Australia Becoming a Police State

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by willrocks, Oct 11, 2019.

1. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Well-Known Member

Not as big as the alternative disaster.

Ag bullet likes this.
  2. milled

milled Active Member

Depends where you are. If they do, which is most of the time from what I've seen, they carry a handgun. Never seen a long gun or shotty in everyday police in Australia. Most places they have tasers and may have pepper spray. In Western Australia, it is legal for citizens to buy pepper spray still I think, but elsewhere mostly not. You can't get yourself a taser either.

3. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's illegal to have ANY weapon for self-defense in Australia. Even bullet proof vests are illegal.

Pepper spray and mace are classified as prohibited weapons by Australian laws. Western Australia is the only exception where these are considered as controlled weapons. That means pepper spray is legal in Western Australia but it is restricted.

The maximum penalty for possession or use of a prohibited weapon in NSW is 14 years imprisonment.

4. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There's a strangely funny aspect of what is considered is a weapon. I can't buy legally, have on my person or in my car an extending night stick (similar to that used by the police), but but yea oldie "Club Steering Lock"...(if you owned a car in the 80's chances are you had one) and that solid piece of iron was always within arms reach in the car. Also, totally legal to carry a 3 foot breaker bar in the car.

I'd rather go up against someone with a can of pepper spray / mace than old mate swinging an iron bar.

5. dozerz

dozerz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

same reason a 4 d cell mag light is the torch of choice for security persons.

66rounds, Oddjob and willrocks like this.
  6. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

That's actually terrible advice, "shoot for the knees". Apparently you have no idea of proper police training. If the situation calls for "lethal force" (firing a gun at someone), you shoot for center body mass. Screwing around and trying to shoot a person's kneecap who is coming at you with a knife is risking your life.

I don't know about the two specific instances you mentioned above, but if someone is close and advancing with a lethal weapon (not a butter knife) I doubt you will be shooting for the kneecaps.

Cops are not necessarily expert marksmen. They receive basic training about weapons, not trick shots shooting knee caps while under duress of attack at a moving target.

Further, shooting at the knees in a life or death situation makes it possible for a later determination that you really didn't need to draw a gun and shoot to begin with (lethal force not necessary).

If someone is coming at your with an ax with ill intent to cause you harm, why not just ask them to put it down? That is the nicest way to do it. Or, perhaps (for a civilian) carry a very low caliber weapon like a .22 LR pistol and your assailant will have a better chance at survival, even if it means they get to you and stab you after you shoot them because you are trying to be nice.

That's completely insane! I know your Gov banned guns because of a couple of mass shootings, but what justification can they give for banning pepper spray, tasers, or a baton? Is someone going to commit mass murder with pepper spray or a taser?

This is my opinion, but it appears that your Gov simply wants everyone to be and accept that they are helpless sheep. Perhaps a mental thing like how they regularly strip search inmates at prison- not just to find contraband but to show the prisoner how defenseless he/she is in their custody.

There is no rational basis for banning pepper spray or tasers, etc, among the adult population. I'm surprised they allow Karate studios in Oz, or do they even allow that?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    Oddjob and willrocks like this.
  7. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member

Our cops carry the usual but we have forestry and wildlife officers and they look like they are going into combat.
    Body armor and the sidearm with an m4 and a shotgun in the truck all tacticooled out.
    The squirrels and chipmunks must pose a huge threat!

8. Jim4silver

I don't know about where you live, but in states like California they have much illicit weed growing in national forests, etc, (mostly by cartel growers) and those folks often have AKs and ARs to protect themselves when they are "gardening".

9. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I tend to agree with comedian Jim Jeffries (his comedy routine on guns is on youtube), in that as a society we have to accommodate the "slow movers".

Whilst I support the concept of self defence weaponry, considering the socially and mentally challenged ratbags around the place, allowing them to settle their differences with guns and knives is a scary scenario. The laws don't slow down the criminals, but your average Saturday night biffo lout gets into enough trouble with beer glasses, let alone giving these losers the option of nun chuks and sawn off shotguns.

So reluctantly, I support the disarming of the population, and my "walking stick", "nail file", "torch" and the ex's mason's trowel in the footwell are just that!

10. JohnnyBravo300

Yeah that's what I always hear too but these guys arent Rambo by any means haha. Plus they spot that stuff by air, not from their trucks.
    The growers dont grow where they may accidentally be driven upon by forestry and are well hidden.
    Plus the fact that it's legal to grow now and no reason to hide.

11. Jim4silver

Not every grow is legal. Specific rules to follow to be legal.

Here's proof of what I said.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/30/us/california-illegal-marijuana-federal-lands/index.html

Not only California but the lovely state of Colorado forests as well.

https://durangoherald.com/articles/219917

12. milled

milled Active Member

As I said, mostly outside of WA it can't be lawfully owned or carried.

It is a few years ago since looking, but at the time you could purchase pepper spray in WA. As you say, if it is used, then from what is published in the media, you would need "reasonable grounds" to be carrying it. That does not exclude self defence, but the legal test would need to be "reasonable grounds". This would be on the balance of probabilities and up to the magistrate to determine if charges arose from possession. There is probably case law to help guide the outcome. However, just carrying it as one may do overseas "just in case" would not seem to be reasonable, as there is no clear threat. However, perhaps if you had to leave a secure situation and enter one which is clearly not to anyone, then the ground to carry may be firmer. Or let's say your home is invaded. That seems quite reasonable.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-07...-where-its-legal-to-have-pepper-spray/9932644

The Tasmanian law on it does not prohibit it either, per that article, but the reason for carrying it must be lawful. That may include "collection, display or exhibition". It does not include self defence. Please note, this only applies to "public places". It may be possible therefore to have it at home, but you'd have to look further into the law for that.
    http://www8.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/viewdoc/au/legis/tas/consol_act/poa1935140/s15c.html

13. JohnnyBravo300

There have been some big busts and I'd hate to be out far from any backup and under armed that's for sure. It just looks funny when you see them checking fuelwood and dirt bike permits and dressed like a swat team hehe.

66rounds likes this.
  14. JohnnyBravo300

Are there bears? What about bear spray? Say it's for the roos or the wild dogs?

milled likes this.
  15. willrocks

More leftist, politically motivated laws passed to stop people climbing Ayers Rock (or Uluru).

"Traditional owners wanted the climb closed because of Uluru's cultural significance and concerns about safety and the environment."
    • Cultural significance - In the 1960s and 1970s the Aboriginal people had no objection to climbing the rock themselves and allowing others to climb the rock. This seems to indicate concerns are not tradition or culture, but something much more modern, like leftist ideology.
    • Safety - Only ~37 people have died in 55 years. 37 out of millions of people who've climbed.
    • Environment - Rubbish and excrement.
    So the only real concerns might be rubbish, and asserting a modern leftist policy.

With effective management, environmental concerns could be nullified.

Watch from 2:44 (link)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    66rounds likes this.
  16. milled

milled Active Member

17. willrocks

Non-genuine satire of Government = 5 year jail time

18. 66rounds

66rounds Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

And look where he is now...in the trash bin where he belongs. You really think Fraser Anning has the brain cells to be in Government?

JulieW likes this.
  19. milled

milled Active Member

Have you read any of his writings in Parliament?

20. milled

milled Active Member

he had very little time or money to get a campaign going, had the entire media against him and was sanctioned in Parliament

his party got 3-4% of the vote consistently where he had candidates

he was the only MP who explicitly wanted to roll back immigration to prevent the inevitable consequences of mass immigration