Abbott Wins! Stock market up 18%.

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by col0016, Sep 7, 2013.

1. petey

petey Active Member Silver Stacker

So isn't it in our best interest for the country to shit itself?

Or is everyone here just hedging their bets? :lol:

2. trew

trew Active Member Silver Stacker

No I'd much prefer the country not to shit itself

3. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It is. Only from that point can we expect a real recovery.

4. petey

petey Active Member Silver Stacker

I'm so cynical that I still see failures in both scenarios.

Can kicking = never resolving issues
    Crash = they'll sort things out a little, but it be like building a brand new shopping mall on a swamp

5. Earthjade

Earthjade Member

It's like coming home shitfaced early Sunday morning and thinking you can just get to bed and sleep it off.
    However, you know that the best thing to do would be to kneel in front of the toilet bowl for a while - only then are you truly on the path to recovery.

6. Ag

Ag Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Think its time for some over due tough love. Not loving the idea but ready to take my lumps to get our crippled economy running again

7. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

I'm not so negative as many about the Libs and Nats getting back in. They are better for business, who employ so many, and better for small business, who employ many more. Roads will be built, hopefully. The media cycle will slow down as it is governing and not getting the dear leader seen on television that it is important. Mines that have been held off from investing should start working again - look at the Labor wipeout in Tasmania where the shovel ready iron ore mines are - exciting times for the unemployed of that state, the victims of the Greens policies.

The usual whinging from public sector unions will ramp up and we will have a tough budget the first time, just like the Howard/Costello first budget. We need that to turn the economy around.

All you people who want both sides to fail simultaneously because you have a stack...seems odd to me. So much negativity.

8. robertc400

robertc400 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I dont care for politics too much but have always been a labour man. They look after the little guys a bit more. I wonder though, how many people (who voted to the Liberals) forgot about those work choices they introduced!!!

9. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What was wrong with Work Choices? Please explain!

10. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

Whats ironically sweeter than the libs victory? The sour grapes of the commies :lol:

11. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

12. volrathy

volrathy Active Member

This is what was expected under gillard

http://www.abc.net.au/news/federal-election-2013/calculator/?poll=lnpbest

Aka he hasnt done that badly

13. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

The economy will only get stronger if the EU comes out of recession, China keeps growing by buying our coal and iron ore, the dollar dosen't drop to 80cent forcing, oil prices rise forcing the cost of petrol to rise to $1.70/1.80 a litre. Tourism, Manufacturing (whats left of it) an education should benefit by a lower AU $.

Whether you be red or blue, we should all hope that Australia doesn't go the way of the US, Japan, EU, UK. Ireland, Greece, Cyprus and Iceland.. All have huge debt compared to Australia. However Australian private debt is among the world's highest.

The price and scarcity of oil is a drag on the economies of all developed countries. Remember roads are made from oil, at least the top part.

China has made more high speed rail than all other countries combined since 2008..We have built none.. Now is the time to start to build a better rail system. Qld still only has a one track system from Nambour North..Freight trains have to wait on sidings for other trains to pass.. It has been like this for 50 years and neither the reds or blue teams have spent any big $$ on rail in Qld outside of Brisbane.

Clive Palmer will have something to say on this that is for sure.

Regards Errol 43

14. AngloSaxon

AngloSaxon Active Member

Fast rail has already been superceded. The Sydney/Melbourne air route, isn't that one of the busiest in the world? The free market has spoken and people fly in Australia.

The issue of freight trains wouldn't be solved by a very fast rail system as it would only stop in the capital cities or at best the larger towns like Newcastle. Anyone wanting to take a train between regional towns or go from the interior to a capital city won't be served by a VFT.

15. volrathy

volrathy Active Member

superceded by what ? It takes me 7 hrs to travel from the central coast nsw to melbourne via air travel. I would take 2 1/2 to 3 via HSR. It uses 1/8th of the fuel air travel does. Its cheaper and quicker to travel via HSR then car / bus / airplane. I think its disgraceful that the government is spending $90 billion on faster internet yet what should have been basic infrastructure 15 yrs ago keeps getting put off

^ however both NBN and Bullet Trains in reality should be privately funded and run and have multiple companies running similar projects aka competition breeds better value for everyone

16. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Just an observation, if my memory serves me correctly, when labor wins there does not appear to be as acrimonious a reaction from the liberal supporters.

However, when the reverse happens, well the bitterness erupts in greater measure from labor supporters.

17. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

There can be. I remember when Salary-Anne Atkinson lost her job as Lord Mayor of Brisbane - my god she and her supporters squealed.

18. Earthjade

Earthjade Member

You're joking, right?
    Both sides scream blue murder in their turn and moan about how the new government is going to destroy everything.
    But I have news for you - governments haven't been in charge of anything for a long time, other than slugging you with new taxes.
    And somehow, I don't expect Abbott and Numbers Joe are going to be giving me a tax cut anytime soon.

19. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not joking.

And just for the record, I grew up in a labor household so deeply entrenched that my Dad was vice president of one of the unions, and used to associate with Bob Hawke back in the day.

20. MyNamesNotBen

MyNamesNotBen New Member

What a load of rubbish. Have you seen the state of our internet infrastructure for people who don't live in major cities?? Its shocking. Privatisation of large infrastructure projects and natural monopolies DOES NOT WORK. This has been proven time and time again. Just look at americas healthcare system ffs.