African Springbok 3D 3oz

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Stark, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Stark

Stark Active Member Silver Stacker

2. Razz

Razz Member

I wonder what kind of people buy this shit ( and other on that site) i know a lot of them buy a lot of this crap but for what ? reason the prices are so crazy and the coins(sculptures ) so horribile and numis value zero !

3. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The same people who buy Franklin Mint crap ;)

4. Pirocco

Pirocco Well-Known Member

Collectibles are highly subjective so that 'kind' of people just need another 'kind'.
    It's more art than coin, that's about all.
    There might be enough of that kind people to give it a market.
    This gold (plated) Springbok though, I find ugly, gold is just a bad dull shit color for anything that should represent a living creature.
    Silver is better for this, because it's much lighter colored / reflects light much more too.
    This 3oz 'thing' looks more like a springbok that got shit upon by an elephant.

5. Pirocco

And also the same people that sell Franklin Mint crap back to dealer at original price minus 1821478654% because nobody else wanted to pay more for it, haha.
    There is a big dealer in my region that I watch since 2011, and I've seen alot Franklin Mint stuff popping up in his special offers (bought back from customers) section.
    I could be generalizing here way too far, but it's what I see on auction sites here too (ebay I don't know, ceased to visit it since years, only have been there a year)

I do have a Franklin Mint thing though, a porcelain doll Heirloom, was quite expensive compared to average price for this size, and while it's okay, it didnt look as good as it did on the pictures so I'm regretting it abit. And they didn't use much material either for that price, it's more like a head on a broom :p

6. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Still better than a Bix Weir round

7. Pirocco

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

The same kind of people who buy the garbage Slobs of Olympus pieces of shit coins from the Perth Mint, the waste material Croc coins, and ASE shit coins from the mint here in the States.

9. chubbycheeks

chubbycheeks Member

I'm not sure that should be listed as a coin...

10. db23

db23 Member

I would agree with this. People are mistakenly believing that anything that is metal and declared legal tender must be called a coin. This is more like legal tender art.

11. Pirocco

Those Olympus coins I don't like either. Mythological gods on a coin bah. What an idea. It's like watching the hole of a holey dollar. There is just nothing to be impressed by, nothing nice, nothing entertaining, no message / idea at all. A dead coin. Crocodiles are an other story. Poor relief, cheapskate line drawing, I rather prefer to watch a nice shiny blanc than this.
    ASE coins though, do have something. Their hefty premium ruined alot, I won't buy them anymore, but at least they have some degree of detail and idea.

Out of curiosity, how you judge that Bix Weir "Road to Roota" round I placed some posts up (and edited abit as an answer on the comment :p ) ?
    Forget who Bix Weir is (I don't care either and from what Ive read he appears more like a fantast than anything else), just judge the design.
    Maybe also forget who Pirocco is, and if it helps, forget the rest of the world maybe too. Put a towel over your head, lurk through it, and judge the round. :p

12. mmissinglink

I don't understand the Weir round...I am not interested in Googling "Roota". If the phrase which contains that word is supposed to be a homonym phrase of Roto Rooter, then that is really stupid and the round is an automatic looser for that alone. Stupid things are not appealing to me.

As for what a coin is or isn't, that can not be changed by chubbycheeks, db23, or anyone for that matter. The 3 oz gold Springbuck coin is in fact a coin, like that fact or not.

Throughout history there have been many different shapes used to make coins....our personal preferences do not change the fact that an officially recognized denominated piece issued is a coin. It's kinda bizarre how some people want to define a coin something other than what it is just because they don't like it. It would be no different than me insisting that the Perth Mint's Slobs of Olympus coins should not be listed as coins. That's just as silly as the suggestion that any other coin should not be listed as a coin.

What about these coins, should they also not be listed as coins? -

http://www.wcoins.com/Coins-Irregular.htm

http://thechive.com/2010/08/17/worlds-weirdest-currency-20-photos/

http://mentalfloss.com/article/50557/11-unusually-shaped-coins

http://www.fleur-de-coin.com/articles/unusual-coins

13. Pirocco

A coin is generally seen as a flat round / circular object.
    Here there isn't even a separate word for the case nonlegaltender value like the US has with 'round'.
    People and dealers name them all 'coin' or 'medaillon'. SBSS included. Also that irregular circle shape on your pictures would still be seen as coin.
    If you would show this springbok thing though, and you'd name it a coin, they would stare at you first, then stare at eachother, then laugh.

About Road to Roota, it's clear enough what a "road" is, and it's clear enough that its destination is named "Roota", whatever/wherever that may be, and this fits with the rest of the design. Not sure where you see anything 'stupid'. Of course, if you purposely leave the obvious path, then you can come to any judgement.

14. mmissinglink

Sometimes you write sensible and intelligent things sometimes very dumb things. Your above post is dumb.

First of all, people laughing at a coin does not magically make it not a coin. Next, "medallion" is not the same as "coin" no matter which uninformed person believes it might be. You either like the coin or not...it's that simple. You don't have to make a federal case out of your opinion on it. But if you are planning on calling it not a coin, then that's a very dumb choice. It's a coin....just leave it at that.

As for the Weir round, I had written that if that phrase was intended to be a homonym of Roto Rooter, then automatically I would classify it as a very stupid piece. Since you , nor I, nor probably most people know what Roota is supposed to be, then the round is not worth my time because it is emblazoned with an absolute meaningless (to you, I, and most people) phrase. You like it Pirocco, you buy it and buy millions of it....I don't care what you do with it. :)

15. Pirocco

Hey, that's just how people here threat it, and those people are the customers, so even in case you would praise the holy grail that its a coin, it might be an idea to agree :p
    About the Weir coin, your two words Roto Rooter tell me nothing, not standalone and not together. I don't care what that destination Roota is, I've started to read about it back then but it started to become too longwinded to continue. I bought the coin for the design, and the words Road to Roota sound to me like the words Road to Salina, that's a movie, and I don't know what Salina is either. Did it stop me from watching the movie, no sir it didn't. :)

16. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Maybe it's just me, but the detail on that 37mm high sculpture looks very impressive.

I can't see myself buying one, but I don't think the (arguably silly) concept detracts from the quality of the workmanship.

17. chubbycheeks

chubbycheeks Member

It's just my own personal opinion, I don't hate it nor do I like it, I just don't feel it should be listed as a coin. Regardless of what someone else has defined what a coin should be it still wouldn't change my view on the matter.

If you like the art work go for it there's nothing wrong with that.

18. SpacePete

SpacePete Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Maybe the sort of people who buy watches that look like this:

[​IMG]

or this:

[​IMG]

19. mmissinglink

Actually, the contention I have with your initial statement has nothing to do with whether you or I feel comfortable with the coin design but rather that you somehow think that maybe a coin highlighted in this thread should be called something else. It's a coin, whether you or I feel comfortable with the coin design or not. That's why I posted those links to all those other non-typical coins....because that's what I was contending in your statement.

Here's an analogy to what you are doing; someone posts a link to an article which talks about the new Federal Reserve Note with an accompanying pic of the note:
    [​IMG]

And then you chime in stating, "I'm not sure that should be listed as a Federal Reserve Note..."

You see my point now? It is a Federal Reserve Note whether we feel comfortable with the design or not. The 3D Springbok gold coin is a coin whether we feel comfortable with the design or not.

20. chubbycheeks

chubbycheeks Member

Great analogy.

Like I said regardless of what someone tells me what a coin should be, If I don't want to call something a coin I really don't have to. Your entitled to your opinion and I respect that. I'd still never call the African Spingbok sculpture a coin.