A bit of nOOb help please

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by deswa, Feb 28, 2011.

1. deswa

deswa New Member

Hey,

Looking at BUFFALO 1oz .999 Fine Silver Art Bar on eBay (250775811518). Are these cool as pure investment/barter as I'm liking the price or would I be better paying a higher premium for coins that have the same qualities but also some numismatic value as well?

I appreciate your insightful comments.

Cheers, Des

2. Captain Kookaburra

Captain Kookaburra Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

These are fairly common. They are an ounce of Silver, but they tend to trade at that.

I wouldn't advise anyone to invest in any quantity. It nice to have one in your collection though.

Ck.

3. pmfiend

pmfiend New Member

The fact that your having to ask about it tells me that it is not something that I want to personally stack. (do not read that as any kind of insult, read as "confused customers don't buy")

I stick to the stuff with proven demand.

4. Lord Dragon

Lord Dragon Member

As CK said, I wouldnt buy them in quantity, they will be to hard to shift if want to sell them at some point. You would probably only be able to get spot for them later.

5. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

I actually had to go and check the listing - I've seen the term "art bar" applied to fake bullion before like german silver, which coincidentally is available in exactly the same design.

My advice for new stackers is to avoid eBay altogether - there's too many products on there like 100 mills, HGE, layered, plated, german silver, nickel silver etc that are all designed to look like bullion but are merely alloyed or plated imitations. Better off buying through a dealer until you've gained familiarity with the physical market.

6. 2ds

2ds New Member

It sounds to me like you guys are saying only buy if you can get them very close to spot.

7. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

I like to stick to legal tender coins (kook, maple, ASE etc..) as I assume forgers would be hesitant is faking these as counterfeiting currency probably attracts the attention of the AFP/FBI...

8. deswa

deswa New Member

Thanks for the replies - confirmed my thoughts as such (and a little research). I've been enjoying this forum for weeks and was sure I'd get at least one straight answer.

9. yo0n

yo0n New Member

hey guys... i just registerd.. but have been lurking on these forums for a whole..

i am planning on investing in coins... and was just wondering wheres a good place online with the best price to buy some ASE/Philharmonics... else where would you guys recommend in melb for me to spend some dosh on some nice coins???

10. realisticmystic

realisticmystic New Member

I have a few rolls of buffalos. I look at it like this - they are one ounce of silver. If or should I say when silver goes to 100 pieces of fiat paper for one ounce I'll be happy even if I only sell them at spot price at the time. Even if I bought them now at 35 (i bought them at much lower). Wouldn't buy them for the numismatic value however as some of the comments allude to

11. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

Check out the site sponsors they are all very competitive, not sure about the flavour you want though.

Also welcome aboard

12. yo0n

yo0n New Member

thanks guys for all your help.. i ended up buying some off bullionburse.. now just havta wait for them to arrive.. =]