Australia: The Unlucky Country (Blackswan?)

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by CriticalSilver, Aug 30, 2012.

1. CriticalSilver

CriticalSilver New Member Silver Stacker

2. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

It will never happen here ... :lol:

3. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

No need to worry. Govt will just raise taxes to create jobs for everyone. That's what govt does, right?

4. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Maybe our manufacturing will pick up once our dollar plummets....

5. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's "different" here.

6. jparrie

jparrie Member

You can just see what's around the corner can't you? Labor's donkeys will get their backsides kicked out of office, then the poor old Libs will have to, once again, try to clean up the almighty mess they inherit and in the process cop a hiding from the electorate for all the tough policies they have to implement because unfortunately, most of the electorate have short memories and are somewhat mentally challenged.

7. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

For a big problem you need a big government to fix it!

8. boyracer

boyracer Member

Load of twaddle that is. Labor & Liberal are as bad as each other just for different reasons. The Libs were not the great economic managers they made themselves out to be. They were just lucky to be in the right place at the right time.

9. tozak

tozak Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So in the event that the Global economy picks up and saves our mining sector then this is Bullish for Gold/Silver. Should things go the other way and everything goes down the drain and the Aussie dollar looses heaps of value this is Bullish for Gold/Silver in Australian Dollars. So............ best keep stacking then!

10. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Having been brought up in a fiercley labor household, and having been a political observer since the early 1970's.

I feel somewhat qualified, through experience, to state that in my opine the liberals are much better economic managers than labor.

11. boyracer

boyracer Member

Quite possibly although it is obviously hard to compare. Howard was PM during a global credit boom. Rdd/Gillard were/are PM during a gobal credit bust. I reckon the Libs would be floundering pretty bad in the current environment. Sure they might not be doing the stupid thing Labor is doing but I'd bet they'd be doing different stupid things. Like maybe invading other countries.

My main point is that being a bit better than shite is not "good".

12. Shaddam IV

Howard did not throw money into the abyss with stupid schemes one after the other. A nice list of them here:

http://www.electionnow.com.au/?cat=6

Howard wouldn't have touched Pink Batts and Set Top Boxes and Grocery Watch, he wasn't an idiot.

13. jparrie

jparrie Member

Well boy racer, I'm not sure how old you are, (boyracer gives me a clue), but I've seen enough of Labor politics to know that without exception, they on the whole manage to f*ck things up more often than not. All they know is spend, spend, spend, tax, tax, tax. That's it. How many schemes have the current bunch of muppets in Aus tried to introduce that have been complete, utter failures? Every single one.

Its funny how you think that the successes of former Liberal (Conservative) governments around the world have all been down to 'luck', while poor old Labor has only been in power during tough times. You are delusional, poor lad.

14. jparrie

jparrie Member

Jonesy, you may not know that a similar scheme has been operational in the UK for going on 3 decades now with no problems at all. So the scheme itself isn't a problem, but the way it is implemented is.

The problem is Labor, they just can't run anything competently and have demonstrated it over and over again.

15. hem9

hem9 Active Member Silver Stacker

What's your choice then? If my choice is shite or a bit better than shite then it is obvious what the choice is of anybody wo has a mind.

16. TheEnd

TheEnd Well-Known Member

Hmmm o.k my parents have always been Lib voters..... I gave Julie G a try but I think I've changed my mind after reading some of the more expeirienced comments.

17. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Oh, come on people. We're all smart enough to know it's the luck of the draw whether one side has some particularly smart economic types on board at any given moment in time.

The Liberals aren't going to be "good economic managers" until they find some people who know how to add up properly. Labor is going to battle to keep their budgets under control after committing to spending so much (even if it is on worthy causes like Denticare).

18. Shaddam IV

One side is run by ultra corrupt self-serving trade unionists and is a poodle to big corporations. The other side is only a poodle to big corporations.

19. Dogmatix

Dogmatix Active Member

I agree with you - except that either side taking on a non-Keynesian economic type is extremely remote IMO.

So round and round we go...

20. boyracer

boyracer Member

Well not sure what my age has to do with it but you'd be wrong to make an assumption using my name. It is an in joke for myself that I've been using for a lot of years. I've been around long enough to not be described as a lad anymore. Please debate the issues instead of trying to win the argument by making (incorrect) allusions to my age.

You make the mistake of only considering economic issues. Howard and his cronies got us involved in a war on false pretences. He used immigration and fear of terrorism to get himself reelected.

I am in no way defending the current labour govt. They had an amazing oppportunity in 2007 to do some good work and have so far spectacularly failed in plenty of ways. I count the days till Gillard is gone. The issue of course is who do you replace them with. My preference is a caretaker govt that can enact no policies for a few years. Let the country get on with it in their absence. Pipe dream I know.

I take issue with you painting the liberals as some kind of hard done by pollies that never get credit for all the good work they do. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Howard was extremely lucky in his term as PM in regards the economic climate. His decision to follow the US to war in 2 countries is probably the worst decision of any PM in this country in decades in my opinion.

As far as the success of conservative governments around the world - look at the US. Both sides have been screwing that country over for years. What are these successes you talk of?