Australia day Brainwashing

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Golightly, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Leaving the whole invasion day thing alone

Has anyone else noticed the militarization of Australia day? is it all a lead in to the vomit inducing Anzac orgy we have coming up this year?
    Why is Australia day about Military band marches, Gun salutes, Jet flyovers. The newspaper ran a 3rd page story all about 'brave solders'
    the TV news is wall to wall uniforms and pomposity.

Is it to make us feel less squeamish around the brave murderers by ingraining the military as part of the Australian genetic?

2. HateFiat

HateFiat New Member

Meh. At least its only Australia day that is being militarized. Now, if it was the police force being militarized like it is/has been in America...that would have me worried.

3. smk762

smk762 Active Member Silver Stacker

Nationalism, a precursor to fascism.

4. Agnostic

Agnostic Active Member Silver Stacker

Yes I had noticed it heading more that way, and it bothers me.

I used to always proudly stand and sing the national anthem, but feel much less inclined to these days.

Actually it was God Save the Queen followed by the Lord's Prayer in school.

Hmmmm.

Songs, flags, marches, slogans...all useful to convince people they are part of a common cause.

A cause that can be directed for the benefit of those in charge.

5. Ghost

Ghost Member

So what exactly is your problem with our troops...?

One of them shag your missus...?

6. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Our? They are not my troops. I don't have any fiscal interest in gas pipelines, rebuilding contracts or the arms trade.
    That is what your troops fight for.
    The only time they have ever fought for Australia was a couple dozen blokes In Darwin 60 odd years ago. other than that it's for the interests of the 1% and trumped up through the media they own.

But that's just my thoughts,
    some people prefer to wave flags at ships

7. silver kook

silver kook Active Member

They also gave Sir Chief Air Marshall Angus Houston a Knighthood. They said his main achievements were leading the search for the missing Malaysian plane. Imagine what they would have given him if he actually succeeded! Surely we have other Australians worthy of being Knighted other than career military guys. And I don't mean Prince Phillip either.

8. CFP

CFP New Member

Where were you when I swore my oath of enlistment?
    Your grandstanding would have very entertaining at the time.

9. CFP

CFP New Member

Guys did you ever think that it was the 100th anniversary of Galipoli this year so perhaps, just maybe there is a little more pomp and ceremony than usual?

10. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

11. CFP

CFP New Member

hahaha Will, whatever, I volunteered and then when I'd had enough and I had fulfilled my service obligation I discharged of my own request.
    But your statement does bring up a good point, the way a lot of current day veterans are treated in this country leaves a lot to be desired and I am not
    speaking about myself here.

12. CFP

CFP New Member

Some of them have better assault rifles than most the military!

13. HateFiat

HateFiat New Member

Yeah, that's concerning!

14. CFP

CFP New Member

Whats more concerning is the number of shots taken to kill that idiot in the lindt cafe plus all those wounded people. They should have sent tag east in, would have been a lot cleaner. Still I get people will say oh you cant use our military on Australian soil etc but why have them if you arent going to use them?

15. southerncross

southerncross Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You strike me as yet another self entitled, narcissistic little snot who has not a clue what it is or means to serve ones country.

"brave murderers" just W.T.F does that mean ?
    I have no problems at all with you taking a swipe at at the politics of Australia Day, even the subtle little invasion day snarky comment.

But to sit at your keyboard and run down the type of people who are willing to put their lives on the line for the likes of you to have and
    express your opinion is a little too much to read without making comment.

You obviously have no knowledge of the dedication and hard work that is involved with becoming a member of the armed forces, and likewise the
    sacrifices made by their loved ones such as children, partners, parents, siblings etc while they are away on duty protecting your right to be an asshole
    while comfortable at home in front of your keyboard and calling them brave murderers.

You obviously have no idea or appreciation of what it is like to be separated from your loved ones, children, friends and family while serving your country and
    putting your life on the line on a daily basis thousands of kilometers away from home.

You definitely have no idea of what it is like to have some Jihadist idealist to be shooting at you and your comrades and trying to kill you, while protecting the right of some
    narcissistic little shit in front of a keyboard in Australia to provide their opinion to the world on an internet forum.

Maybe next time you start punching some keys you might spare a thought for those who are tasked with protecting this country and have done so in the past, have fought and died
    so that you have the right to be an offensive little prick if you so feel.

16. tolly_67

tolly_67 Well-Known Member

"You definitely have no idea of what it is like to have some Jihadist idealist to be shooting at you and your comrades and trying to kill you, while protecting the right of some
    narcissistic little shit in front of a keyboard in Australia to provide their opinion to the world on an internet forum."

Perhaps if they weren't an unwelcome guest in the Jihadist country then nobody would want to shoot them.

17. smk762

smk762 Active Member Silver Stacker

Not fair to blame the troops for the situations our elected officials put them in. By extension we should all share the guilt as democratic citizens for not stopping deployment in the first place. We are just pawns in the game, and many troopers would not be aware of the BS they've been fed until they've served their time (that's why recruiters like em young). Best not to have second thoughts about the validity of your actions when the bullets start flying.

The Gallipoli anniversary should belong to Anzac day, but I can see how they would justify it being promoted on our nationalist holiday. Kids not in military families generally don't go to the dawn service, but will see and admire troops on Australia day. The way things are going we'll need eager recruits as they come of age. My enlistment essay about a decade ago cited patriotism as a factor in my decision, though my philosophy has evolved since then. Fortunately I was offered an alternative opportunity before the process finished. Many prospective recruits have limited options, and free rent, food and skills training while saving for an education are a superior choice compared to welfare or minimum wage slavery in a unfavourable labour market.

I'll always have a high level of respect for those that served, even if I abhor how they have been used and despise those who gain votes from sending them out under false pretenses. I'll always also be wary of the ceremonial use of military assets in the civilian arena as I perceive it to be glorification of a job that often ends up not being what people signed up for.

18. southerncross

So are you assuming that the Iraqi crowds cheering the pulling down of Saddam's statue in the gulf war were protesting the western troops doing it?
    The children and women going to school and getting an education in Afghanistan didn't really want western troops there either ?

Or is it a case of our troops invading a middle east idyllic paradise of kumbaya proportions and the likes of Malala Yousafzai just have things all wrong ?

So what ? do we just let them sort it all out themselves and sit at home twaddling our dicks and thumbs until it arrives on our home ground and then complain about why things weren't done sooner?

All the above of course is a side track, Our troops still deserve better than the above depiction by Golightly.

19. tolly_67

tolly_67 Well-Known Member

Pawns in a game.
    Invading Turkey...
    Invading Vietnam....
    Invading just about every country in the Middle East...
    The blame is on us for allowing our governments to treat our "defence" force as an extension of their political beliefs. The politicians fail to see that they are actually our servants but they assume the mantle of royalty as soon as they are in power and waste the lives of young men in pointless campaigns.

20. southerncross

So your quite comfortable with the concentration camps of WW2 ? The troops then were just pawns as well ?