Any Perth Jewellers?

Discussion in 'Jewellery & Gems' started by spclst69, Oct 1, 2012.

1. spclst69

spclst69 Member

Hey All,

So my girlfriend and I got engaged and we need to do some ring shopping. So I figured if i can keep it in the SS community then win win. Or if anyone had any recommendations of good honest jewellers in Perth to go see.

She has a specific shaped/looking ring in mind that she has photos of as well.

Let me know if you can help.

Cheers

2. STC

STC Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

G'day,
    I am in the same situation (soon to buy a rock!) so congratulations to you also.
    What I want is a princess cut around 1ct D,E or F certified (lasor ingraved ID) Stone for under $5000 & I plan to supply a scratched up 1oz gold maple (they will melt & alloy your fine gold & you keep the remainder) alloyed to around 10grams of 18ct Au with an option of adding platinum face for setting. You start getting picky on particulars etc so take some time to nut it all out. Most advice I've been given is diamonds are a rip off with 2000% markup, don't care because it's not like I'm going to hock it one day (crosses fingers).

After asking SS, family, friends, google etc I can't find anywhere better than:

Diamonds By Design
    Shop 8 Morley Mkts Shopping Centre 238 Walter Rd
    Morley WA 6062

They have a Fremantle store also.

I'm only 2 weeks into this project & will be in Diamondsbydesign Wednesday. He offers great services with 3D modeling for casts etc & an excellent smith to file polish & custom mount. They can do most service onsite but use external facilties for casting moulds or melting Pt, in other words they do everything for you like source any cut/carot/clarity stone you desire, import it, design your "vision" on paper, print it 3D, cast the mould, inscribe, polish & plate (rhodium etc) & assay your shank & setting, register, ID & mount your stone then professionally value, photo/describe & create an appraisal of the finished masterpiece. Morley is a small shop with a Smith & his wife is the Gem lady & graphic designer.

Do not go to the shopping center jewelers (angus & coot are the best in that league if you have to) unless you would rather buy 2 beers for $6, go to a smith & get 6 beers for $2. Picking ready made rock n ring is for sheep!

Ive done the research, please pm me if you can find a better service!

3. spclst69

spclst69 Member

Congrats to you and thanks for the info. If I find better I will definitely let you know.

My girlie has been looking as vintage jewellery but if she can't find something she likes then I definitely think getting one made is the next step.

4. donkey74

donkey74 New Member

Hi guys, I did a lot of shopping around and looking at diamonds when we got engaged.
    I went with Joe at diamonds and pearls on Hay St near the appe store.
    He found me a certified diamond from the US for a great price all certified and engraved.
    It's a little family feel shop without all the BS and are really good to deal with.

I didn't realise the crappy quality of the diamonds that the chain stores sell. They never tell you the colour or other grades. Plus charge a damn fortune for their crap.

I hope this helps and I'm not too late.

5. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

If it helps, I have a Brisbane diamond merchant who can offer decent prices... contact me with what you need and I'll see if I can do some interstate deals... :D

If it helps, I also have one of the best engravers in Australia here in Brisbane, he's done all work for me.

6. ShinyStuff

ShinyStuff New Member

I just want to comment on the "2000% markup".... I work in a Sydney jeweller's as I am a student gemmologist... and I see him buy his diamonds from the rap sheet... RAPAPORT that is... anyhow, he makes a TINY markup on what he pays... remember there is 10% GST plus insurance plus FEDEX costs... basically the price he pays he must add 15% to cover these costs, then he may make a small (single figure) profit on the ring... he works on high turnover and also on repeat business. Sadly there was money in diamonds many years ago, but not much now.

Shiny.

7. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

:lol:

If that's how he does business :rolleyes:

8. ShinyStuff

ShinyStuff New Member

Oh, so you think honest people are suckers? You reap what you sow.

9. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Where did I say that ?
    I was laughing at the mark up on diamonds ;)

10. ShinyStuff

ShinyStuff New Member

Well, u quoted me, so i thought u were saying my mate was a sucker.

But i agree, diamonds are as common as sand is on the beach. Give me a coloured gem any day.