Antartic May Have Diamonds

Discussion in 'Jewellery & Gems' started by 1for1, Dec 18, 2013.

1. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

For those interested in Diamond supply.. heres some more pontentially bad news.. as you will know if your hardcore into gems.. diamonds are only semi precious.. heres another reason to think twice about buying diamonds as an investment.

Article: http://www.theage.com.au/world/antarctica-may-have-diamonds-20131218-hv66i.html

Oslo: A type of rock that often bears diamonds has been found in Antarctica for the first time, giving a hint of mineral riches in the vast, icy continent that is off limits to mining, scientists said.
    A 1991 environmental accord banned mining for at least 50 years under the Antarctic Treaty that preserves the continent for scientific research and wildlife, from penguins to seals.
    Writing in the journal Nature Communications, an Australian-led team reported East Antarctic deposits of kimberlite, a rare type of rock named after the South African town of Kimberley famed for a late 19th century diamond rush.

"These rocks represent the first reported occurrence of genuine kimberlite in Antarctica," they wrote of the finds around Mount Meredith in the Prince Charles Mountains.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/antarctica-may-have-diamonds-20131218-hv66i.html#ixzz2nnCa2TmP

2. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Ruby's or Saphires ;)

3. Altima

Altima Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

4. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Like them both.. depends on which particular specimen for me.. both have nice substitutes but i guess id go Ruby over Sapphire based on substitutes.

Ruby - Tourmaline is very nice and some are similar, Marlie Garnets are nice also - both are far cheaper but not the same .

Sapphire - Tanzanite in Blue is just as nice in my opinion, i like the Aussie style darker Sapphires, the Cornflowers ones at not as nice for me.. Some topaz looks similar..

1for1

5. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Why Indeed.. other than social and cultural etiquette.. possibly the best example of capitalism and profit maximising through controlling supply, dont understand why savvy businessman dont go into the market and sell at ACTUAL costs and take all the demand.. but i guess they have figured selling 1ct at $1000 beats 1ct at $100 as 10x less work to get the same income.

1for1

6. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Decent Zircons will give better brillance than a diamond.

I like Sapphires, Ruby and Zircons...natural and un-heated. ;) :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yet ironically the kimberlites in Australia are barren of diamonds. Australian Diamonds come from Lamproite rock, and considering Antarctica and Australia were once conjoined it is more than likely these Antarctic Kimberlites are also devoid of Diamonds. Sounds more like an excuse to drill rather than a reason to drill.