Australian taxes on importing lunars

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand (Public)' started by dccpa, Feb 15, 2019.

1. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Hello everyone, I haven't been active in the last few years. A few days ago, United Airlines made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Less than $600USD for a round trip ticket from Nowhereville, US to Sydney (Mid Nov- early Dec.).

What are the rules on bringing gold and silver coins into the country? I thought there was a thread on this subject, but couldn't locate it. It's been years since I looked, but I have rolls of S2 1oz silver mice, tigers, horses, dragons & snakes. S2 1oz gold lunars Mice-Goat. If it makes a difference, but some lunars were imported to the US by me directly from Ainslie.

I have other AU coins and a lot of non AU coins, but I was just trying to get an idea if some kind of customs tax would kill the deal. Thanks.

Horrie likes this.
  2. bron.suchecki

bron.suchecki Well-Known Member

It shouldn't be an issue with the Australian coins as they are free of sales tax/GST. Other coins need to fit the definition, which is recognised mark/brand and 99.9%+ pure for silver of 99.5%+ for gold, so don't bring in any Eagles or Kruggerands.

To be on the safe side I'd bring any purchase receipts with you, particularly teh Ainslie ones as they will prove no GST was charged when you bought them. If the total market value is over $10,000 might best to declare them on the form. While there is debate whether legal tender coins are reportable at their face value or market value, best to declare.

dccpa, Toad64 and Gresham's Law like this.
  3. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Thanks Bron

4. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

dccpa likes this.
  5. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Thanks. If it is an exempt item as Bron stated, then I would think the $1000 import tax would not apply.

6. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

good luck mate

dccpa likes this.
  7. bron.suchecki

bron.suchecki Well-Known Member

Yep, its not an "import tax" just applying GST. If the item doesn't have GST charged on it, then you won't have to pay, but that does require "luck" as not all customs people may be aware PMs don't have GST.