Bad quality packaging vs no packaging, which is worth less?

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by hitokage, Jul 22, 2020.

1. hitokage

hitokage Member Silver Stacker

I recently picked up one of those 1 oz silver, 1/20 gold, 1/20 plat Perth Mint sets. You know the ones, comes in an awful green box that looks like someone has glued 1mm of leather to a pool toy, and stuck it around a box with some cheap miniature golfing green inside for the coins to sit in. Truly awful.

To top if off, if I touch the box it disintegrates in my hand, leaving my fingers actually green and tearing at the leather covering.

Eventually I'll sell the set. Maybe today, maybe fifty-seven years from now, but whenever that is I wonder if the box is a help or a hindrance to me? It shows it's a complete set, but it's so god damned awful I feel like if I posted it out on a hot summers day you'd have the coins swimming in a green leather soup by the time it arrived.

If I throw the box away, I'll potentially be able sell the coins a la carte. Gold might be worth more one day versus the next, and platinum the reverse, and so on. I can see the benefits to this. But I cannot shake the feeling that ditching the box will do me harm, even if being near the box makes me feel like I'm going to catch something off it.

How would you approach this?

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Why not put some images up? ;)

hitokage likes this.
  3. hitokage

I’ve obviously failed to evoke enough emotions in my telling of this to illicit your feelings without a photo or two. Ha. I apologise, I’ll do better next time. :)
    E2C0C595-3330-4B38-AF8A-5BA3FF9A6198.jpeg 02C0ABD1-BD5C-48DF-A9E4-064710FB0FF8.jpeg

It’s just so gross. I don’t like touching it. :confused:

Holdfast likes this.
  4. hardyakkagold

hardyakkagold Active Member

This is a bit of a tricky one to answer @hitokage

In my selling on eBay over the years, I have found that that selling a coin in a capsule only can sometimes bring a better price than
    selling it in a damaged or grubby packaging, however seeing yours is a precious metals mini set that may not case.

These sets for whatever reasons bring a much higher price when sold together in packaging than you could probably get if you sold
    just the coins separately.

So it might be an idea to hold on to the packaging despite its condition.

You would be surprised at the condition of some of the packaging of coins that I have seen sell for high prices on eBay over the years.:eek:

Holdfast and hitokage like this.
  5. hitokage

Thanks. I’m just glad silver is antibacterial because otherwise, after touching that thing, I’d be very worried for my health.

I know the packaging shouldn’t make such a big deal, metal is metal is metal, but it seems to. Especially to me. My immediate reaction being “oh god what have I brought into this house?”. Thanks for your input.

I wonder where the line comes for sets like this, at what point do you walk away from the box? Or would it always be worth more as a set complete box even if it legit gave you coronavirus?

6. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Good advice from hardyakkagold.

+1

hitokage likes this.
  7. Silverling

Silverling Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Similar situation myself a couple of years back. I had a set of Masterpieces in Silver from the 90's. The outer cardboard had stuck onto the case and the case was falling to pieces and it looked terrible. However the coins looked great. I ended up selling it here for spot value with the case. I thought, how would these nice coins look separately in plastic zip lock bags in a plastic bag compared to in the crappy case? Then I thought, yeah...nah, better leave it in the crumbling case as at worst it's better than the former option. I don't know how the buyer handled that, he's not around on the forum anymore.

hitokage likes this.