Are these nazi bars the real deal ?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Goldfinger007, Aug 12, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Mill3d

Mill3d Member

These bars look dubious to say the least

For a start, why would they have the SS Totenkkopf stamped on them rather than a mint mark? I forget the name of it for the moment, but the major German minter still runs and has done so for centuries

Secondly, these look like quite amateurish. Germans were renowned for much higher refinement. The wonky numbering is especially comical, particularly for an organisation that was all about the creme de la creme. I don’t buy it

Thirdly, unless the Bars were retrieved from an intact U-boat they should show sign of chemical salting from interaction with seawater

Lastly, buying from Argentina. Nuff said.

Coins above show the typical level of NSDAP era German minting, equal to any other at the time, as a benchmark to compare the bars.

If you are collecting from this period in history, the Martin Luther coin is the one to go for.

People crack the sads reflexively when talking about collecting this sort of thing like that’s what’s expected of them. You don’t have to. The Nazis are long gone and only exist in the fervent lunacy of leftwing totalitarians in search of an oppressor.

Silver260 and spannermonkey like this.
  2. SouthCoastSilver

SouthCoastSilver Active Member

A tottenkomph (skull) and the SS insignia doesn't make much sense to be on any precious metals, they are pretty much exclusively military insignia. But have been adopted by weird Nazi fetishists and biker gangs, the same as the A H. Which are Hitler's initials, again another thing adopted after the fact

I can say with almost certainly these aren't the real deal. They would be stamped with a swastika, even they did have swastikas instead of the military insignia, the Germans were busy fighting the biggest war in human history, had much better things to be doing than crudely marking silver bars

3. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

the bars were made by the American, just like the stars in the Nazi movies lol

JohnnyBravo300 likes this.
  4. Revils

Revils Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Is it the leftwing totalitarians with Swaztika tattoos and copies of Mein Kampf under their beds? Plenty of real neonazi lunatics on the right. Oppressors certainly come from all of the political spectrum.

5. Goldfinger007

Goldfinger007 New Member

Sorry I haven't replied to you gents. I've been busting my butt to authenticate these bars, whether they are real or not. So I thought I would share what I found out, even though In going to be met with criticism (no worries..I have thick so give me your thoughts.

Markings--I was able to meet and discuss these pieces with a WW2 curator. I showed him the bars, and he immediately addressed the ss runes and asked with a shocked look on his face where I acquired these. I told him the basics but didn't go into great detail. He said that it's very rare to see this form of ss runes. I told him what fellow collectors had thought, they looked faked. He said, people often think that, because they are used to the ones you see on uniforms in TV /documentaries. I also asked about the eagle w/the wings/swastika, and he said that the eagle marking was not out of the ordinary, and said he had seen it on similar precious metals. Not on refined metals such as degussa refined products (straight/perfect symbols/Serial/Weight..etc) but on silver refined and produced by labor camps (not just weaponry) he said more than likely they used the same stamping system (similar to trench art) they used whatever was at hand and were by no means organized. He said to ask the person, I got these from, if there were any duplicate Serial numbers on any of the other bars, and I told him that it was strange that he had asked that, the reason being is that out of the 400-500 bars they found, there were duplicates here and there, he said he was not at all surprised, once again he reiterated the fast and chaotic atmosphere in these camps (I told him even some of the numbers in the serial numbers were upside down, not many but a few). The seller had also mentioned these discrepancies before I purchased them. He, once again, said it was quantity over quality, because the end of the war was drawing near and the ss who were in charge of these camps, were all prepared to flee to the South (mainly South America and Africa). As far as the A.H. bar is concerned, he said that the same goes for the stamping on them. It was a great conversation, and he gave me some great insight.

Patina- This was not as difficult. I went to a Chemistry Professor at the Local University, showed him the bars, explained my intentions (I'm not a nazi sympathizer). He ran some tests, checked silver purity (.998) and under a uv/ infrared spectrum. I asked why it wasn't more corroded and in pretty good condition. He laughed and said because it's a "noble metal". It will tarnish but will not corrode because of the purity. He said many factors play a roll in patina/tarnishing. Salt Water Depth, temperature, location ( coriolis effect ),was it protected in mud/vessel/etc. He said, that if there was enough silver around the site, it can actually change the alkaline levels in water surrounding it, which I thought was pretty cool. He said that he was not at all surprised by the look of the silvers color, he especially took interest in the purple hue on the bars and thought that the remaining impurities was likely the cause. He then said sterling silver is a whole different beast, a little while in saltwater, the whole thing starts to turn black and corrosion begins. So fellas, at this point, I dont know. I guess it's one of those things we will probably never be able to authenticate, or know what happened. Take care and happy stacking!

PS. Google this!

"ss gairsoppa silver bars" - 70 years under saltwater.. silver bars in almost mint condition "

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  6. jultorsk

jultorsk Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for the follow up. Certainly interesting insights.

The SS Gairsoppa silver salvage was a smashing story. I only have a couple of the 1/10oz Brits made of that silver. But this monster is something epic...

Goldfinger007 likes this.
  7. 66rounds

66rounds Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I guess it will be nigh on impossible to authenticate 100% but looks like you can he fairly confident

8. Goldfinger007

Goldfinger007 New Member

I'm good with it either way, I think it's very important to preserve history regardless. I have been in precious metals a very long time, and there's no better feeling then holding a part of history and or a chunk of gold for that matter. Gold will always be my first love...lol .I would even go as far to say more than likely U.S. gold eagles or U.S. silver Coins probably contain reminents of WW2 (as far as origin). Like I said to everyone I have showed these to, I am by no means a Nazi sympathizer, just a collector. Hitler was a piece of trash in my eyes, but like the old saying goes, " if we choose to forget about our history- we are doomed to repeat it"!

spannermonkey likes this.
  9. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So.... have you started buying Trump's gold or memorabilia? They'll be selling like hot cakes when it comes November this year....

10. Goldfinger007

Goldfinger007 New Member

You got to be kidding me..lol..Are you still crying over the 2016 elections..hahaha..now that's tragic yet hilariously funny. But to answer your question, if it's made of gold than yes!! Keep America Great !!

jultorsk likes this.
  11. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not crying about 2016... if someone wants US to go down, gotta be commander-in-chief' himself... you'll make a killing on his gold for sure by NOV as gold spot will be on $3000USD!

12. Bullion_ron

Bullion_ron Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Pics of the gold?

13. Goldfinger007

Goldfinger007 New Member

I remember my first beer!!lol

14. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member

Those bars are sweet either way and .998 to boot.
    I'd keep those suckers safe and treat them like they could be original just in case, although it may never be known for sure like you said.

You dont have to be a nazi sympathizer to appreciate something like that haha. Those are just plain cool.
    Could have been minted in a backroom of a prison camp by prisoners themselves, never know.
    Theres also no commie in me. I'm a red blooded colorado boy and I'd never sympathize with a mentally ill genocidal maniac.

Goldfinger007 and spannermonkey like this.
  15. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Would you believe the biggest demand for natzi memorabilia comes from ?
    The really wealthy jews :eek:
    Who then.
    NO they don't destroy it .
    They resell it o_O at inflated prices & they control the game of natzi memorabilia .
    Yeah go figure o_O

16. Goldfinger007

Goldfinger007 New Member

I'm not surprised, but then again nothing really surprises me in the world today..lol..I definitely agree on the inflated prices. I'm almost embarrassed to say what I paid as a premium. I tried to get them to bring the price down a little bit, I darn near screwed up the deal. They said in order to make back what they spent in the recovery process, they had to ask for larger premiums. They had all sorts of cool stuff, silver sycees from old Asian dynasties, taels, very old pottery with Chinese silver rounds in them. Some of the silver rounds were linked together by coral which is badass in my opinion. I dont know what they call them, but they were silver and some gold that were rounds with Chinese markings with squares cut out in the middle. But anyway, I have no regrets about buying them.

spannermonkey likes this.
  17. Goldfinger007

Goldfinger007 New Member

I will try to upload some of the pics, but I dont know if it will work due to file size.

18. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

imgur.com & use a link

19. Goldfinger007

Goldfinger007 New Member

20. Goldfinger007

Goldfinger007 New Member