the lowliest paid policeman in fear of his job and no doubt those of society without a dollar in the bank awaiting their next dole check who are also held to ransom.

You seem to think that this sort of thing is not violence, just as rape is not violent if the victim is asleep ?. If I kick your head in while you are unconscious and you can not feel it is that violence ? If I never touch a hair on your head while holding a gun to it is that violence ? If the system threatens to or actually does impinge on your sovereign right to hold your own property as earned is that violence ? They have already taxed you and your employer, already charged you fees for placing it with them and earned profit from doing so, charge you for access to your own money and spending it on a machine and an internet connection already paid for many times over and which they already profit from, and then when they, due to their ineptness encounter problems they seek to punish you for it and give you no choice in the matter, is that not violence ?

I can tell you now if you tried that shit on me as an individual I would hunt you down and get my money back, if I was unable to I would inflict commensurate expenses with immediate compounding interest applicable. This is the same system and same organisations who have no qualms about throwing whole family's out on the street when they are remiss on making regular payments, the same bunch who care not about what a percentage here or there means to the food on a childs plate as long as the bottom line is met and the share price is in the green. They own the politicians, the police, the regulators, the system and through it they own you.

And the reason why ? it is because people like yourself accept it. People who are far more comfortable being sodomised by the system than they are standing on their own, people who sit and nod to Oprah and doctor Phil, Judge Judy and Australian Idol, Master chef and koshy in the morning. The sort who turn around one day and go "Shit how did that happen ?"

It happened while you were comfortable and condescending, it happened while good people said and did nothing, it happens when the people you vote for and naively trust screw you in the ass while charging you for the vaseline they use to make it less painful and it happens because you let them get away with it.

I think I've given you some quite good examples above from the other side but there comes a point when the subdued and sinister aspects of that reach a crescendo when enough is enough, I mean really just how many bailouts and how much austerity can a population bear when the end result is nothing more than a continuation of the same cause and effect ? The banks never suffer, the shares don't drop, the bonus's are still paid, the manipulation continues, and the politicians are still bought and paid for.

Call me a cynic but a person just has to wonder why the U.S. DHS has recently procured 1.6 billion hollow point rounds of ammunition along with refurbished APC's, drones, a whole swath of new laws based on domestic issues all while promoting day in day out the end of bad times? Or why comparably small population centres in Australia need these ?

[​IMG]
    Source:

6. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

The financial psychopaths are working on it. They are down the hall, next to "human resources".

7. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Any reason why? The reason I ask, is that I have an interest there and any information would be helpful.

8. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker

That's interesting and makes sense. They're sending up a test balloon to see how much the public will bear before looking at the means of stealing personal wealth elsewhere in Europe. I thought it smelled a little fishy when last week it was announced Italians were wealthier than Germans on a per capita basis. It sounded like an excuse in the making.

9. systematic

Its a fiat system. Its artificial. What debt? Just print up some more...

10. Mintaka

Mintaka Active Member

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsC-0xBtbuY[/youtube]

11. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

A Cypriot bank holiday on Monday will limit any immediate reaction.

The deposit levy - set at 9.9 percent on bank deposits exceeding 100,000 euros

and

6.7 percent on anything below that - will be imposed on Tuesday, if voted through in parliament.

That is not certain to happen, but fear of the alternative - probable default - will focus minds.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...cyprus-riskbre92g0bg-20130317,0,1448664.story

12. radiobirdman

radiobirdman Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

F*cken Thieving C*nts . whats next your first born

13. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Will there be a run on the banks at the first chance people get? You bet your sweet ass there will be. Have to remember in this part of the world, people arent as lazy about their money as say Australia. Most Cypriots are Greeks or Turks and operate in their day-to-day lives in a cash economy.

14. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The bank holiday has been extended to Tuesday so banks won't open in Cyprus until Wednesday if they do re-open and if the banksters don't have a change of heart between now and then and water down the bailout terms they will take the money regardless of the result of the vote in the Cyprus parliament. The end result is the complete lack of confidence in banks across southern europe.

15. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker

And from Forbes Magazine ...

Well, seems like they must have had a specific reason to do this and most likely it is a test of a broader they want to adopt across Europe. My guess is, if they don't get a broad uprising against this, then they will role it out against the dilligent savers across the PIIGS.

And again from Forbes, this time from their Cyprus bailout FAQ:
    The EU forced them to assist bailout Greece (twice), Ireland and Portugal, putting them deeper in debt and now because they are deeper in debt are directly stealing people's money! This must be their broader plan across the debtor nations of Europe.

Nigel Farage, where are you! These EU people are insane.

From Nigel Farage ...
    Some how I don't think they will be offered that choice!

16. systematic

This is what can happen with an electronic money system. Hopefully this will bring out the fact that digital money is NOT safe.

17. radiobirdman

radiobirdman Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Digital money is not real money. and dont worry about BitCON they will smash that if it gets to big.

The only thing you really have to swap is your labour and goods you produce.

18. valuecreator

valuecreator Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I don't see what's the problem here.

After all, isn't taxes the price we pay for civilization?

/sarc

19. Dogmatix

Dogmatix Active Member

If people feel so badly about this, wait until they discover ShadowStats

20. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Taking from the productive/savers and giving it to those who are neither, nothing new here but it is the scale and speed at which the 10% will dissapear which is making this one stand out more. I am pretty sure the Greeks had to pay an Emergency Property Tax last year, or at least, the ones who owned property had to.

I can see why the UK was so reluctant to have anything to do with Europe.