Anyone else just get a huge power bill?

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by Jimmy1986, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Kawa

Kawa New Member

I got my bill and rang them and demanded that I wanted to fight someone.I didnt care if they were big or small.I just wanted someone to come over so I could belt the crap out of them.

2. Willow

Willow New Member

Grrrr baby, GGRRRR...

3. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

We used to breed tropical fish until we worked out after a couple years that they werer the reason for our high bills.

Check your ceiling in case the cleaner/child has started a hydroponic set up. :p

I'm living in a shed with no electricity so I expect my next bill to be okay :D

4. tozak

tozak Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

All my energy is Free and not only that I get a few ounces of Gold a year from the net export

What you need to do to stay ahead in this game is;

Install a 5Kw Grid Feed Monocrystalline Solar System with a low night consumption inverter (50watts max.) to maximise on the QLD "net" buy back don't use power during the day yourself, or as little as possible (aim for a 0.5Kw average during the day)

Install a Solar Hot Water System with large tank, Booster needs to be set to cut in at very low temp and cut off only a bit higher than the setting on your tempering value. You also should put a timer in the switchboard to control the Booster RCD (OFF between 5am - 4pm), this will stop the Booster from triggering at the same time the Solar Collector has warmer water than the tank

Install a 0.5Kw Standalone Battery Backup Solar System for your lighting and covert all your lighting to LED. This way you entire houses lighting system is independent of the grid and the energy saved is also exported to the grid. This allows you to go beyond the 5Kw limit for Private Residential Grid Tie and you have lights in a blackout.

Covert all cooking to gas and use your own gas bottles, you can connect up 2 or 4 or 6 or 8 or as many as you like, just add in gas valves and regulator as required. You will find you probably only use 4 standard bottles a year so at $20 a refill it's like $80 and if you make your system large enough you only have to go fill them up once a year or 2 years.

Low flow shower head saves hot water (energy) as well as water.

Don't use heaters use blankets

Don't use Aircon use low consumption ceiling fans in every room and get good ceiling insulation

NEVER use the dryer, it's about the worse consumer of power there is. It has both a large heating element, large motor and it is run for long periods of time. I could power my whole house for a week on what most people use in one night with their dryers. You need to increase your washing line capacity, I had to increase mine about 10 fold and it needs to be undercover or easily moved undercover. I can now swing mine into the sun or just swing it back under shelter in seconds. I have not used a Dryer for about 5 years now.

Same thing, wash by hand instead of the dishwasher

Fill the kettle to make only just enough water to what your using

Ironing is only done at night when there is no competition with the feed in tariff

Fill in the pool, make it into a veggie patch or something then just pay to go to a public pool instead, pumps and solenoids are energy hungry

DONT turn things off at the wall, I know this is the one thing that everyone says to do but there are 2 types of devices (1) those that have no standby and requires a mechanical switch to close a contact and start supply so turning that off at the wall makes no difference (Kettle, Toaster, Hair Dryer etc.) then (2) those that go on standby (TV, Monitors, Dvd/Blue-ray, Stereo etc.) Yes it will save you power but they are meant to be on standby so the components in the power circuitry/rectification can stay warm, okay if you go away for a week turn it off but do it every day and you will only get about 1/4 the life expectancy out of most of these type of devices

So yeah, if you save on power you can stack more metal. Think of every single cent you save now is a dollar later on because you can invest the savings in Silver!

5. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

Check if it was an actual meter reading or an estimated reading.

6. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

by choice or....?

7. hilaire9

hilaire9 Member

My monthly gas and electric bill (coastal southern California):
    Billing Period: June 09 - July 08, 2012
    -Usage Amount:
    *Gas: 8 Therms $7.21
    *Electric: 312 kWh $45.46
    -Total Charges this Month $52.67

8. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

Yes by choice to be closer to the new job. Will do it for a year or so until we build on the new block but will connect to the grid later in the year before the family come up to join me.
    IN the meantime, it has been early nights for me :)

9. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I signd up with Lumo Energy a few months ago as they said that bill increases are capped at a maximum 5% per year. They just sent me the new rates, and my power has risen by 38.3%. They say it is because of the carbon tax. What a scam. Anyone who approves of this tax for "environmental reasons" is a half wit who would believe anything. Once these bills hit home Labor and the Greens will cease to exist.

10. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Anyone who doesn't complain to both the ACCC and the Energy and Water Ombudsman about a company that does that is just as bad.

11. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just as bad....?

12. Shaddam IV

I will be complaining. The reality of the stupidity and damage of this insane tax is that whether the rise in price of everything that we buy due to the carbon tax is accurate or an inflated amount, the rise is there and we all suffer. For nothing. For a tax that will increase CO2 emissions while driving us into hardship.Not that increased CO2 emissions matter anyway, CO2 is not a climate driver. Fortunately the hoax is collapsing.

13. wrcmad

What a choice, heh?

Just cop it sweet and wait for the next election to bring back some sanity?

Or go running to the ACCC and play right into their hands as they slowly introduce total control?

14. Shaddam IV

Prices never come down. Once Labor and the Greens freak show are gone, even if the carbon tax is repealed the damage is done, no company will drop their prices. For all this we have to thank the gullible who bought into the whole "Global warming" hoax, ie: the people that buy the newspapers each morning in order to find out what their opinions are. Anyone with a shred of intelligence would simply look at the temperature records and realised that they were being played for suckers. It's a new branch of science - it's called "Rob the Dentist" science. "9 out 10 scientists blah blah blah", panic and give us money blah blah blah.

15. Big A.D.

Uh, yeah. If somebody rips you off and you don't do anything about it...

Seriously, a 38.3% increase is a rip off. A blatant rip off. My rate is up too, but only by 16% and that's with a percentage of "expensive" green power thrown in. The grid connection fee has gone from 48c/day to 62.8c/day (a seventy-something percent increase) but that's the state government gouging me by gold-plating the grid and building stuff they don't need to build.

16. Big A.D.

Sorry, I must have misunderstood something.

You're saying if a company rips you off, you should not go to the people who handle complaints about companies ripping people off?

17. wrcmad

Yeah, usually if I'm being ripped off I just find an alternate supplier, but in this case there is no escape from the psychopaths in governement ripping everyone off! :mad:

18. Shaddam IV

Unless the Liberals do something even more stupid than usual Labor will no longer exist as a viable political party after the next election. They will all have their huge parasitic pensions though. It is better than they deserve for throwing the nation under the bus with this insane tax. Once the next wave of power bills roll in the piddling bribes that Labor has offered will be forgotten and they will be replaced by a public that will not forget what the Greens and Labor have done to them.

19. Big A.D.

You know, the real irony here is that four weeks ago this forum was full of people outraged at the prospect of the ACCC handing out million dollar fines to companies that raised their prices after the carbon tax came in without being able to justify the increase.

"Oh noes! What about free speech! Blame the government!"

Fast-forward to now and all of a sudden the forum is full of outrage about companies increasing prices way above what the effect of the carbon tax has had.

"Oh noes! I'm being ripped off and I refuse to complain to the people at the ACCC who handle complaints! Blame the government!"

I'm likely to say something very unkind unless I hit submit now...

20. wrcmad

^^^ We can only hope....