Australia: The Unlucky Country (Blackswan?)

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by CriticalSilver, Aug 30, 2012.

1. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

For me the choice became a complete no-brainer when I read the Constitutions of the various parties. Probably too long to post here but quite simply between the big two there is a massive difference in their objectives.

The ALP are starting from a point where their role is to redistribute power and wealth and to centrally plan a wide range of things (including equal access to leisure activities would you believe?). We all know that unions are central to ALP, but did you know that they are explicitly central in their Constitution as well. They pop up a number of times including a clause which says that "All Labor MPs must establish dialogue with local union activists in their electorates, including frequent meetings with those union activists who work in their area". Talk about raising the ability of one part of the population to influence Government policy above everyone else.

In contrast, the Liberals Constitution is starting from the basis that everyone should be free and the role of government strictly limited to what is necessary to form a nation and preferably decentralised. Importantly, the Liberals explicitly recognise the benefit of the "three pillars" of good government, while they are not even mentioned by the ALP (and hence there is no reason why the ALP wouldn't get rid of one or two if they happened to find them inconvenient).

As an advocate for Libertarianism I am not 100% in agreement with every clause of the Liberal constitution but it wins hands-down compared to nearly anything in the ALP's. Hence, as per Yippe, the Liberals may not be my first choice if someone else was available but they are a hell of a lot higher up compared to ALP and Green's. [More specifically - if anyone gives a stuff - I have a significant beef with their clause 2.(c) and think that 2.(f) and (h) are worded incorrectly and are unnecessary given their other objectives. Hence I would say that 95% of the Liberal Constitution is in total agreement with Libertarian principles - which makes sense given that was their origin.]

P.S. Obviously, different politicians can hold views (and do things) that are closer aligned to what their Party Constitution says (for example although Swan and Conroy are almost 100% in accordance with the ALP Constitution, Hawke and Keating were very far from being anything close and were probably more Liberal in their actions and didn't give a flying firetruck about what the ALP was supposed to stand for).

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I am saying I don't endorse a lesser of two evils.

Would you be friends with a lesser of two evils?

Would you marry a lesser of two evils?

Would you go into business with a lesser of two evils?

If you did, I'd seriously doubt your self esteem and integrity.

I refuse to be an active and willing participant in endorsing by political will, the lesser of two evils.

Most will see it as a 'wasted' vote and that's their prerogative.

I prefer to 'waste' my vote with a vote of no confidence in the establishment.

ie I will get my name marked off and submit a blank ballot. Even then, I will only do that because I am threatened that if I don't turn up to participate in the scam of a two party preferred 'elected dictatorship' ruse, I will be fined.

You have to wake up and appreciate what our political system really is and who they represent. You only have an illusion of choice in your robber barons YKY, they do so in order to feed the illusion to the masses that YOU are really in charge and placate you.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5W4wULmv9c[/youtube] [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40EWX6TXgH4[/youtube]

Your 'choice' is only in who robs you by what banner they wave and by what means they do it.

PS - Don't you just love the euphemistic language used in the modern world? 'Two party preferred'.... is basically 'elected dictatorship' in a two horse (one political entity) race - but you get to choose which dictator smiles for the camera!

3. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

I dont recognise the status quo system that we have and where i feel that there are injustices i will resist them where i can. or at least i will do all i can to highlight said injustices on every forum possible.

I've been quite vocal in my condemnation of John Howard for what i regard as his flagrant disregard for civil liberties. But that still does not make me blind to the fact that the Libs are a better choice of government any day of the week than the bunch of goons we have in now.

And it most certainly does not mean that i am "joining" the Libs ... in fact i will continue to preference any liberatarian party i can above the Libs whenever i get the opportunity to exercise a choice. The fact that Australians seem to be incapable/too dumb to create a unified Libertarian party is not my fault.

AMEN

4. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

My experience is that libertarians are only slightly more common than eskimoes in Australia.

Australia is always a 5-10 years behind the rest of the world. There were few libertarians anywhere 10 years ago.

Thank god for the internet!

5. bordsilver

bordsilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Definitely. Else I only have two other people to rant about the gubbmint to. (Well actually, 2 others who would actually listen and respond with their own rant rather than nodding along politely until I leave their office :lol: )

6. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

Here's a prediction.

When things start going wrong in Australia economically and we start facing the same issues that most of the rest of the world have been facing for the last few years, we will expand our numbers. At some point, a politician will come along who declares themselves a liberatarian to try and take advantage of this new, albeit still relatively small group, in Australia. Then we'll all be having arguments on here as to if they are worth voting for or not. :)

7. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Anyone who says that there is no difference between a Liberal government and a Labor government clearly has never run a small business.

8. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

9. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Womens lib politics aside, IMHO, GST is the fairest way to tax.

GST = Tax on spending = incentive to work hard, save, and enjoy the fruits of your labour.
    Income tax = Tax on earning = no incentive to work, cause it gets ripped out of your hands before you even see it. Good if you are a welfare recipient though.

10. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

good post. you seem to have lost the plot a bit lately though, so hopefully this will be the beginnings of a recovery for you ;)

11. boyracer

boyracer Member

12. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

Really?? How do you figure that?

I'd have to say that our government's head is even deeper up Uncle Sam's arse than Howards was so i think you're talking tripe.

13. boyracer

boyracer Member

I blame Labour for not pulling out of the war. I reserve most of the blame for the Libs for getting us into the war in the first place.

How can you not blame Howard for that is beyond me.

14. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

I dont specifically blame Howard as such because Rudd/Gillard or any other ALP prime minister would have done EXACTLY the same thing had they been in office at the time. So it's really a mute point.

15. boyracer

boyracer Member

grammar correction: moot point

For the record Rudd was against invading Iraq. Also Latham was not exactly a US sycophant.

Still your logic is a fail - you know for a fact a Labour government would have supported invading two countries? Besides which that is irrelevant. Libs were in power and they are therefore responsible. The wars are a failure and have cost us a massive pile of money to boot. That is factual.

16. nonrecourse

nonrecourse Well-Known Member

The solution is you have a flat 10% income tax and company tax no write off's for anything be it your a billion dollar company or a wage slave. You also have a 10% consumption tax on everything again no exemptions. But.... It would need to be legislated that it is an automatic 10 year jail term for the Prime minister and the Cabinet if they run a deficit. In fact it should be manditory that a 5% surplus accumulated each year that only could be used for severe financial downturns like we are presently experencing.

Of course our two faced pollies wouldn't want it because you would close down most of the silly service and the accountants would then be redeployed to manage the boom this country would experience.

The crap about reform that spews from both sides I am over. There is no reform just a con to bleed the productive dry.

And yes I'd be happy to give away negative gearing under those parameters.

Kind Regards
    non recourse

17. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

mate your grammar is a lot better than your logic.
    Both major parties are bitches to the US... no two ways about it. Accept it and move on

18. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

Julia hasn't got a medal yet from the President.. Iron man John Howard did and I guess the real iron man surfer Tony will surely get one..I wouldn't be surprised if Julia gets one too. :(

Regards Errol 43

19. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Good thread and thanks to all for the posts.....

20. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for your encouragement Yippe.
    Although, just cause I like to challenge the permabull status quoe every now and then, it does not constitute me having lost the plot. :)
    I like to consider all things from all perspectives, then make up my own mind.