Advice for Selling on Ebay?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Groges, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Groges

Groges Active Member Silver Stacker

Hi guys, been looking at listing some stuff on Ebay for a while now, was wondering if people with experience had any tips for this?

One thing that has kept me away from listing things so far is the idea of a buyer claiming to ebay that they never received their items from me (when really they have). Any solutions to get around this happening ?

Anyway as always I'll be listing my upcoming items on this forum first and then go from there. This forum is IMO still the best place to trade precious metals :)

Any input is appreciated

2. Stoic Phoenix

Stoic Phoenix Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

1 - work out what money you actually want in the hand then add at least 15% to that for your listing price.
    2 - send everything with tracking.

Im sure others can add points 3-10 but they would be the main two in my mind.

swoydaz and Groges like this.
  3. Groges

Definitely agree with you Stoic, do people recommend SOD as well?

swoydaz likes this.
  4. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

DON'T sell on fleebay

swoydaz, Skyrocket and Stoic Phoenix like this.
  5. enzedda

enzedda Member

If your item is worth over $50, do add SOD, this is the only way you'll get reimbursed if delivery was disputed. You may need insurance for really pricey items as well just for your own piece of mind, especially if the buyer has a bit of dodgy feedback regarding items not received in the past.

Groges likes this.
  6. Groges

haha speaking from experience there?

What are the typical stresses that sellers run into?

7. Soprano16

Soprano16 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I buy from eBay when there are coupons and there is something actually worth getting, but selling here on the forum is always the easiest and best way

The above points all stand, but also, make sure your listing title covers all bases, because you want your results to come up when people keyword search, which most do as they aren't obviously going to sift through 20k+ listings

Eg/

Bad: 1oz 2012 Dragon

Good: Perth Mint 1oz Silver Lunar Dragon Coin 2012

Put the Mint, the size, the type, the year, everything you can, into the title to get the most exposure

8. Groges

This is the exact situation which has kept me away from selling on Ebay thus far, What measures do you guys take when selling on Ebay to avoid this type of thing? would filming yourself packaging of the product make any difference?

Chad Valiant likes this.
  9. Groges

Also, excellent point about keywords Soprano, much appreciated

10. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yep, good advice! I suffered stress when I recently auctioned off my one year old PC graphics card to buy a new one. The highest bidder/buyer turned out to be a complete newbie with no feedback history. So I took a video of my graphics card working perfectly thinking the person was going to say something like it don't work (there been cases where people swap their overclocked broken cards for working ones). I waited in stress for around 3 weeks or so until returns could be made. Thankfully it didn't happen.

11. Silverbandit007

Silverbandit007 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Make sure you add everything in listing title as Soprano said in his reply.
    Good: Perth Mint 1oz Silver Lunar Dragon Coin 2012 - I would add 999 and bullion as well in my listings,
    Always sendanything over $40-50 with signature on delivery/registered.
    Remember the fees are approx. 13.5% plus 0.30 cents for eBay and PayPal together.
    I have been selling on eBay for a while now and have had no one dispute delivery etc, only had one question a coin they got. Try to answer all messages and if someone sends you a ridiculous message just go and block them.
    If you sell in bulk you can get padded envelopes off eBay delivered which cost you 0.10 cents each if you buy 200 at a time, same envelope is around $1 at post office, they fit up to 3-4 1oz coins in nicely.

Groges and kiona like this.
  12. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

this

13. Noxx

Noxx Member

Buyers can make a claim for up to 6 months on ebay! That's freaking nuts.

Also to all the guys saying do this or that. I'm sorry but it makes no difference at all. Ebay doesn't care about the proof. They pretty much always side with the buyer. If they try to say it wasn't delivered and tracking says it was that's not even good enough. You have to have signature confirmation. If you have proof of that then that's about the only thing that will help you. But there are a hundred other scrams or claims they can use. I think what ebay does is if a person has to many claims they get flagged. But I'm sure they can get away with it for a long time. I've heard of people getting caught scamming and when other sellers asked ebay to go back and look at their closed case with that scammer they wouldn't.

With that being said it's pretty rare to have a problem in the grand amount of transactions that happen. A lot of scams happen when a buyer is just pissed off. Item wasn't as described, not as good condition as rated, sent with cheaper slower shipping, take forever to even get it shipped out, not packed good etc. Then they feel scammed themselves and wasted time and angry. So they retaliate. Take lots of photos and be very accurate with the description, pack well. ship fast. Should have no problems.

The amount of money lost on ebay and paypal fees is nuts though. That's a whole other subject. Going to lose like $3 an ounce after fees and shipping.

Groges likes this.
  14. Silverling

Silverling Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

With my ebay account in Australia I get 30 free listings a Month or $1,500 worth of sales, whichever comes first. If you have add ons to your free listings then they charge for that. If an item doesn't sell then the value of that item gets re credited to your $1500 balance.

The best part of ebay is that you can list for free if you are within your limits and if the item doesn't sell there are no fees.

The worst part of ebay are their fees.

The most important thing to factor into your sales is that dreaded fee. You pay 10.9% to ebay on the final valuation of your sale, including the postage as far as I know. Also if you get paid by paypal then there is a further fee from them of 2.6%. That is 13.5% in fees, OUCH!!

Don't do yourself out of money by not taking fees into consideration, good luck.

Groges likes this.
  15. Silverbandit007

Depends how much you sell on eBay I have 40 free listings and $17000 per month

16. Silverling

I got to do a lot more selling to catch up to you guys.:eek::D:D

17. Silverbandit007

I just recieved a promo to sell and list next 10 items for free, so eBay is good for those type of deals every now and then.

18. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

3 - Photos are everything. Learn how to take good photos and the importance of light, framing, perspective and macro for small items.

And be aware that ebay automatically report you to the ATO for over $20k in sales a year.

Groges likes this.
  19. Davros10

Davros10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

^ not me

20. Silverling