Australia post update on Coronavirus issue .

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by lucy43, Mar 17, 2020.

1. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sent platinum Monday for delivery Tuesday.

Delivered today.

madaw1, 66rounds and ozcopper like this.
  2. slavaja

slavaja Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I would be asking for a refund.

66rounds likes this.
  3. hardyakkagold

hardyakkagold Member

Had similar outcome from the Gold Coast to Melbourne with some gold coins recently.
    It seems that they are not guaranteeing next day delivery any more with platinum express.
    If that is so, then why are they even offering this service at the present time,
    you are just paying extra money for nothing!

4. Silverman99

Silverman99 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi team

A random question re Auspost as I had a package posted on Monday from Sydney being sent to me here in NZ and hasn’t moved for the past couple of days

I appreciate there is currently a backlog but does anyone know if these guys will continue working over the easter break sorting mail to get it moved to be shipped

All comments welcome
    Thanks

5. Soprano16

Soprano16 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

From what I understand most packages are not being scanned at every checkpoint like they normally are, so when you check your tracking number you will see when it was received, but then you won't see an update until the day it's on it's way/delivered

I'm not sure why so many people are kicking up a fuss to be honest. It's pretty obvious that with everything going on the demand for postal service has increased big time, and in turn that slows down deliveries

I'm waiting on a few things that have certainly taken longer than usual, but I understand what is going on and am completely fine with it

6. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

This may be relevant:

EEF0348A-498D-40AB-A65E-481D0D698E0F.jpeg

7. Silverman99

Thanks for the update and not the news I was wanting but that raises the question why would they then accept a package to be sent offshore

Disappointing to say the least

mmm....shiney! likes this.
  8. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have ordered some things from Europe (Austria) I have doubts that they will get here within 6 weeks, I think that a lot of items above a certain size will probably end up going surface mail. If there is a huge backlog I think that a lot of items may never make it at all to be honest, I think that overseas shipping by mail is basically over for the rest of the year, if you need something shipped internationally it would need to be with a company that has their own planes and don't depend on passenger aircraft holds. At the peak of the outbreak in China last month we still got DHL packages in 4 days from Guangzhou but it was an expensive service and DHL have their own aircraft.

I am curious thought about freight between Australia and New Zealand, because of the distance and relatively small quantities between the two countries maybe freight between the two might be not too disrupted.

9. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

https://www.traveller.com.au/airlin...cargo-as-coronavirus-restrictions-bite-h1n6vl

Airlines using passenger planes to fly cargo as coronavirus restrictions bite

[​IMG]
    Craig Platt

[​IMG]
    Aer Lingus is one of several airlines filling its empty seats in the passenger cabin with cargo.

What do you do with your planes when you have no passengers to fill the seats? Fill them with cargo instead.

As travel restrictions bite airlines around the world in an effort to contain the spread of coronavirus, some carriers have opted to use the empty space in their passenger cabins by filing them with cargo.

Most airlines with freighter aircraft are continuing to fly them around the world, but some airlines only have passenger aircraft in their fleets. These airlines still typically fly some cargo in the hold of their jets in addition to passenger baggage.

[​IMG]
    An Austrian Airlines passenger cabin filled with cargo.
    And while several airlines, including Qantas, have started using passenger planes to make cargo-only flights, a handful have gone a step further and started filling their passenger cabins with freight.

Ireland's national carrier, Aer Lingus, on Sunday tweeted an image of an Airbus A330 on its return from China, with its economy class seats stuffed with cargo bags. Similarly,Germany's biggest airline Lufthansa and its subsidiary Austrian Airlines have also been using passenger cabins for freight.

The International Air Transport Association (IATA) issued guidance for airlines on how to safely transport cargo in passenger cabins last week. The IATA said no dangerous goods or live animals should be transported in the cabins and that normal weight limits for seats and stowage should be applied.

The IATA said demand for cargo slumped 9.1 per cent (seasonally adjusted) in February compared with January. As travel restrictions were implemented around the world, airlines faced delays on getting permission to fly shipments, which created bottlenecks, according to the IATA. In addition, the huge drop in passenger flights also reduced available cargo capacity.

As a result, global supply chains have struggled to deliver vital supplies and equipment needed to fight the COVID-19 virus.

"It is critical for governments to remove any blockers as the industry does all it can to keep the global air cargo network functioning in the crisis and ready for the recovery," said Alexandre de Juniac, IATA's director general and CEO.

On Saturday, five Cathay Pacfic Boeing 777 passenger planes arrived in Brisbane with only cargo on board. The five jets were carrying more than 700 cubic metres of medical supplies, including protective gear for healthcare workers. The supplies are expected to be distributed nationally in the coming days.

In the US, American Airlines made its first cargo-only flight in 34 years last month, flying medical supplies between the US and Europe, while United Airlines has also started using its larger passenger planes to transport medical supplies.

According to IATA figures, air cargo delivers $US6 trillion ($A9.9 trillion) worth of goods annually, including 328 billion letters and 7.4 billion postal packages.
    [​IMG]
    Five Cathay Pacific planes arrived in Brisbane on Saturday carrying medical supplies.

Shaddam IV, Silverman99 and madaw1 like this.
  10. oziwassabi

oziwassabi Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My updated experience above.
    I also have a delivery sent by DHL from Cincinnati USA on Tues 07.04 has already arrived in Sydney and due for delivery by 2359 today..

Shaddam IV and Silverman99 like this.
  11. Silverman99

Thanks for all info

I know that Air New Zealand are currently operating passenger flights three days a week between AKL and SYD plus DHL operating their cargo only 767 freighter six days a week over the same route so surely these aircraft are carrying mail as well provided Auspost actually sort the parcels and send them out

Just my thoughts

Holdfast, oziwassabi and Shaddam IV like this.
  12. Silverman99

Happened to have checked the Auspost tracking number this morning and have a surprised update

It's on its way
    Most recent update
    International departure - enroute to New Zealand

SYDNEY NSW

Date & timeFri 10 Apr • 5:09am

Best Easter news I’ve had so far

Thanks team

oziwassabi and mmm....shiney! like this.
  13. Silverman99

NZ coming out of lockdown and possible scenarios which go with the level being lowered. Makes for some interesting reading if you have the time

Covid-19; From Jail to Whack-A-Mole

By implementing lockdown (or Alert Level 4) the government has hoped that the virus will run out of feedstock. The latest move to quarantine the border supports pursuing that goal. In large part the New Zealand community will have no immunity so we would be a sitting duck should Covid-19 somehow rekindle. We now wait for the enemy’s next step – will it be choked to death, will it escape back into our population, will a vaccine and anti-viral arrive in time to keep it at bay, or will it mutate to something worse and we start again?

Clearly the answer is unknown and so the prudent or precautionary strategy is one whereby we assume we’ve knocked it back but we haven’t killed it, that we can’t stay in lockup because the economic, social and public health consequences of that extreme mean it was only ever have a stopgap,

So out we come – into some version of Alert Level 3.

We have to assume the virus is not gone so the next iteration of our defence is to implement a whack-a-mole tactic – everywhere it pops up we isolate whoever its feeding on and whoever they’ve been associating with since they became infectious. Sounds like a video game, and in many ways it is. Consider how it works in China now;

Walk into a café in Beijing and your temperature is taken, you leave the barista your contact information and the Track-and-Trace app on your phone (which by law you must have on you) displays a certification that proves you have not been to any “hotspots” recently. Tick the boxes and you’re safe to sit and sip. Welcome to the future.

South Korea is much the same. In both countries surveillance via face recognition is ubiquitous and AI instantly provides a track of your movements. Your phone, arguably your dearest possession, is also dear to the government for the information it keeps on you.

Countries without this level of intelligence gathering will be on the backfoot should Covid-19 refuse to surrender and go subversive. Its insurgency will nevertheless be just as lethal in taking out the citizenry one-by-one.

Where then does New Zealand sit on the spectrum of effective weaponry to combat an enemy of this nature?

We certainly don’t have the tech in place so our version is more likely to be a voluntary regime where retail establishments ask nicely for people to leave their details at the door and stay away if they feel they might be a risk to others. We might progress to phone apps that use Bluetooth to let you know if there’s a risk nearby – in the form of someone who has voluntarily declared they’re infectious – and maybe our health service might load up some data on where the current clusters are so you can take a diversion.

All-in-all we’ll be using a pop-gun or pallid facsimile of the nuclear arsenal that the South Koreas and Chinas of this world can unleash. And as for the US – presumably it’ll have the National Guard out policing State lines or something equally ridiculous.

My point is we’d better hope that Covid-19 just fades away of its own accord as our capacity to implement an effective Whack-a-Mole strategy not at all obvious. And we’ll be firing our pop guns while GDP (ie; your income) is reeling from the impact of all these restrictions.

Of course you could always chose to voluntarily continue you lock-down, retreat behind the shutters and make up your own mind when the coast is clear. Nobody is forcing you out to mix-and-mingle. But then you need to eat – so the choices we all face are so different.

We all hope it will just fade, the most naïve expect the government to just “solve it”, while the rational map out their own strategy. Time to make your choices, place your bets.

14. slavaja

Zzz my first lost parcel as a seller.... Hope they find it.

15. silverhair

silverhair Well-Known Member

They sure are a bit slower but mostly get the job done.

16. slavaja

Nah it's lost the buyer msged me saying it's under investigation. Posted from Melbourne to Sydney on the 31st of March.

17. silverhair

silverhair Well-Known Member

I had a 1oz gold coin go missing a few months back, which i posted on here about. After kicking up a massive stink with AP including leaving negative feedback online via google reviews for that branch ( calling one of their delivery drivers a thieving POS), it mysteriously turned up.

it was listed as delivered and all....then 3 or 4 weeks later it was at the front door waiting one morning.

And yes I changed my review after that in light of it appearing

Silverling likes this.
  18. hardyakkagold

hardyakkagold Member

Dont give up hope just yet slavaja, it might still turn up.
    I had a gold coin go missing for over a month last year with Australia Post.
    Sent it to one of my regular buyers in Albany WA, after being scanned at my local PO, it seemed to have disappeared into the Bermuda triangle.
    I reported it missing and got the investigation started after the buyer informed me that he did not receive it a couple of weeks later.
    Had no updates from Aust Post at all, and after a couple more weeks I had resigned myself to the fact it was stolen.
    I was getting ready to issue the buyer a refund, when he informed me that it had finally turned up.
    No information or explanation from Aust Post as to what happened to it for over a month that it was missing.

silverhair and Silverling like this.
  19. Silver Soul

Silver Soul Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Had a letter posted from Melbourne to Perth! Took almost 1 month to get here o_O

Silverling likes this.
  20. Silverling

Silverling Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I agree with hardyakkagold that it might still turn up. I had one item take 22 days to go from Sydney to Mildura. The parcel went to Queensland 3 times before it ended up at the guys home. I had to call Aust Post 3 times to get them to do an intervention before it got there. 20 days is long but not super long, I had another that went missing for 4 weeks. Then when I sent a new registered replacement the original turned up. Luckily the customer returned the first item, good luck.