Anyone stack RHODIUM? I'm tempted by a Cohen Mint 1oz rhodium round.

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by bungo, Feb 1, 2011.

1. bungo

bungo Member

Do any of you stack rhodium?

I'm tempted by a new round due to come out in the next few months from the Cohen Mint in the USA, because it's so utterly drop-dead gorgeous (plus I think rhodium is due to take off soon similar to palladium 2 years ago).

[​IMG]

However, I have 2 concerns.

1. I've seen some complaints online that the Cohen Mint is pretty slack when it comes to delivering the goods you've paid for. Anyone here in Oz ordered from them before?

2. I don't know of anyone who stacks rhodium - cue concerns over liquidity if I decide to sell.

Any rhodium advice is welcome!

2. silverfunk

silverfunk Active Member

Personally I would keep away from stacking this kind of metal.

Rhodium is extremely volatile, peaked at around 10k at one stage.

Their is a good rhodium discussion on the kitco forum

https://www.kitcomm.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27

In terms of liquidity I am sure someone in Australia via here or ebay will buy it when the time comes for you to sell.

3. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

It is volatile, but now its less than $2400 per oz, and that coin would probably cost $2700 +- $150

I think Rhodium will keep going up.

Cohen Mint if not dodgy, hasnt sorted out itself logistically and too many complaints.

4. benjamind2010

benjamind2010 New Member

Rhodium, along with other industrial metals, will more or less collapse in price as China's massive (and I mean MASSIVE) debt bubble is deflated. The deflation will likely be fairly violent, with massive price swings of +/- 5% before it trends decisively lower.

In the not too distant future I expect rhodium to fall < $1000/ounce. No, I'm not joking.

Of course, this doesn't take into account supply side issues, or mining issues, which, can change the direction of pricing. But the threat of deflation from China is breathtakingly monstrous.

For an insight, check this out, it might change your mind about China and Australia's future economic prosperity - the likes of which have been pretty much taken for granted over the last 30 YEARS!

http://historysquared.com/2010/08/11/china-housing-bubble-the-emperor-wears-no-clothes/

From what I can glean from this little gem, it doesn't look good...at all.

5. MrSilverAG

MrSilverAG New Member

I've heard the mint takes forever to deliver orders on these. You can find them on eBay however for less than the cost that the mint sells the graded version, and you won't have to wait forever for it.
    Problem is once you turn Rhodium into a coin or bar, its not useful for the actual industrial end user. They want the 'sponge' or powdered metal. Also its expensive/difficult to turn into coin so you have a high premium.

with that said, I still bought me a couple of these just for kicks, a while back. They don't look nearly as nice as the pics in the first post of this thread though, they are tiny and rather plain

6. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Cohen Mint have made 1 gram rhodium coins before - these look like a forthcoming full 1 ounce version.

I just had a look at their website - looks like they got their 1oz rhodium bars into production. Whether it's reusable in industry once it's been pressed into bar form from sponge is certainly a question I would want answered before buying one.

7. intelligencer

intelligencer Active Member

Imo a waste of time.

If you really want in on the rhodium play, then go the sponge/kitco route; but even that I think is a woftam.

8. bungo

bungo Member

I think the Cohen Mint's previous releases were 1g coins, and from what I've seen they were pretty crappy and roughly minted.

As Goldpelican mentioned, this new one is a 1oz issue - I wouldn't order until photos were available, rather than concept art, but I have to say (coming from a big fan of old sovereigns) the design took my breath away.

9. bungo

bungo Member

Link doesn't seem to be working?

10. MrSilverAG

MrSilverAG New Member

oh I missed the fact that these were 1 oz'ers not the old 1 gram coins. Interesting... hopefully their premium percentage shrinks from the 1 gram coins!

If they can get it to actually look like that concept photo, then I'd be impressed. While rhodium is the most rare and expensive precious metal, I find it to be the least pretty.