600,000 Electric Cars in Ten Years - Your Thoughts??

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by mrsilverservice, Apr 5, 2019.

1. mrsilverservice

mrsilverservice Well-Known Member

This is so crazy to me that I think it warrants it's own thread.

Lets just say this from the start -

Australia produces ONLY 1.3% of the worlds CO2 emissions,and as I have said before if we DON'T produce even one cubic millimeter of the stuff living in a hole in the ground it won't make "barely" any difference as stated by the countries Chief Scientist.

Electric Cars In Ten Years -

There is to my shock 24 electric cars available in Australia to buy with 20 of them being $60,000 or more to buy,so most people will not be able to afford them.

Bill Shorten wants 50% of all new cars purchased in Australia by 2030 to be electric,soon enough it will be 2020 so that is 60,000 per year starting possibly as soon as June this year if the Labor party is elected.

Bill Shorten while on the Carl and JackieO talk back radio station two days ago falsely stated that it would take between 8 to 10 minutes to charge an electric cars,this bloke is completely clueless with some talking up to fourteen hours (reviewed number)

Even a "quick charge" giving you an 80% charge will take 30 minutes.

Ok things "might" get a bit cheaper/better but rare earth metals are expensive and will get only more expensive I would say.

But what troubles me is this - the only people who will be able to afford these cars are "richer people" receiving even more government subsidies to go with the other subsidies like the solar panels that sit on their roofs.

Bear in mind that 30% to 40% of families rent not even considering putting solar panels on a house they could vacate anytime.

But what really troubles me the most is this - why is this complete bullshit being
    inflicted upon Australia while the major admitters like China,India and America are doing little if anything at all.

Why - ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Foot Note - and not to forget the charging of the 600,000 cars = more (wasted) billions.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    Shaddam IV and GoldenEye like this.
  2. GoldenEye

GoldenEye Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You need to realise that it's not about the environment, or what's good for people. It's all about UN Agenda 21, and once you understand this it all makes sense. :(

milled, Oddjob, Shaddam IV and 2 others like this.
  3. jultorsk

jultorsk Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not to forget there's currently no capacity to produce or grid sufficient for the electricity to charge for all those electric vehicles... So what, let's start building charging stations on the highways straight away - otherwise we'll all be dead in 12 years :rolleyes:
    Agreed, if anyone seriously publicly says out loud they think it takes 8-10 minutes to charge an electric car, they have demonstrated irreparable cluelessness.

4. l***g

l***g Active Member Silver Stacker

This is one more thing the Government shouldn’t be involved in, remove all Government subsidies on power, fuel, vehicle imports etc and let the market sort it out.

But it’s not a free market so what are the best stocks to buy to benefit from this?

5. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If you dont want a electric car... dont buy one.

Labour and Technology dont mix but people make a fortune from it... so just make sure you are on the financially winning side.

mrsilverservice likes this.
  6. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If everyone will be forced to have an electric car then what happens to people without a garage? People who rent a house or live in an apartment without a parking space? If you aren't fortunate to live in a dwelling with a garage and you park your car on the street as millions of people are forced to then you become a member of the underclass because you cannot charge your vehicle overnight. Does Baldrick Shorten think that a couple of million people in Sydney or Melbourne are going to run out an extension cord across the footpath and down the street every night?

Politicians are so out of touch. I heard that a sculptor wanted to carve a state of Bill Shorten but he couldn’t find a plank that was thick enough.

jultorsk, Oddjob and mrsilverservice like this.
  7. mrsilverservice

I just heard the result of a poll held this week that found Paulin Hanson is more trusted than dodgy Billy Boy Shorten :D

I really cannot believe even for one second as bad as the Liberal coalition has been that anybody with even half a brain would vote for him but the kooks do,that just reminds me that Australia is full of very stupid people :confused:

8. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Australia has a large amount of people (me included) that love holidaying in the outback with their 4wds, lots of grey nomads doing it too. Electric vehicles can't go outback. Are we to give that away?

9. milled

milled Active Member

That's a good way to look at it. As a self-interested trade. That is most likely what it represents at the top too, for Shorten's backers.

Electric cars would be more a feature of urbanites who don't intend to drive long distance. The 3 big cities - have maybe 15 million in them (if we include the gold coast in greater brisbane). Add to that another 1.5million for Canberra and Perth, maybe 17 million is the general size of the market.

Maybe best to look at the markets in Europe and even better USA.

10. Oddjob

Oddjob Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Mt Isa to Tenant Creek today... one place for lovely fossil fuel along the way... Didn't see one Tesla on the road...I wonder why.

Skyrocket and mrsilverservice like this.
  11. milled

milled Active Member

I saw a battery charger out near the dog on the tuckerbox around Gundagai not all that long ago.

Can't imagine it out near Tennant Creek though. And you'd be properly rooted if your Tesla went flat out there.

12. l***g

mrsilverservice and Shaddam IV like this.
  13. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think electric vehicles make perfect sense if you want to control every aspect of a person's life. Track where they go, how far they can go, prevent unauthorized refueling, prevent tampering/modifying the vehicle ... etc.

Watch the Top Gear Tesla refuel (link): "The account is linked to the car".

Link

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-n...mit-more-lifetime-co2-than-a-petrol-supermini

14. milled

milled Active Member

that is astute, cut the wayward rube from the grid, every refuel is uploaded, like every single page turned on kindle

15. Ag bullet

Ag bullet Well-Known Member

to me it's a matter of physics on a grade 10 high school level.

how many gigawatt hours of energy derived from petrol/diesel does 50% of new cars use?
    that amount of gigawatt hours plus more has to be added to the electricity grid, ON TOP off current grid output.
    it's a simple question of where does that energy come? does the grid need upgrading to handle the extra load? will residents of south australia be exempt because you can't turn on a tv without risking a state wide power outage down there can you?

more coal fired thermal generation? nuclear? cough......renewables? better start building some pumped hydro storage's to store the solar energy for use when it is actually required because who doesn't want to charge their car at night?
    if the energy used by the electric cars is generated from fossil fuel power stations then what's the point of all this?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    mrsilverservice and jultorsk like this.
  16. l***g

17. STC

STC Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think Bills charging in 10minutes relies on the % of charge your battery has remaining, you won’t drive your electric car until it’s flat, you’d be more likely to stop every 200km, have a charge & a stretch etc so it’s plausable.

Price point is a barrier, as with anything new but prices come down so if a small % of the target amount of vehicles doubling every year for 10 years could be a more realistic possibility. Retro fitting of secondhand electric vehicles with newer tech to extent range is also possible. From what I’ve read electric cars are much more reliable because of fewer moving parts etc for drivechain but imagine suspension/tires would be same as ICE vehicles.

We can look at countries like China & the US as the early adopters who pay & pave the way for the electric car price point to come down to normal car prices.

I could not find a definitive number of charging stations in Australia but did find a recent article announcing immediate plans to expand & link existing electric networks connecting all Australian capitals - https://www.caradvice.com.au/726542...re-is-high-priority-infrastructure-australia/
    The article states Australia is way behind the rest of the world but I’m actually impressed at how many stations we have & amazed at the variety of locations.

Since the 2011 to 2018 the amount of charging stations in the UK has risen from 900 to 18000 in 7 years, how many more over the next 10 years.. I used UK as an example because the a more of a medium than say China or US.
    C8A8334B-B241-42A4-92B9-60423EA122DF.jpeg
    https://www.drivezero.com.au/electric-car-charging-stations/

People in Europe are doing their own version of the big lap.
    A0A01177-3151-47BC-B116-4DAD65F6F8AA.jpeg
    https://bensmann.no/towing-caravan-tesla-model-x-europe

Americans are towing boats & horses!
    A154ABAE-DB7E-40A3-901D-D0DFDCA4667A.jpeg

I think it’s inevitable that the next stage of our transport will be electric. We just need a push to hurry it up. It’s not an “IF” but a “When”.

18. mrsilverservice

"We just need a push to hurry it up" - why because of "global warming :confused:

This 600,000 electric cars in just ten years is central to Labors "safe the planet" rubbish policies and Billy Boy Shorten didn't even know the basics about charging them - that is the point I am making - that is 60,000 per year potentially starting in 10 weeks :eek:

"The article states that Australia is behind ""the rest"" but not far enough behind for me o_O

The photo's are fine if you never want or need to go "off road" or you just want to decide for yourself how you want to live :)

I guarantee this crazy Billy Boy Shorten policy will be his version of the pink batts fiasco,pink batts 2.0 with it hardly get off the ground - 600,000 electric cars in ten years = NO = Shit loads of wasted $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Yes!

Labor are the masters
    of wasting your taxes and this will just be another huge waste of your money :mad: doing ZERO for the worlds imagined threat of "global warming"

As I see it we will kill each other with our bare hands before any warming of anything :eek:

One thing I have learned about Australians - we have more money than brains :D

yuripuka and Skyrocket like this.
  19. sgbuyer

sgbuyer Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Environment is one thing but do batteries even work for cars or have they created a better battery for cars? My iPhone lithium battery is half dead only after 3 years. Has there been Long term serious research on how car batteries perform over time? Anyone owns an electric car? :)

20. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member