Advice on 1989 clouded claw

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by Marcusboy, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Marcusboy

Marcusboy New Member

Hi,

I need some advice on a 1989 clouded claw. I was looking at a 68 clouded claw but was advised by a member here that since price has dropped to consider a 69. These coins don't come cheap so I like your advice on what would be a better buy - 1) or 2)

1) http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-China-...077?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5891a1e815

This coin comes with COA

Or

2) http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-China-...828?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6a5fac64

This coin is conserved but does not have COA.

Seller of coin 1) says there might be some toning and white spots which he says are natural to these coins but are graded NGC69. Through my untrained eye I don't seem to be able to detect the toning or spots.

I would appreciate some advice as to which coin you might considered if you would purchase one.

Thank you.

2. Zinger

Zinger New Member

First of all, great choice. This really is an amazing medal, I have a few coins worth many times this, and they never get the oohhs and aaahs that this medal gets.

The one let-down for me is that it does not have a date as part of the design, but that is made up for by the brilliant art and the dragon/phoenix motif.

As for your choice, you have to decide how much the conservation is worth to you, and how much the medal is worth to you. There may be an even better opportunity next week, or these might sell tomorrow and the next ones are listed for 2k.

As for the conservation, if you are planning on holding the medal for a long time, I do not think the extra $150 will matter. If you don't spend it and your coin tones unevenly or develops white spots I will bet you wish you had.

If it was me, I would make a best offer on the conserved medal to see how cheap he will go.

3. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Neither...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CHINA-19...353?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3371a5e429

Cheaper :D

ps. Wouldn't mind toning that much, it can be remedied with NCS and even toning looks good but white spots are a pain... unfortunately NCS doesn't guarantee white spots don't form so for me I'd just go for the cheapest PF69 with no white spots.

pps. Surprised how few there are on eBay right now; used to be heaps listed. Might see a boost in prices soon when the final few are cleaned out.

ppps. Can't wait till mines arrives next week... the way Zinger talks about it it's like the best MCC everrrr :D

4. Marcusboy

Marcusboy New Member

Thanks Zinger and Fishball for the advice. Yeah, am considering the purchase and will have to see what works. After what Zinger said and Fishball looking forward to his purchase, I must say I will be having instant noodles for quite a while :)

5. Marcusboy

Marcusboy New Member

Sorry folks, I just realized this post should not be here since it is not panda related :rolleyes: apologies to the moderator.

6. Zinger

Zinger New Member

Not the best ever, however it is a stunning medal.

The 1987 God of Longevity is even better, and something like http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/9634356 is in a whole other league.

I think it is the most appropriate forum for this discussion. While not a panda, this forum is really for the discussion of Modern Chinese Coins/Medals.

7. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

That's why I was trying to tell everybody that having 5 to 8 PF 69s of these listed at one time was unusual. It was a hoard from a single source that was dumped on the market all at once.

The coins on the market now are also from the same collection, but the top ones seem to have gone into strong hands.

8. fishball

I'm surprised Xu Hong doesn't have this coin medal in OMP on his store, he has everything.

Is that a sign of how rare this is? :D

9. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

Interesting point.

They are pretty rare. For example, I own about 1/10% of all the gods of war & wealth including all varieties. And my collection is small (relatively speaking).

10. Zinger

Zinger New Member

Do you give much weight to all the varieties, especially the "broken finger" and "super clear" that is mentioned in the china coin forum.

They seem to me like they could be the product of die wear and reconditioning. Or worse, slight differences to mark the different dies used in restrikes.

It doesn't seem likely to have 6 or more different die pairs to mint a mere 2500 medals. Especially when compared to the mere 2 varieties seen in the 1987 God of Longevity.

11. fishball

eBay item: 330686767722

PF 70 super clouded claw $100,000.

Phwoaaaaaaaar bargain.

12. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

I do give them weight, yes. I don't know if they were all different die pairs, but they have clearly produced different strikes.

13. Thor122

Thor122 New Member

Tricky seller
    Sell luis vutton or imitations?
    I donk know of bags