54 Pre'46 Florins

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by aussie105, Jun 6, 2011.

1. aussie105

aussie105 New Member

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and have found it full of great information. My father recently gave me his modest coin and stamp collection which he hasnt touched in 30 years. It seems a fair bit of the value is actually in the metal value. (decimal stamps are worth less than toilet paper!)

I will sell some of the odd bits and bobs that have no sentimental value to me or my father. I have seen the calculators at the top, but is the spot price the only value in these coins? I know none of them are particularly rare. As a few are a bit worn I have weighed them to give a better indicator of their silver value.

I have 54 pre'46 florins that weigh 599grams (should be 610.74) which accounts for the wear on the older ones. So at 92.5% silver content for pre-46 coins that makes it 554.075grams - 19.544oz

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Where will I get the best price for these? Ebay, here, bullion trader?

2. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Hi,

Well Ebay will maximise your revenue if you sell one by one and dispaly top quality of images and do full grading and mintage etc. But if you value your time and after you give them a decent chunk of money made, maybe sell them as a lot of sell them in lots of 3 (roughly one ounce for the 3).

You should be able to get spot for these HERE id suggest but if you want more be prepared to work for your money.. maybe take out the 1910's and the high grade stuff and put on ebay and sell the remainder as a lot OR

keep it.. this stuff is highly collectable and IMO a better asset class than most.. but i dont know your financial situation so..

1for1

3. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

welcome!

Nice little stack of silver you have there, an excellent start to a silver collection which may go up quite a bit in value the way things are going. You could do a lot worse than hang onto them.

However you asked the best place to sell them.

EBay; people are willing to pay ridiculously over the top, this is more noticable when silver is on the rise. I doubt there will be such a frenzy now that it has dropped. Factor in that you will lose 10-12% in eBay and paypal fees.

Here is a good place to sell them, plenty of motivated buyers, many who think silver is going to the moon, there will be a shortage of physical silver and that whatever you pay now will be more than returned once the manipulation is over. However most of us are used to getting predecimal silver at spot price and below. It doesn't get the premiums that the pure stuff gets.

I am not an expert on the predecimal series so there may be a few to look out for and I would look at keeping any in very good conditionto one side, you can always sell them some other time once you know a bit more about them.

4. Jislizard

1for1 beat me to it! With scarely similar advice...

5. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

LOL.. yours was easier to read.. but YES great minds! :)

6. Dan Unda

Dan Unda Member Silver Stacker

FYI,

Your ounces are Avoirdupois (avdp) ounces.. 28.35 gm

A Troy ounce is 31.103 gm, therefore your 554.075 gm = 17.814 ozt

Just thought I'd mention it... ;)

:)

7. Austacker

Austacker Active Member

I am pretty sure you would get a buyer here that would take the lot. Personally unless you need the money I would keep these they are only going to increase in value and Florins have some good numis value even in these states.

Ebay will get you a better premium as mentioned but fees and hassle of loose lots sometimes just ain't worth it IMO. Good luck either way.

8. aussie105

aussie105 New Member

Avoirdupois eh? Learning quite a bit today :)

Thanks to all for the quick, informative replies. I do admire these coins and it is sad that they may be melted down one day but for me they are just sitting in a container, and my '66 Alfa Romeo project needs a few cash injections so unfortunately the coins go. I will have a bit more of a rummage in the next day or two to get all the loose silver together (found another 1927 florin just then) and will put them up for sale in the appropriate category here. Below is the list of coins so far, might keep a couple of my wife's puddings! Which ones? Probably just the nicest eh?

Yep, had a couple of messages already so will probably sell on here.

1910 2
    1914 1
    1915 1
    1916 1
    1917 2
    1918 2
    1919 1
    1921 2
    1922 2
    1924 2
    1925 1
    1926 1
    1927 2
    1931 1
    1934 1
    1935 1
    1936 3
    1939 1
    1940 8
    1941 7
    1942 13

55 total so far

9. Jislizard

Probably not for a long time, refiners don't pay full price for sterling so I would imagine they will pass from hand to hand for many more years before that happens.

Well take a few with a bit of detail and then rub them with a bit of Bi-carb to really get them clean before you put them in the Xmas pudding. You might even want to swap them for some sixpences as part of the deal, most people won't mind.

If you don't want them I would definitly put them up here for a quick sale, might even have a look myself even though I am waiting for the big crash!

10. Graeme

Graeme Member Silver Stacker

Hi aussie105. Nice bunch of florins you have there. :)

The florins dated 1910, 1914 and 1915 are worth more than bullion value even in poorer condition so I'd put these aside for the time being. The florins dated 1918, 1919, 1921 and 1939 should still be worth more than bullion value as well.

To preserve the potential resale value, make sure you don't clean any of the coins as this can damage the surface if you intend selling on coin value over bullion value

If you take a photograph of the kings head (obverse) of these coins, it allows a truer grade to be assessed especially with the years I mentioned above.

11. aussie105

aussie105 New Member

Thanks Graeme,
    So these are the ones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll put both lots up in the For Sale section this arvie to gauge interest. I guess I would prefere pickup but what is the safest option for postage? and the best way to pack them using typical packing material?

12. Graeme

Graeme Member Silver Stacker

I would grade all coins, with the exception of the 1939 as grade G due to significant wear on the obverse and reverse. The 193 could probably get away with VG. Catalogue values below are a guide for VG condition, so I would roughly halve them for G. If selling them, I wouldnt expect these prices though

1910 VG $45 G $25
    1914 VG $16 G $BV (assuming no H under date as cannot see)
    1915 VG $50 G $25 (assuming H under date as common issue)
    1918 VG $20 G $BV
    1921 VG $27 G $15
    1939 VG $18 G $BV

BV = Bullion value

13. aussie105

aussie105 New Member