ANDA "Brisbane Money Expo"

Discussion in 'Meetings & Events' started by Jislizard, May 23, 2016.

1. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not a bad show this year.

Parking was atrocious as with every year, having a Sunday market and a sports tournament on at the same time doesn't help. I was volunteering so I didn't have to worry as I got there early. If anyone knows of a better venue I am sure the organisers would like to know about it.

I was staffing the "Five Cent Forage" table for the children. ANDA went to the bank and got $400 in 5 cent coins, then dumped them all on four long tables. They handed out free 5 cent album pages along with a guide to show the kids which pocket to put each year's coin in. We were packed from about 10:00 right up to closing time at 16:00.

Apparently on Saturday the kids pulled out one silver sixpence and two 1972s but by Sunday the coins had been well and truly picked over, the best we could do was three New Zealand coins and a Dime. Next time they are going to withhold half the coins for the second day.

The kids spent hours there, most of the time the mothers would come up and join them, leaving the fathers to go shopping but then the fathers came back and joined in too. We had whole families trying to get a full set of 5 cent coins.

I am guessing it didn't hurt sales to have the wife and kids occupied for hours while the collectors went and looked at the stands. Often when the parents settled the kids in they both disappeared to see the show and we just kept the kids entertained and occupied for them. It might even encourage some children to become collectors in the future.

Great idea from the show organisers and if they are still using 5cent coins next year they will probably do it again.

As to the dealers and the stands, no idea what was on any of them, I didn't get a single minute to actually see any of them.

2. boneyard

boneyard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thanks for the report.

I hope you have a Government issued Working with Children check.

3. Jislizard

Yes, I am one of the lucky few with a BlueCard, everyone else got to chat with adults and fellow collectors all day!

The other BlueCard holders are mostly volunteers with Church groups and none of them were to be seen on Sunday Morning, they must all have a meeting or something.

4. bloomst

bloomst Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Jislizard, I saw the photo from the FB coin page, what a great way to get the kids entertained and nurture future collectors!

5. Jislizard

They really enjoyed it, one even went and bought a 1972 coin so they could complete it. Another went and bought one of the new 2016 coins so he would have the most in the set.

Parents appreciated it to and wanted to know if it was going to be done next year.

6. bloomst

bloomst Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Did ANDA fork out $400?

I also like the concept of the coin show in Perth where the allow individual collectors to swap/sell in a seperate section (upstair)

7. Jislizard

They did, and covered the costs of the pages. The day I helped out we finished off a pack and opened three more.

I guess they will bank the left over 5 cents and get more next year.

A couple of parents thought it was a nice idea for a party activity so I pity the poor bank tellers.