Atlas Shrugged Coins

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by Dynoman, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

Well I think this is a real special for our Australian Prime Minister or is that Golds Precious Metal or AUS Precious Metals ? Frikk ! anyway I like these coins. Slight pity they're the red variety. Well they go nice with Julia's hair don't you think ? :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

eBay item: 330529874248

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I actually have some of these and they tarnish very quickly to a dull brown.

Naturally, the design is highly appealing to people like myself, but I wouldn't stack them as a core.

They're priced as a premium collectors round rather than based on their metal value.

With copper @ $4.20 US per POUND at this moment & 1 pound = 14.5833333 troy ounces...

That makes these rounds priced at about 1500% over spot going on the Ebay listing above.

ie The base metal value @ spot is only 29 cents US per ounce.

The silver version of this round is generally priced more competitively, but even then they have a collectable premium on them.

If you're interested in these rounds for their theme, I'd definitely grab a few for laughs. Just don't assume the base metal value will carry it down the road. ;)

3. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

Actually I was discussing with a friend yesterday that when you take into consideration the cost of producing coins or medallions then match them against the spot price there's not too much fat for the Mint. Say around 20% or so. Makes physical look like the bargain when you take that into account. I really like the coin holder for these medallions, very robust design.