Austrian Ducat 4 (1914) - INFO HELP

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by Scrubs, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Scrubs

Scrubs Active Member

Hey peeps,

I just recently purchased a 1914 Austrian Ducat 4. I was doing my own little research and believe that this is the last year for the original strike?

Dates 1915 are all restrikes?

Can anyone shed some light and give me more information. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also roughly what value would an original ducat 4 have currently?

Cheers,
    xoxo

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Golden ChipMunk likes this.
  2. SteelHand

SteelHand Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Scrubs likes this.
  3. hardyakkagold

hardyakkagold Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yes, according to my Standard Catalog of World Gold Coins, the 1914 was the last year of mintage of the circulating 4 ducat coins,
    with a mintage of 102 thousand pieces for that year.
    As to what it is worth, your guess is as good as mine with the current record gold prices,
    even the restrikes are going for some pretty high prices these days.
    Maybe spot plus about 20 odd percent ($1500-$1600 )?

Scrubs and Revils like this.
  4. Scrubs

Scrubs Active Member

dang, thanks for that link. Was trying to quickly find info and most of it was about the 1915 restrikes haha.

5. Scrubs

Scrubs Active Member

Sweeeet. Thanks hardyakka for your input. I actually purchased it from old mate Andrew Crellin. It was actually listed as a 1915 restrike in the title but had the photos above. That’s why I was so confused. Was quickly trying to find information and gave him a call. Decided to pull the trigger, purchase it and go off the photo, 90% sure 1914 was an original strike year.

Andrew gave me a call back 30 minutes later confirming the coin was the one in the photo and it was the title that was wrong in this instance. Said it was a mistake on his part, and he’s never actually seen an original strike come in, but seen plenty of 1915 restrikes. Said the rim is slightly different in comparison and he should have taken a closer look at the date/coin, and commended me on my pickup. Good little score!