atkinsons the jewellers now atkinsons bullion with huge price hike

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by scotland, Oct 7, 2013.

1. scotland

scotland New Member

just over the last few days one of the best dealers in the uk for bullion has now got a new web site and slight name change i.e from atkinsonsthejewellers.com to atkinsonsbullion.com
    so whats in a name ???? a huge price hike... i cant believe the price change and had to have a few looks,
    here are some examples
    2013 UK 1oz Silver Britannia 29.56
    2013 Mexican Libertad 1oz Silver 30.90
    2014 Australian 1oz Horse Silver Coin 39.58 wow
    2013 USA 1oz Silver Eagle 30.76
    2013 Australian 1oz Silver Lunar Snake 46.73

price is in pound sterling with vat with free postage

silver bars are up in price
    Johnson Matthey 1oz Silver Bar 26.71 each

i think its time to move on to another dealer

2. dune

dune New Member

Saw the new site today.. not impressed with the price hikes

not free shipping.. The shipping is included in the price. Free means something for nothing. Not just moving the figures

Used to do most of my bulk buying from atkinsons

Think i'll be looking elsewhere

3. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

That is 3 of us now that will not be buying from them.
    :/

4. alexbecks

alexbecks Member

Not a smart move to include shipping in coin price.
    If you buy 1 coin is the same, and most naive people think they got something free too.
    But if you buy several coins, you are going to pay shipping cost several times, for one combined shipping service.
    That's why I like to always see shipping cost separated from coin price.
    Alex.

5. Photonaware

Looks as if they decided to follow the same format as BullionbyPost who also advertise on television these days.
    Both show the same misleading headline prices.
    For example - gold full sovereign from 205 only to find you need to order 1,000 to get this price and for a few coins you will pay >10% more.
    Not impressed !

6. hobwell

hobwell New Member

Urgh this is just outrageous :-( I hope Chards don't follow suite.

7. woody96

woody96 New Member

I've been using Atkinson's for a while now, purely down to price, they seem to have priced out the small order clients like me to concentrate on the larger volume clients. Looks like I need a new supplier, any suggestions?

8. RJM

RJM New Member

My first post , Ive been a lurker lol, and they have lost another good customer with me too . Those new prices are a joke and I hope they pay for their greed by losing a lot of their customer base . I use Bairds a lot too and they are a great company to deal with , ive never had any problems and they sell gold cons at prices similar to the old Atkinson ones . They dont have much variety in silver but the prices are good , I suppose I will have to use bullionuk for my silver in future unless anyone can suggest a better dealer.

9. dune

dune New Member

I noticed that their customer review has changed

They touted that all reviews would be listed and before the change their reviews were 4/5 which i guess was about right

Then after the price change they removed the reviews and now they just have selected reviews.. Just 1 review with a 5/5 excellent

Need i say more ;)

10. Stacknpile

Stacknpile New Member

Found this thread by googling the issue to see if anyone else was struck by the price hike.

Very disappointed with the "from" trick. Yeah, that's for 1000 but for 1 sov it's 15 more! Ok, that includes p&p and the unit price starts to come down as you order more to reflect that but it's a massively worse deal. Even worse if you buy a mix of coins.

Elbow for me too. Time to find a new dealer. Which is a shame as I recommended them to someone I know who wants to buy and he's just sent in his ID etc- I'll have to tell him to do it again with a different dealer. Which reflects a little badly on me

Shame on you atkinsons. Add another 2 people to the list who won't be buying any more from you

11. MedievalGold

MedievalGold New Member

12. Photonaware

Watched the video and whilst agreeing in principal with the content the author is not quite correct.
    Atkinsons have essentially copied BullionByPost by showing misleading headline prices and stating free delivery.
    You have to add shipping costs from Chard and from CoinInvestDirect so comparing prices for one or two coins as shown on youtube is not comparing correctly.

I suggest any serious UK silver stackers upset by the changes at Atkinsons start looking at buying from coin sellers in Germany.
    If you want to check real prices go to CoinInvestDirect and set the country to Germany.
    That will give you a benchmark and then shop around in Germany prepared to order say 40 oz to amortise shipping.
    CoinInvestDirect will not honour German prices shipping to the UK even though their warehouse is located in Germany.
    You have to buy from a German dealer charging 7% VAT and not 20% VAT.

I am also disappointed in Atkinsons gold prices as they used to be very competitive but they are fleecing customers compared to other dealers so shop around.

They have been in my opinion poorly advised since they made changes, loosing regular customers like me and some others by the comments on this forum. If they can sell significant quantities at their new marked-up prices then good luck to them but that would only suggest there are some poorly researched buyers out there but we Brits revel in paying over the odds - that's leading on to railfares now so I will say no more.

13. AgAuNEWS

AgAuNEWS Member

The 7% VAT in Germany finishes in a few months time.

14. Stacknpile

Stacknpile New Member

I've listened to Paul's comments in his video response.

Thing is, any number of sovereigns I choose works out more expensive than before. So even any idea of appealing to larger buyers doesn't wash. I'd also like to see them lay their hands on 1000 sovs at once.

Ordering a mix of coins is just bankrupting - implied p&p on each different type.

I'm sure orders were always a certain size - I'm sure people didn't pay 6 odd p&p for delivery of 1 coin.

I reckon they've just calculated they can make a lot more 'coin' this way ;) I just hope their calculations factor in lower volume - or that lots of precious metal buyers are mugs

Now, need to find me a new gold seller....

15. Stacknpile

Stacknpile New Member

Btw. I love the review on the website from "sir Ron Moore" (my capitalisation on the "m").

He recommended to 150 friends. How did he do that? On Facebook?

Maybe he was hoping to get a bulk order together and negotiate reduced implied p&p

16. Silver Bullion Boy

Silver Bullion Boy New Member

I too have purchased from Atkinsons and I'm not too amused with their new selling platforms pricing! They are now one of the most expensive dealers in the UK. Had a good look through their new site and even Bullion Co has better prices when it comes to some of there gold coins and bars, sad! I will now be shopping less there from now on!

17. paulatkinson

paulatkinson New Member

Hi everyone my name is Paul Atkinson from Atkinsons Coins and Bullion.

Thanks for all the comments good and bad. I am listening!We value your feedback and are always trying to do the best we can for you. Keep checking our prices and those of our competitors. Look out for the new ideas we have coming in the next few days as well. You'll like them.
    We didn't get everything right on the first day I know that and since then we have been realigning our prices and have more features to come. This family will always work hard to give you the best affordable prices we can we value the stacking community and monitor the forums to see how we are doing, not like our competitors. We will give you the best service we can.
    Keep stacking.

Paul

18. Stacknpile

Stacknpile New Member

Thanks for your post Paul. It is good to know that you are listening. Having been very happy with Atkinsons over a number of purchases, I will check your site in a couple of weeks time when I expect to make my next buy.

If this whole change hadn't happened, you would have got my business automatically. As it is I have now checked out CoinInvest so, for the sake of 30 seconds work, naturally I will compare price and go with the lowest overall price for my order.

So fair warning given - you know the price to beat! :)

19. Photonaware

I too decided to order elsewhere and placed substantial orders. Having checked your sovereign prices earlier today I was pleased to see a much more competitive price at the 10 piece quantity taking into account the cost of Special Delivery.

20. Cornishfarmer

Cornishfarmer New Member

I've recently bought gold from atkinsons and found then to be very good, I like the live chat. What did everybody do about boying silver? Did you stick with them or decide to use others? If so where did you go? I've decided to put 200 ish a month into gold silver, what is best
    ? Coins, bars, gold.... Over to you