Another noob from the UK

Discussion in 'Welcome New Members' started by Reggie Perrin, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Reggie Perrin

Reggie Perrin New Member

Hi

I just registered today, although I've been lurking for a few months on this and a couple of other silver forums. Signed up here as some of the other forums seem to have some really hardcore PM advocates who seem to enjoy 'shouting' at others, especially noobs like me (ok... I was too scared to register elsewhere :) )

Goal: to stack silver as a means of preserving wealth for myself and the family. I admit I'm a bit late to the game, but given the state of Europe (greece, Italy, spain, UK), USA, etc., and the politicians keep telling us everything is going to be just fine and that PM's are worthless, I figure that's a signal to start buying.

Trying to concentrate on silver bullion coins to build up the Toz's quickly, Phili's and Maples, but I can't resist purchasing some of the more numismatic [shiny] coins.

UK has a 20%vat rate on Silver so I purchase silver coins through coininvestdirect, and have it delivered to an address in Germany, ergo only 7% VAT.

That's about it really, apart from I'll try to keep the dumb questions to a minimum.

regards

2. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

3. Captain Kookaburra

Captain Kookaburra Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Welcome aboard ... Maybe I'll bring some Ag over next time I visit the UK.

4. Load of Bullion

Load of Bullion Well-Known Member

Welcome, and yeah, people get stupid over silver (primarily wealth preservation) and their investments.
    A fellow here in Australia (John Christian) sold portions of his silver and was abused by many other people whom buy silver online.
    That brought it home to me how completely stupid people can get over f---king silver, Lol.
    Numismatic coins are a different market really.
    Just do your thing, set your own targets and enjoy.

5. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Agree ..... Hey reggie

6. Reggie Perrin

Reggie Perrin New Member

Hi Ladybird

I'm down s'arf of you in the Southwest, Bath. Looking at the map, Australia appears to be closer to me than Elgin :) Coininvest is the only one I've used so far for PM. I've had a look at ebay but the prices don't look too good, a bit overpriced. Plus I've had a few bad experiences in the past, luckily not expensive, so I'm steering clear of that until I get a bit more savvy.. ATM I can see me bidding for chrome plated washers.

Glad to see I'm not the only pomme [I think that's how you spell it?] here, and that my impressions of the forum whilst lurking were correct, i.e. a friendly bunch :)

I'm guessing the Aussie's aren't robbed as much as us when it comes to VAT on silver... lucky people.

What is it with those Silver Rose coins, very pretty but they don't appear to be legal tender like the Britannia's?

cheers

7. Maggie

Maggie New Member Silver Stacker

Welcome Reggie : )

8. Ozboy

Ozboy Active Member

Hi Reggie, and welcome.

9. Reggie Perrin

Reggie Perrin New Member

Hi Ladybird/anyone

When you swap coins with someone in Australian does both parties get hit with import duty/VAT? I'm curious as I have an order with Maggie for a Koi coin, plus I like the idea of swapping UK coins for Aussie ones... their mint produces some really nice pieces.

[I'm not sure of the forum etiquette yet, so I'm not sure where to post general questions like this one]

regards

10. Reggie Perrin

Reggie Perrin New Member

[Can we edit posts after we Submit them? ... my grammar is good not, and I only spolt mistakes after I hit the post mutton]

11. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

I think you have to wait seven days from when you join to be able to post. Yes you can edit after you post.

Welcome Reggie Perrin.. welcome aboard the Silver Express!

Regards errol 43

12. Reggie Perrin

Reggie Perrin New Member

Thanks Errol and Ladybird. I especially like the bit about 'collectors medallions'. :)

13. XB

XB Active Member Silver Stacker

G'day and welcome Reggie

14. Reggie Perrin

Reggie Perrin New Member

Thanks Ladybird, although I'm still a bit confused about whether GD exists or not. I guess I'll find out in a few days :)

cheers

15. Black_Sun

Black_Sun New Member

what is not illegal to bring into UK without fat taxes? it is amazing how tobacco smuggling is now a major problem for UK, by guys driving back (via Dover) into UK with cigarettes hidden in the boot. UK government creating big problems where none need exist. wonder how much silver enters via Dover inside car boots?

16. Reggie Perrin

Reggie Perrin New Member

I can't comment on the illegal stuff, but last month we bought back goods, all perfectly legally, that saved us about 650 of VAT and other taxes. This included, cigarettes, booze, diesel, hot pasties, and to partly answer your question.

32 x 1 oz silver coins inside the car boot, @ 7% VAT instead of 20%, which was driven through Dover.

Like I say this was all perfectly legal, we paid all taxes in the country of purchase, and EU directives/HMRC place no restrictions on bringing stuff into the UK for personnel use, so long as it's not for re-sale. The trick sometimes is proving it's for personnel use and not for re-sale.

And we do this 4 times a year :) If the Muppets dropped the taxes they'd probably take in more tax revenue

[BTW I lied about the hot pasties... it's a bit of a joke in the UK ATM]