All new cars in US from 1/9/14 to carry 'Black Box' inc gps

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by VRS, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So you endlessly repeat 1984 instead. You could copy and paste, that would also stop you having to repeat yourself and it might have more impact. I think that we can probably take for granted that 1984 is a given in any conversation such as this.

At least a few people might read it as a result of reading the thread, they won't be any better informed but reading is always to be encouraged.

2. Jislizard

So quoting one work of fiction in an argument is a reasonable debate and quoting another is not, and I suppose you get to be the one to chose. I think I can safely say that the Bible is a bit more widely respected than 1984, even though I have read them both and preferred 1984.

The reason I mentioned Christians was to highlight the dangers of using a fictional book to try and prove a point and the reason I mentioned using cartoons off the internet instead of a coherent argument is because it is one page back in this thread http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/209_64620.jpg

I hope that has cleared a few thing up however none of these posts has actually added any real substance to the thread. As usual people have run out of ideas and turned on each other to fill the void.

At least this is entertaining even if it isn't informative.

Edit to add: whoops, sorry, didn't clock who posted the cartoon instead of a coherent argument, wasn't trying to be sarcastic.

3. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well that about wraps it up for God. :)

4. Jislizard

Apologies to God

5. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

1984 is relevant to this thread. The bible isn't. It's a little disturbing that you don't understand that. And, no, I didn't get to choose. Errol did in the second post of the thread. You also accuse mmm...Shiney! of "endlessly quoting 1984". He has mentioned the novel exactly once in the entire thread and that was only in response to your ramblings. And you accuse me of being a disservice to people who "put a bit of effort into their posts"? How about you putting some effort into actually reading and understanding what's being said here?

6. Jislizard

God is watching you at all times, that seems relevant to this.

7. Shaddam IV

"Did you put a bit of effort" into that post?

8. Newtosilver

Newtosilver Active Member Silver Stacker

What about Allah and Budda?

9. Jislizard

Well your last posts just seem to be about you trying to prove how clever you are, the fact that it has pretty much killed all real conversation in this thread is a testament to how boring it is for everyone else.

10. Jislizard

I don't know if God is watching Allah and Budda as well, but he is omnipotent, so maybe

11. Shaddam IV

I will let that post speak for itself.

12. Shaddam IV

To drag the thread back to it's origins, I have to say that there is a certain cosmic humour in all of this - The US administration that has become a pariah around the world due to it's illegal monitoring and collection of vast swathes of personal communications throughout the world and which is so untrustworthy that some countries are building their own internet infrastructure in response, and many companies are being asked by their customers to guarantee that their data in not stored in the US now comes out and legislates that they require permanent real-time surveillance of every single movement, origin point, destination and time of travel of every US citizen using an automobile. For their own good.

And people believe this and argue for it's introduction? I guess they are the same people that think that banks have their customers best interests at heart when they foreclose on their houses and that insurance companies aren't there to make profit, they are there to pay claims to their customers.

13. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

To reference 1984 is a lot easier than having to endlessly repeat ourselves to those who have complete faith in a big government system. :|

14. mmm....shiney!

To reference 1984 is a lot easier than having to endlessly repeat ourselves to those who have complete faith in a big government system. :|

15. mmm....shiney!

Is it working?

16. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So, again, can anyone actually confirm that these systems involve "permanent real-time surveillance of every single movement, origin point, destination and time of travel"?

Or are we just going to keep at it with the assumptions and speculation?

17. PMS

PMS New Member

As I said they're here now and operating in Australia.

QBE insurance already have them and that's the tip of the iceberg.

http://www.qbe.com.au/Personal/Insurance-Box/Insurance.html

Read this and be AFRAID!!!

http://qbe.com.au/content/idcplg?Id...isionSelectionMethod=Latest&Rendition=primary

"It's a Policy condition that you install the Insurance Box Insurance Box collects information from the car such as it's location, when and how it is driven, and where it is kept overnight."

"We therefore check that the car is kept overnight where you said it would be and the kilometres you drive over the year."

"You can plug it in under your dashboard within minutes.
    Most cars today are made with a plug that fits the Insurance Box"

Insurance box, black box, GPS tracker/data logger blah, blah blah.

The fact that they state "most cars today are made with a plug that fits the insurance box" mean cars have been designed as 'black box ready' for some time.

18. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I don't see the issue.

It's a private arrangement between two consenting parties that allows risk premiums to be calculated more accurately at the individual level.

Why should good drivers be subsidizing bad drivers by paying higher premiums?

19. PMS

PMS New Member

If you really think they'll lower your premiums long term because you have an 'insurance box' then I got an igloo to sell you in the Sahara!

The bottom line is soon you won't be able to even get any kind of vehicle insurance from any insurance company without one.
    Then the government will pass legislation requiring all vehicles to be insured.
    Okay I don't completely disagree with that as most countries have mandatory vehicle insurance anyway.

In the end the result will be... No black box=No insurance=You can't drive

It's now been revealed the NSA can 'back door' almost anything it can communicate with and if you think they and governments generally won't want to exploit this technology especially with per kilometre taxation then you will find you're sadly mistaken.

20. Ernster

Ernster New Member

Companies are in it for profit. Once they get the people use to paying a certain price, they never lower it.

Sure good drivers may pay lower premiums than bad drivers with this device, the only problem is, those prices won't be lower than todays prices!

How about we just leave things how they are? Is that too much to ask.